scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Someone else here fitted a Schroth Rally Eye (spelling?) 4 point harness without issue, so I think the eyelet size varies per harness. The one I bought was supposedly VW specific but I don’t know what actually determines that.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
for the OP, did you choose the Pro version because you are using a HANS? If not, why did you choose the Pro over the regular Quick Fit?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
for the OP, did you choose the Pro version because you are using a HANS? If not, why did you choose the Pro over the regular Quick Fit?
I do not have a HANS device at the moment but plan on getting one soon. Got the pro honestly just cause it seemed nicer than the standard.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. I plan on getting a Simpson Hybrid Sport rather than a traditional HANS so I can still use it doing ride alongs. Either would fork me but the Pro would still be nicer.

Also, I just realized I asked you about the HANS in your build thread, sorry for the repeat.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
There's a limit on belt strap adjustment at least on the Takata, so by using the child safety, you get more strap to use, and they are very symmetrical.

Also, don't need to install the rear eyelets since you are using the child safety hooks.

Don't need to enlarge anything. The B pillar does poke out a little on the bottom since the eyelet is there, but nothing noticeable.

Latch points have low weight limits. For example the various car seats dictate to use a seat belt when the combined weight of seat and child is over xx. Where xx is 65 lbs in some cases and 85 lbs in others. It depends on car seat and car.

I think VW has good child support, but I suggest double checking the max weight rating. I believe it is 65lbs for the golf.

You want to ensure it will keep you safe in case of an accident with lots of Gs and presumably more than 65 lbs pulling at it.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Latch points have low weight limits. For example the various car seats dictate to use a seat belt when the combined weight of seat and child is over xx. Where xx is 65 lbs in some cases and 85 lbs in others. It depends on car seat and car.

I think VW has good child support, but I suggest double checking the max weight rating. I believe it is 65lbs for the golf.

You want to ensure it will keep you safe in case of an accident with lots of Gs and presumably more than 65 lbs pulling at it.
Good point.

I still put the regular seat belt on, over the harness. This way if anything did happen, I would have the factory safety systems in place.

The 65 pound limit is there because some manufacturers don't weld the lower brackets to the frame. Thankfully, VW's and most Euro cars, the lower LATCH system is directly welded to the frame of the car, and should allow for higher weight limits.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Good point.

I still put the regular seat belt on, over the harness. This way if anything did happen, I would have the factory safety systems in place.

The 65 pound limit is there because some manufacturers don't weld the lower brackets to the frame. Thankfully, VW's and most Euro cars, the lower LATCH system is directly welded to the frame of the car, and should allow for higher weight limits.

ISOFIX in europe (what is similar to LATCH in US) has a similar weight limit of 33-35kgs. VW states in the manual the total weight where it talks about child seats -- I believe they all have to by the law. So anyone can check for their car if interested.

There are standard crash tests they have to do to meet the regulations. By and large companies build cars to a spec to reduce costs, so I doubt that modern cars would deviate significantly from each other.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
For another install data point, just installed the Quickfit Pro on a Mk7 '16 GTI Autobahn and it seems to be working great with my HANS III. EDIT: Plenty of adjustability and fits me at 6'3" with a HANS with another 4-5" of rear adjustment to spare, just had to figure out how to adjust the back strap properly. The front bolt wasn't really an issue to remove/install once the trim was pulled up, drilling out the front eyelet with a step bit was easy enough to get to 9/16".

The rear bolt is a pain to get out and especially tough to get back in, no drilling required on that eyelet. What I did to help with reinstall was to also remove the side trim that goes up the door frame to give me more room by the seatbelt bolt. Just pulling on the trim towards the center of the car to disconnect the bottom and middle clips on that side trim piece was enough for me to have enough install clearance (plus removing the holding nut on the bottom). Also for the rear eyelet, agreed that you need to bend that one as close to the hole as possible. On reinstall, I pivoted that piece a bit forward towards the front of the car to clear the side trim piece more naturally (when you install you'll know what I'm talking about) so the eyelet and the stock belt aluminum piece aren't laying flush on each other.

