GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Make a mk7 6MT Suck Less

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I just did this alignment today with an allen key. No need to go out and buy a tool for it IMO.
First handed... the Allen worked good enough when I had the slop of the shifter, and endlinks, but once I did all the solid bushing/bracket/super pin and shaft bushing with the Allen it was not able to get the side to side adjustment aligned without a lot of tweaking. When you try the pin out you do feel how much tighter it locks in the shifter location as needed.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Exactly. An allen key works fine, until you try the actual tool. It's $7, we all spend plenty more on dumber things.

BadHombre760

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ya with the Allen key I was able to get the shifter alignment back to about 90% normal, and with the alignment pin it's near-perfect but I can still occasionally feel it's still off a tiny bit. I should try it again now that I installed new shaft bushing to see if that helps any

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Nope. Prior to the removal of that spring, there was quite a bit of delay between shifts. The spring removal helped and was the starting point that led to my other shifter mods, which is listed in my build thread.

grantpab

Nope. Prior to the removal of that spring, there was quite a bit of delay between shifts. The spring removal helped and was the starting point that led to my other shifter mods, which is listed in my build thread.
I'm glad it helped you but let's not confuse people here, there's no way for a clutch pedal spring to have any direct effect on engine RPM hangs. The only explanation for your improvement is that you weren't fully disengaging the clutch while shifting prior to doing the spring mod.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Posted in the Mk7 FB group today but I'll post here. I ordered the Southbend Stage 3 Daily and iAbed RMS, and I currently have the clutch pedal spring and delay valve removed. Should I ordered the ECS Bleeder Block as well as the ECS Stainless Steel clutch line? I'm definitely getting the clutch line, but since the delay valve is removed do I need to do the bleeder block as well? Would it help anymore with clutch feel, or just make bleeding easier?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Posted in the Mk7 FB group today but I'll post here. I ordered the Southbend Stage 3 Daily and iAbed RMS, and I currently have the clutch pedal spring and delay valve removed. Should I ordered the ECS Bleeder Block as well as the ECS Stainless Steel clutch line? I'm definitely getting the clutch line, but since the delay valve is removed do I need to do the bleeder block as well? Would it help anymore with clutch feel, or just make bleeding easier?
If you installed the speed bleeder, it won't even be any different.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
If you installed the speed bleeder, it won't even be any different.
So the speed bleeder would only give the benefit of easier bleeding and not really allow much more fluid to pass through? Not trying to spend more than I need to if it's not going to provide anything else

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
So the speed bleeder would only give the benefit of easier bleeding and not really allow much more fluid to pass through? Not trying to spend more than I need to if it's not going to provide anything else
Is there a restriction at the OE bleeder block? Just from memory, when I removed the cdv, it seemed like the block was a wider diameter than the cable that feeds into it, so it isn't really capable of being a restriction, is it? The primary benefit of the ECS block seems to be the speed bleeder, which is a $3 part. I haven't removed the swirl valve yet, but will likely do so when I do the clutch, but I don't really have any plans to replace the OE bleeder block.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Is there a restriction at the OE bleeder block? Just from memory, when I removed the cdv, it seemed like the block was a wider diameter than the cable that feeds into it, so it isn't really capable of being a restriction, is it? The primary benefit of the ECS block seems to be the speed bleeder, which is a $3 part. I haven't removed the swirl valve yet, but will likely do so when I do the clutch, but I don't really have any plans to replace the OE bleeder block.
no, the center of the stock block style bottle necks at the center. Would it affect flow to a measurable level via driver feedback... I don't know.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
no, the center of the stock block style bottle necks at the center. Would it affect flow to a measurable level via driver feedback... I don't know.
Well you're the last person to talk reasonable upgrades with! But yeah, I forgot that it does narrow in the middle. Guess the ECS (isn't there another option?) would be relatively cheap insurance that there are no restrictions.