GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
I love the 6 speed manual, it's precise, a bit notchy but to me it feels great and shifts great. Have you ever driven an 80s Porsche 911? That's the definition of a sucky transmission.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I don’t think the actual shift/shifter is that bad. It is the clutch that is really the culprit. The long travel and lack of feel really results in a jerky driving experience IMO.

Joel76

Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, MK7 GTI
I don’t think the actual shift/shifter is that bad. It is the clutch that is really the culprit. The long travel and lack of feel really results in a jerky driving experience IMO.
Yeah, lack of feel. I noticed that right away coming from a RSX-S 6 speed ... that car had a great clutch ... just no power compared to a V-dub.

clarence35

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll second this. After trying a couple of shifter upgrades, I'd recommend just deleting the clutch delay valve and removing the clutch assist spring and stopping there (unless your rubber endlink bushings are actually worn out or you truly hate the long stock throws).

I drove an MK5 GTI for 13 years without touching the stock shifter -- not the best shifter, but it was fine and suited the car for what it was. I recently moved on to an MK7 GTI and decided this time around I'd try the VW OEM euro short shifter and CTS Turbo metal cable endlink bushings. The long throws don't really bother me, but I was hoping to get a more direct gearbox feel.

With the OEM euro short shifter and CTS metal bushings installed, it's got slightly shorter throws and slightly more mechanical feel when going into gear. Slightly, that's it. Maybe I was expecting more of an improvement based on other people's reviews, but it doesn't transform the GTI's shifter into a nice Honda shifter that's for sure (my other car is a Honda S2000).

Overall, I'm satisfied with the short shifter since it retains the smooth nature of stock, but it does require a little more shift effort. I personally wouldn't go any shorter than the OEM euro short shifter unless you have a way to reduce the increased effort (such as counterweights or a weighted knob). I prefer this short shifter setup when driving in the canyons, but I actually prefer the stock shifter setup (w/rubber bushings) when putting around town. If I could do it again, I'd personally save my time and money and just stay with the stock shifter.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

long travel, lack of feel, ultra wide gear spread, soft sprung pressure plate, bath tub engine mounts... yeah add it all up you’ve got a shitty 6MT lol

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
long travel, lack of feel, ultra wide gear spread, soft sprung pressure plate, bath tub engine mounts... yeah add it all up you’ve got a shitty 6MT lol
way to make the new guy feel welcomed after he makes a detailed post trying to help others