One note on torque specs. Based on the Mk7 GTI maintenance manual, the rear bolt is 40NM/30 ft lb but the front bolt technically should only be 20NM/15 ft lb. I did 20 ft lb on the front just because that's the lowest my 3/8" torque wrench goes but I didn't go further than that. I'd be a bit careful of 30 ft lb on the front just to make sure it doesn't get stripped based on the maintenance manual diagrams.

Overall, this already feels like a great step-up from the stock seatbelt tension for tracking and always nice to use a HANS when on the track. Will need to figure out if I should do the passenger side 4-point as well as I've heard that certain run groups require both the driver and passenger to have the same seat belt arrangement.

Last edited:

2019mk75gti

Car(s)
2019 gti
For another install data point, just installed the Quickfit Pro on a Mk7 '16 GTI Autobahn and it seems to be working great with my HANS III. EDIT: Plenty of adjustability and fits me at 6'3" with a HANS with another 4-5" of rear adjustment to spare, just had to figure out how to adjust the back strap properly. The front bolt wasn't really an issue to remove/install once the trim was pulled up, drilling out the front eyelet with a step bit was easy enough to get to 9/16".

The rear bolt is a pain to get out and especially tough to get back in, no drilling required on that eyelet. What I did to help with reinstall was to also remove the side trim that goes up the door frame to give me more room by the seatbelt bolt. Just pulling on the trim towards the center of the car to disconnect the bottom and middle clips on that side trim piece was enough for me to have enough install clearance (plus removing the holding nut on the bottom). Also for the rear eyelet, agreed that you need to bend that one as close to the hole as possible. On reinstall, I pivoted that piece a bit forward towards the front of the car to clear the side trim piece more naturally (when you install you'll know what I'm talking about) so the eyelet and the stock belt aluminum piece aren't laying flush on each other.

One note on torque specs. Based on the Mk7 GTI maintenance manual, the rear bolt is 40NM/30 ft lb but the front bolt technically should only be 20NM/15 ft lb. I did 20 ft lb on the front just because that's the lowest my 3/8" torque wrench goes but I didn't go further than that. I'd be a bit careful of 30 ft lb on the front just to make sure it doesn't get stripped based on the maintenance manual diagrams.

Overall, this already feels like a great step-up from the stock seatbelt tension for tracking and always nice to use a HANS when on the track. Will need to figure out if I should do the passenger side 4-point as well as I've heard that certain run groups require both the driver and passenger to have the same seat belt arrangement.
Hey there im considering installing this on my ‘19 gti and was hoping u could provide some pictures of the bolts in the rear and front and what trim needs to be removed.
Especially for the rear

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Hey there im considering installing this on my ‘19 gti and was hoping u could provide some pictures of the bolts in the rear and front and what trim needs to be removed.
Especially for the rear

Have you taken off the rear bench yet? You'll see the attachment point clearly when you pull it out, pictures are documented well in the OP's pictures as that is what I've followed. It helps to have a copy of the GTI maintenance manual as well for any other specifics or additional diagrams of the interior trim pieces.

In quick steps for the rear, you first pull up and remove the rear bench seat. At that point you should see where the rear belt hooks into the body of the car and that's what you have to take off to match the rear attachment angle. To make it easier, I removed the main trim screw holding in the horizontal door frame trim and then small nut holding in the vertical trim piece by the rear belt to give me some more room to put my socket wrench by pulling up on both.

I probably can't get any pics in the short-term but I'm installing the passenger side next week and can take some more. The OP pics are good and once you pull up the bench seat (very easy) then you'll see the parts the OP was talking about.

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
Before we begin please heed the following warning:

This installation requires modifying the mounting bracket that connects to the driver seat’s lap belt anchoring point. A small amount of material must be removed in order for the anchoring bolt to fit. This is not approved by Schroth. Modify at your own risk.

The first thing you need to do is slightly enlarge the hole through which the driver seat lap belt anchoring bolt will pass through. The bolt is 14mm. I accomplished this using a small Makita drill, a 9/16” drill bit, a C clamp and a table. Nothing too fancy. Clamp the harness down, drill through, and use a dremel or file to clean up the edges/inside.

