GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to fix/improve low soft Brake pedal with Residual Pressure Valves and seal lube

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Just recently did this mod when I installed my Macan BBK and it feels absolutely incredible! I love the linear feel of engagement and the response is almost instant as soon as I touch the brake pedal.
There is no spongy feel or dead spot with this mod. I had my doubts about this mod after my first bleed of the system, but I soon realized that I had done the bleeding procedure completely backwards lol.

Once I did the correct bleed procedure, the brakes feel awesome! Braking is much improved vs the stock brakes, especially when I'm doing a 60-130 run.

A couple of things to note for those thinking about doing this mod:
1. Use the thread sealant liberally on the NPT fittings. I didn't use enough the first time and there was a leak at one of the NPT fittings.
2. For any Audi folks, you will have to trim the fender liner a bit to install the RPV valves on the hardline.

20210612_132832.jpg
20210717_121335.jpg
20210717_175826.jpg

Last edited:

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Did you also do the VCDS modifications or purely hardware?
Yes, but I only disabled the hydraulic brake assist. I didn't do any of the other VCDS/OBD11 mods.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
OP do you have a link to the Q5 aftermarket pieces you were talking about? I was able to find everything besides that part.

LBmk7r

If you do lube the pistons in the caliper as recommended, will this require re-lubing down the line to maintain that performance?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you do lube the pistons in the caliper as recommended, will this require re-lubing down the line to maintain that performance?

Mine are fine. The lube makes a difference, but the real issue people are noticing is poor bleeding.

Do an initial bleed LF, RF, LR, RR, go do some ABS stops, then to another good 30 psi bleed a few days later.

It's all in the bleeding.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Just to confirm the red grease is for the inside of the seals, while the lithium grease is to be used on the slides?

Negreac

Car(s)
2017 Audi S3
Maybe in Europe you can find a 2 PSI RPV that has the flare fitting built in, that would be a really clean install. There are a lot of different ways to get this done and I encourage anyone to install them in whatever way works best for them. Good luck!

Would this RPV eliminate 2 of the 3 adapters?

https://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/brake-residual-pressure-valve-for-disc-brakes-2psi-c-70-p-364

Potentially all 3 if you had the custom brake line made to be a M10 male instead of female at the hard line side.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Also found these 2:

EMPI version of the one above available on Amazon (‎17-2928-0). There is also a version that includes a 7.5' male to male brake line for plug and play (17-2935-0):

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-Residual-Pressure-Valve-Buggy/dp/B00FB7XN1K/

One that requires no adapters or different brake lines but is 4psi, not 2psi:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6609.htm
The top link looks like female to female on both sides. You still need a male to femal conversion no?

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread........

Awesome explanation and write up!

Has anyone tried this with a Mk8 yet? I've been looking at brake upgrades just in case I decide to spend more time on the track, and the coding for the ABS was the most intimidating part. Turning wrenches is something I understand.......OBD 11, not so much.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread........

Awesome explanation and write up!

Has anyone tried this with a Mk8 yet? I've been looking at brake upgrades just in case I decide to spend more time on the track, and the coding for the ABS was the most intimidating part. Turning wrenches is something I understand.......OBD 11, not so much.
I've gone back to stock abs settings, with the exception of braking stabilization. Also, mk8 has a different abs module, so there's little chance anything we've done with the mk7 abs system is relevant.

Not worth it. The Macan calipers should work fine on the mk8 though.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I've gone back to stock abs settings, with the exception of braking stabilization. Also, mk8 has a different abs module, so there's little chance anything we've done with the mk7 abs system is relevant.

Not worth it. The Macan calipers should work fine on the mk8 though.
Any specific reason why you went back?
I changed the settings last night before the drive home from work and really liked the more direct/linear feel. I am of course still on stock PP.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Any specific reason why you went back?
I changed the settings last night before the drive home from work and really liked the more direct/linear feel. I am of course still on stock PP.
I was overheating the fronts on track with the changes.