GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

James740

Car(s)
17' MK7 6SP M/T
3) Clutch Delay-Valve Removal.
The most popular of the DIY MT mods, as well as being one of the first. The OEM "Bleeder Block" houses a small, greenish-yellow restricting ring that slows the amount of DOT-4 Fluid that can pass through at once. This restriction was put in place to delay the engagement (and diseng.) of the clutch. The original VAG purpose behind such a design is to slow down the clutch feeling in a way that is complimentary to drivers that are sloppy with engagement/disengagement (but becomes a hindrance when attempting fast, precise upshifts). Removing this restriction also removes the forceful "slipping" of the clutch in order to shift smoothly. The engagement point becomes much more pronounced as well. When you replace the stock clutch, it is highly recommended that this piece is removed if the bleeder block is not upgraded.

Instructions can be found here: http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/12185-tutorial-clutch-delay-valve-removal-manual-cars/

NOTE: Those advanced with power tools have actually drilled out the stock bleeder block in a way that opens up the channel for clutch fluid to pass through. This is a DIY option for the ECS Tuning Clutch Bleeder Block but I do not recommend such a mod.

6) Engine, Transmission and Dogbone Mounts
People sometimes forget that there are three mounts that work in conjunction in holding our engine and consequent assembly to both the transmission and bay. All can very quickly become soft, wiggly and ridden with excessive play. The two mounts that have the most impact on 6MT performance would be the transmission and dogbone mounts. Now, figuring out which one to go with is a little bit of a hassle, as you must first ask yourself what the goals for the car are. Harder, aluminum-based mounts will create a planted (to say the least) feeling in your forks. This is at the expense of NVH/vibrations in some cases. However, there are many options for aftermarket mounts that simply up the durometer of the rubber/poly (hardness-*ish) by a slight degree. Going this route will help keep gears from wriggling around on you as much, IE, a more stable feeling in the shift-forks. They can also help in reducing the dreaded 'wheel-hop' of higher HP FWD cars. Upgrades can be made to one or all three of the mounts to help plant and stabilize the feeling of gears, bay sway and FWD hop.

Link to a popular OEM+ style option that ups the durometer but sticks with a rubber/poly material (034 density line):
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...a3-s3-tt-tts-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r.html

Link to a very popular dogbone mount made of aluminum:
https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb...golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html

Link to a "dismiss the GF's whining about NVH, I wanna racecar mount. Will prevent majority of tranny/engine sway:
https://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfimk7mqbst2.html

Word of caution: If you upgrade your stock dogbone/ torque arm insert to a stiffer aftermarket design and forget about it for 10s of thousands of miles, more than likely the added stress onto the other two mounts has accelerated the wear of the OEM material.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Just wanted to share, I changed the stock gear oil to Motul 300 and what a BIG difference it made. The car is much smoother (even seems faster), alot less chatter from the SMF, and even in the cold it shifts into gear butter smooth. I should of done this along time ago.

I mostly agree with this, except I found the first shift into reverse to back out of the garage in the morning can be a bit difficult if car not really warmed up. Forward gears when cold are smooth, though seem notchier (which I kind of like) than with stock oil.

AndoFNchak

I removed the clutch assist spring last weekend but didn't notice much, if any, of a difference. This weekend I removed the bleeder block delay valve and holy crap what a difference. Completely new drive.

Here's the thing I ran into though. After deleting the valve, bleeding the line and putting it all back together, when I tried starting her, she wouldn't start and threw and EPC code at me. After a thorough panicking,, I re-bleed the clutch, put it back together and pulled the positive off the battery. After that she started no problem. I'm curious if anyone had that issue before if they possibly knew why I got the code? Could I have not bleed the clutch well the first time?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Also, just removed the clutch assist spring after several years of ownership. Haven't driven the car yet so we shall see I the hype about removal is correct. Didn't really have a problem with it in, but it was something to do while it rains. Just get use to it as I have done for over 45 years of driving different manuals.

JL33T

Ready to race!
I had a Boomba adapter installed but took it off because shifting into 2nd during hard driving would feel like it would crunch into gear. Once off it would shift fine into 2nd. Can this be an alignment issue? Just came across the diy on how to do that so I may put the Boomba back on and do the alignment. Anyone have a similar experience?

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I just re-synced the shifter and it made a huge difference. My 1-2 shift feels less crunchy now.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I had a Boomba adapter installed but took it off because shifting into 2nd during hard driving would feel like it would crunch into gear. Once off it would shift fine into 2nd. Can this be an alignment issue? Just came across the diy on how to do that so I may put the Boomba back on and do the alignment. Anyone have a similar experience?

Had that exact issue, felt like gear lockout to me. Switched to a DieselGeek shifter and it's world's better!

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Had that exact issue, felt like gear lockout to me. Switched to a DieselGeek shifter and it's world's better!

Did either of you realign the shifter cables after install?

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
Boomba also doesnt mesh very well with the ECS shifter bushings, just a lil fyi from past experience. Dropped both and ended up going with Dieselgeek.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I'm planning on doing the bleeder block delay valve removal very soon, and from what I've gathered here theres no performance benefit to just replacing the whole bleeder block with an aftermarket one such as this? It would be the same performance-wise as just removing the delay valve? (Stock tune)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The aftermarket one MIGHT flow a bit better but honestly IMO $100 isn't worth it. One of the benefits of purchasing this aftermarket blocks is that they have self-bleeders but it wasn't hard at all to bleed the stock one by myself