GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Throw a Speed Bleeder in the OEM part and it's super easy to bleed. They're generally available at Autozone/O'Reilly/etc and cost maybe $10 or so.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
I got the ecstuning bleeder block, together with the clutch line. Had some issues with fitment, had to literally hammer the line into the block as it wouldn't fit as the ID may have been machined incorrectly, needless to say it works (just don't think i can ever separate the two now :LOL: ).

Long story short, went through all that hassle and in the end didn't feel any difference. The biggest and only change felt was when i went with the Dieselgeek short shifter.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I got the ecstuning bleeder block, together with the clutch line. Had some issues with fitment, had to literally hammer the line into the block as it wouldn't fit as the ID may have been machined incorrectly, needless to say it works (just don't think i can ever separate the two now :LOL: ).

Long story short, went through all that hassle and in the end didn't feel any difference. The biggest and only change felt was when i went with the Dieselgeek short shifter.
Interesting. I definitely feel a difference with removing the CDV. Bleeding the system also seems to have tightened things up on my car, maybe it just came with a little air in the system. The spring was a non factor for me, couldn't tell a difference and even threw it back in to be sure.

rallymaniac555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S MT
I'm going to attempt re-bleeding the system since after removal of the bleeder valve restrictor I didn't notice much difference in how the clutch feels or grabs other than the speed shifts are now properly violent with wheel spin even on the 2-3 shifts :)
The problem for me is still the vague feel of the clutch when driving normally. The shifts from 1-2 are the worst where the clutch grab point is not consistent on the pedal travel and sometimes it slips too much and some times it grabs too early making it into a jerky shift.
I hate the way it feels. I drove my 2015 GTI for almost 6 years and never had such problem as I have with this one on the 2020 model.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
There should be nothing different in the system from 15 to 20. Sure sounds like you have air in the system, I'd certainly suggest a fresh bleed, and since you're in there, might as well just flush the whole MC with a better fluid, doing the brakes while you're at it.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd it's either below 1500rpm or above 4000rpm. Those are the only times I've found it's sure to be smooth without waiting 2+ seconds to account for rev hang.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd it's either below 1500rpm or above 4000rpm. Those are the only times I've found it's sure to be smooth without waiting 2+ seconds to account for rev hang.
Any permanent solution to this issue or are we doomed to get lapped while waiting on the 1-2 lockout to end?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
A solution would require some serious VAG hacking knowledge. The rev hang is probably an emissions related ECU feature:
Do any tunes address this? I’ll switch in a heartbeat if they do.

gbar

Ready to race!
Do any tunes address this? I’ll switch in a heartbeat if they do.
Not that I'm aware of. Which is surprising because there is a market for these tunes in other vehicle platforms. Must be a technical barrier for MK7 tuners.
The only solution I'm aware of to minimize the hangup is a SMF, A/C on, and keeping the revs high

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I did the super slider a month ago - it was noticeable but upgraded to sigma six a few weeks after. Did the shaft bushing 2 nights ago, (did the scoring like he suggests), was noticeable. I’m doing the superpin this weekend. When I talked to him he said that the Zip tie and the nubbing were not something I need or should do since my car is a 2019 and the shifter box doesn’t have that play there anymore.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Not that I'm aware of. Which is surprising because there is a market for these tunes in other vehicle platforms. Must be a technical barrier for MK7 tuners.
The only solution I'm aware of to minimize the hangup is a SMF, A/C on, and keeping the revs high
A/C?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Any permanent solution to this issue or are we doomed to get lapped while waiting on the 1-2 lockout to end?

A solution would require some serious VAG hacking knowledge. The rev hang is probably an emissions related ECU feature:

To get rid of that rev hang isn't tune related. You need to remove the clutch assist spring, which is number one mod mentioned on page 1 of this thread.