Before:
View attachment 209939

Drill:
View attachment 209941

After:
View attachment 209940

NOTE: you only need to modify the harness bracket for the driver’s lap belt connection, the hole for the rear connection is large enough. I did both because I did not check the rear before seeing the front bolt was too large, however the rear bolt is slightly smaller and should fit through without issue.

Once that is done you are ready to install. Lift up the rear bench seats by pulling straight up from the center of each driver and passenger side seat. I used a tool case to hold the bench up, however alternatively you can remove the rear seats entirely. In retrospect it is probably easier to remove the entire seat.

View attachment 209945

First, pop out the small plastic screw holding the plastic trim piece in place. It pops up with a flathead screwdriver. Careful as it may go flying. Next, pull up on the black plastic trim alongside the rear and front door sill. It should pop out fairly easily. It is all one continuous piece the extends from front to rear. Lift this up and out of the way, however be careful not to overextend the white wiring strip connected to the harness that runs along the door sill. I lifted the trim piece up and rested it on the drivers headrest. (In pic below screw and trim piece is already removed, just showing location).

View attachment 209942View attachment 209943View attachment 209944

Next, start by removing the bolt that anchors the drivers lap belt to the car. It is an M10 triple square.
View attachment 209949

Part 2 next..
You need to make one more modification to make this "safe." Right now by drilling out the bracket and installing on the B pillar bolt you are shortening the bolt length. It now will sit within the PLASTIC OEM bracket! That means when you torque it down you are literally torqueing a few millimeters of plastic rim! The OEM bolt normally is flush with this plastic trim that holds the seat belt and it makes contact with the car so when torqueing it's metal bolt on metal car. Now you created a indented bolt by adding the bracket on the outside. And what's left is a plastic edge. Very bad.

I purchased a steel pipe that fit over the bolt threads and was the same size as the outside diameter of the smooth part of the bolt. I cut it to the same width that is removed from the addition of the bracket. In other words, I made a shim. Without doing this you do not have a secure bolt. I would take apart your work and look at what I'm saying. It's not safe just securing it like you did. I suppose it's possible you collapsed the plastic and in that case it would be "secure" but not allow the pivoting motion of the seat belt. Reengineer the part to allow movement is important, you MUST shim it. It's a pain in the butt and a very bad design. Bottom line this belt does not fit our cars and it takes a shim and enlarging the hole to make it work. They should not sell these as "fit's" our cars since it requires major modifications to get it to work.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
. They should not sell these as "fit's" our cars since it requires major modifications to get it to work.
Schroth doesn't claim it fits mk7/7.5, the last golf they're approved for is the mk5.

Screenshot_20220701-220610.png
as for shimming the shoulder bolt, using a shim that isn't a precision flat and parallel shim can cause more bending load on the bolt than you'd believe. This can also lead to unsafe loading conditions. Unless you have a lathe, highly recommend getting a real shim. McMaster-Carr Page:
https://www.mcmaster.com/Shoulder-Bolt-Shims

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
Schroth doesn't claim it fits mk7/7.5, the last golf they're approved for is the mk5.

View attachment 254181as for shimming the shoulder bolt, using a shim that isn't a precision flat and parallel shim can cause more bending load on the bolt than you'd believe. This can also lead to unsafe loading conditions. Unless you have a lathe, highly recommend getting a real shim. McMaster-Carr Page:
https://www.mcmaster.com/Shoulder-Bolt-Shims
Well the sellers say it fits. You are correct about the actual spec sheet approval. It's a shady practice that you can order it as fitting from web sites and it requires this much modification.

The shim site you provided is AMAZING! Thank You! I will order the proper shim! Much appreciated.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Well the sellers say it fits. You are correct about the actual spec sheet approval. It's a shady practice that you can order it as fitting from web sites and it requires this much modification.

The shim site you provided is AMAZING! Thank You! I will order the proper shim! Much appreciated.
McMaster is amazing. It'll ship same day too, even if you order at 5pm it'll be on a truck by 6. It's not the cheapest site by far but we use and abuse the crap out of it at work. End mills, screws, raw material... Hell, they even have swedish fish!