GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I think to reduce the rev hang I need to listen to one of the member here who suggested practicing my roll off on the gas before shifting

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think to reduce the rev hang I need to listen to one of the member here who suggested practicing my roll off on the gas before shifting

I honestly think that you are over thinking it. Just drive and in a short time you'll master it. Just avoid any extra aggressive driving until you get smoother.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Chalk up another reason to get a DSG. 😂
It's actually a valid reason. I was a manual guy until rev hang and dual clutch autos. The normal auto in my bro's BRZ is not bad either. They've come a long way. CVTs are the new automatics, LOL.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's actually a valid reason. I was a manual guy until rev hang and dual clutch autos. The normal auto in my bro's BRZ is not bad either. They've come a long way. CVTs are the new automatics, LOL.

Thankfully VW isn't putting a CVT in the GTI. They make sense for regular cars especially since they've come a long way with how they operate. Like emulating gear changes.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I honestly think that you are over thinking it. Just drive and in a short time you'll master it. Just avoid any extra aggressive driving until you get smoother.
I think you are right but there are wrong ways to drive a manual and still get smooth; you'll just wear out the clutch sooner. I want to practice the correct way from the get go. I know people who drive very differently than what people suggest here and they have been driving manual for decades.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think you are right but there are wrong ways to drive a manual and still get smooth; you'll just wear out the clutch sooner. I want to practice the correct way from the get go. I know people who drive very differently than what people suggest here and they have been driving manual for decades.

All I can say is that wouldn't be a correct way to drive a manual.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I agree. If I didn't come to this forum I would be driving their wrong "smooth but clutch wear" way as well so thanks everyone.
To clarify what I was taught before coming here, people tell me to pause at the bite point and smooth it out so you don't have to perfectly time the rev. Of course this wears out the clutch sooner as I've learn. But I've been driving like this and is pretty smooth. However I'm practicing the better way now!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Yes not competitively. Have you driven a tuned DSG on a track? If it's not a tuned DSG I'll take the manual on a track.
I have driven all sorts of vehicles on a track, tuned dsg vws as well. The error rate goes down for novice drivers that haven't quite mastered heel toe downshifting but I'm still scratching my head to find how the advantage is negated.

Edit: Porsche pdk trans is about the only auto trans out there that I would give an advantage on. But you'd be stoned to think vw dsg even comes close to pdk in terms of performance, tuned or not.

Edit2: If you're stoned that's cool with me, just pass that blunt this way homie.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
one of the best ways to practice your clutch skills and teach the clutch points into muscle memory is to just go to a large empty parking lot, stop the car, and then see how far in the gears you can get without ever touching the gas. Just slip the clutch. After some practice you'll get up to 6th gear easily and the 1st gear slip will take you a very brief amount of time. To save your clutch, don't use the gas until the car is moving. That's the way most of my family in Europe drives manuals and that's how i was taught when i was 7.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
one of the best ways to practice your clutch skills and teach the clutch points into muscle memory is to just go to a large empty parking lot, stop the car, and then see how far in the gears you can get without ever touching the gas. Just slip the clutch. After some practice you'll get up to 6th gear easily and the 1st gear slip will take you a very brief amount of time. To save your clutch, don't use the gas until the car is moving. That's the way most of my family in Europe drives manuals and that's how i was taught when i was 7.
Is this better with diesel engine? I know my car will start rolling without gas but the people in the back will honk at me. Already got smoked by a granny the other day.

Also for some background, I traded my Q60 for this GTI. Q60 was fast because I just step on the gas and AWD/400hp is fun. I miss that speed

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I have driven all sorts of vehicles on a track, tuned dsg vws as well. The error rate goes down for novice drivers that haven't quite mastered heel toe downshifting but I'm still scratching my head to find how the advantage is negated.

Edit: Porsche pdk trans is about the only auto trans out there that I would give an advantage on. But you'd be stoned to think vw dsg even comes close to pdk in terms of performance, tuned or not.

Edit2: If you're stoned that's cool with me, just pass that blunt this way homie.
I drive a tuned DSG on track. I'd take a manual over it any day of the week...but the dsg is faster. I can snap down into 2nd gear on tight corners and come out with full torque in places where a manual just couldn't reach because you'd upset the weight transfer. It also keeps boost between shifts better so straights see higher speeds. Believe it or not, the tuned GTI DSG shifts faster than the dual clutch in an M4 and whatever auto is in the C7 vette. I've compared that on track with a few friends.

Would I trade my DSG for a manual? Yes....