GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
My biggest gripe is the damn rev hang. I thought tuning it would get rid of that, but it doesn't seem to. Shifting from 1st to 2nd sucks unless I wait a good half second, and even then it seems like every other drive requires slightly different technique.

Mine has an awkward 1st to 2nd engagement too. And it isn't consistent at all. 2nd to 3rd is like butter.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Just removed the clutch spring. Talk about instant gratification, I can actually feel the engagement point now. Barely perceptible increase in pedal pressure, or maybe I am imagining it. That was the part that gave me pause but turned out to be a non-issue.

If you have a manual, this mod is a must. And talk about easy, it can be done in under 30 seconds and requires no tools. Just hold down the pedal and then pull on the spring and it comes unhooked. Then jiggle it at the top and it comes right out.

No more bogging down on low RPM takeoffs. Can't even believe this is on the car to begin with.

Basso Profundo

I just purchased the Audi short shift unit, in part due its being at a terrific price.

ECS has an installation video embedded in the item’s listing where they recommend adding grease (in the appropriate spots) but don’t say what type. I’ll be installing the part confident that, even though I’m an inexperienced mechanic, it should be quick and more easy than not. As for the grease, can anyone tell me what type I should purchase for this application?

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
The short shifter install is quite easy. When I did mine I left the little vacuum hose attached to the airbox and just flipped it out of the way, gets rid of the need for a pick and possibly ripping the line. Also DO NOT overtighten the nut on the shifter shaft when installing the new piece, people have had the stud break off (bad news). For the grease I have used white lithium and silicone brake grease on the shifter bushings, the silicone seems to stay in place better and I believe the factory grease on the slider for the up/down lever is silicone as well.

Basso Profundo

akimmel: Is there a recommended torque setting for the shaft nut? Just hand tighten to snug?

I wish there were instructions, though the ECS video goes a ways toward that end.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I'm sure there is one somewhere but I dont know it off the top of my head. I just snugged mine with a ratchet. The splines are what transfer the leverage from the short shifter to the shaft, the nut just keeps it all together.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
akimmel: Is there a recommended torque setting for the shaft nut? Just hand tighten to snug?

I wish there were instructions, though the ECS video goes a ways toward that end.
15 foot-lbs

ECS has really good instructions for all their products...

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...agen_6-Speed_Short_Shift_Kit_Installation.pdf

ShopDAP has a good install video for the Audi short shifter too

https://youtu.be/z6tMReibH7I

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The squeaky clutch pedal came back, which usually appeared in the winter. Ripped out the clutch return spring and the noise is gone.

Now back to re-doing the TTRS clutch kit :mad:

Basso Profundo

I installed the Audi unit a couple days ago. A pretty straightforward operation with a noticeable change in shifting feel. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, even more so at such a low cost.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this post. I learned how to drive manual based on feels and my skill is average at best. Y'all give me knowledge and courage (I don't know much about cars and never worked on cars by myself) to do my 1st mod :D, remove the assisted spring in the clutch pedal :)
it felt great!
also the Boomba Racing short shift trans adapter my friend help me installed, so easy took us 30 min instead of 5 as in instruction video mainly because I have intake in place, and needed to put different amount of spacers for the back/bottom braket to sit flush with the front/top.

the shifts are so much shorter now :)
http://www.boombaracing.com/2015-volkswagen-gti-golf-r-short-shift-transmission-adapter/
I have nothing else to compare it to except stock, so I can't say about precision or feel but the value speaks for itself.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
It's been said many times before, but want to add that the DieselGeek Sigma 6 shifter kit is absolute perfection incarnate. Just installed mine, and it was the last piece in making the 6MT just right. Also did the delay valve removal, clutch pedal stop, and return spring removal.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Installed the ECS stainless clutch line and deleted the swirl valve last night. Didn't notice much of a difference as far as engagement goes, but can definitely feel the vibration in the pedal now (in a good way). The swirl valve serves its purpose but it's nice to feel the connection to the clutch without it.

I've now done every mod from the OP and am very happy with the final result. Night and day difference from how the car came from the factory.