GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Clutch in and shift the gear at the same time. There shouldn't really be a pause as you let the clutch pedal out.

You want to do it as 1 fluid motion as much as you can. As soon as you push the clutch in you shift at the same time. By the time you've pushed your clutch pedal down it should already be in the next gear and the next thing to focus on is making sure you keep it smooth as you let the clutch out and give it a little gas.

Pushing the clutch to the floor also isn't necessary. Seems like a lot of people still do this, but if you can learn the grab point the clutch only has to be pushed past that point. Chances are you'll grind your gears once in a while trying this. It happens to me very rarely still when I accidentally do a lazy/half assed shift.

You want to make sure the rpms aren't dropping below where they should be while shifting, you're shifting too slow if that happens. If you're driving at 5k rpms and need to shift, and at the speed you're at the next gear will put you at about 2k rpms then you don't want to see those rpms fall below 2k. Don't worry about the actual rpms or trying to memorize what rpms you're at in different gears, just know you need to be catching the rpms as they fall.

If you put a lot of focus into being smooth without being quick and deliberate you might end up making things a bit more difficult for yourself.

I wouldn't advise a beginner to shift into gear without using the clutch. Hell that's not even something I've tried and I've been driving manual for about 12 years now. Shifting out of gear though is a lot simpler, and something I maybe just barely take advantage of with every shift.

Really you just need a ton of time getting used to it. The more you drive it the more you'll experiment with how you're clutching in and out and giving it gas. You'll start to realize different things the more you practice and you'll start to pick up your own techniques.

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
While the DSG is a great transmission there are circumstances when a manual may be a better choice for a professional driver.

Not true. I cant think of a single situation where the clutch would help a fwd car on good grip tracks. Anyways, dont want to hijack this thread.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone with a GTI shift without using the clutch like he is proposing here? Seems like you need to have precision like a robot to do this.
It wasn't a recommendation, LOL. I'm far from expert. I never got good at heal and toe for instance.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Before the invention of the synchronized gear box this is how everyone had to drive. It's an advanced technique and if you can drive a synchronized transmission as though it were unsynchronized that you will be a fast and smooth driver.
That was double clutching but ya.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Clutch in and shift the gear at the same time. There shouldn't really be a pause as you let the clutch pedal out.

You want to do it as 1 fluid motion as much as you can. As soon as you push the clutch in you shift at the same time. By the time you've pushed your clutch pedal down it should already be in the next gear and the next thing to focus on is making sure you keep it smooth as you let the clutch out and give it a little gas.

Pushing the clutch to the floor also isn't necessary. Seems like a lot of people still do this, but if you can learn the grab point the clutch only has to be pushed past that point. Chances are you'll grind your gears once in a while trying this. It happens to me very rarely still when I accidentally do a lazy/half assed shift.

You want to make sure the rpms aren't dropping below where they should be while shifting, you're shifting too slow if that happens. If you're driving at 5k rpms and need to shift, and at the speed you're at the next gear will put you at about 2k rpms then you don't want to see those rpms fall below 2k. Don't worry about the actual rpms or trying to memorize what rpms you're at in different gears, just know you need to be catching the rpms as they fall.

If you put a lot of focus into being smooth without being quick and deliberate you might end up making things a bit more difficult for yourself.

I wouldn't advise a beginner to shift into gear without using the clutch. Hell that's not even something I've tried and I've been driving manual for about 12 years now. Shifting out of gear though is a lot simpler, and something I maybe just barely take advantage of with every shift.

Really you just need a ton of time getting used to it. The more you drive it the more you'll experiment with how you're clutching in and out and giving it gas. You'll start to realize different things the more you practice and you'll start to pick up your own techniques.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Can you give detail on how you let the clutch out? You said "no pause" but then you say "keep it smooth as you let the clutch out". When letting the clutch out do you start slow then release fast? Fast to bite, then release slow? Sorry for being so technical. I can be smooth but you can be smooth by many ways. I want to be the most optimal and eventually do what you experts do.

I think many people say driving manual is easy but when I ask them what rev matching is they have no clue. Many don't know what heel toe is and don't care how they drive manual to optimize wear.

Thanks

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Can you give detail on how you let the clutch out? You said "no pause" but then you say "keep it smooth as you let the clutch out". When letting the clutch out do you start slow then release fast? Fast to bite, then release slow? Sorry for being so technical. I can be smooth but you can be smooth by many ways. I want to be the most optimal and eventually do what you experts do.

I think many people say driving manual is easy but when I ask them what rev matching is they have no clue. Many don't know what heel toe is and don't care how they drive manual to optimize wear.

Thanks

If I'm starting to accelerate from a stop and I'm just in first then I'll probably be going slower on releasing the clutch, and it might require a pause. Typically once I'm moving I want the clutch to pretty much be in or out though. I think that's kind of what the other person was saying when they were referring to it as a switch. You don't really want the clutch to be half engaged when your rpms are that high. At least once you feel the grab point you need to let the clutch out quickly and the trick to being smooth is to have the rpms and throttle where it needs to be when the clutch grabs. It's fine when you're starting from a stop to release the clutch slowly, but once you're driving try to get off the clutch as quick as you smoothly can. That's one of those things you'll have to figure out with some practice. The clutches on these cars don't always make it easy either so don't beat yourself up if it's not smooth 100%, I can't make it drive smooth 100% of the time.

It's kind of counter intuitive at times, driving a manual, especially when it's something you spent a lot of money on and care about. You might be worried about your shifts so you're trying to baby it and take it easy while making sure it stays smooth. Like I kind of mentioned in my previous post though, I feel like one of the biggest things to help with shifting is just having the confidence to do it fairly quickly and in almost 1 movement. If you spend a lot of time thinking about it and spend a lot of time trying to set up your clutch pedal in between shifts you're taking too much time to shift.

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Not true. I cant think of a single situation where the clutch would help a fwd car on good grip tracks. Anyways, dont want to hijack this thread.
Really? Weight transfer is the first that comes to mind. Sometimes the brakes are too much. Also kinda hard to go two feet in if there's ever an off in a dsg.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
If I'm starting to accelerate from a stop and I'm just in first then I'll probably be going slower on releasing the clutch, and it might require a pause. Typically once I'm moving I want the clutch to pretty much be in or out though. I think that's kind of what the other person was saying when they were referring to it as a switch. You don't really want the clutch to be half engaged when your rpms are that high. At least once you feel the grab point you need to let the clutch out quickly and the trick to being smooth is to have the rpms and throttle where it needs to be when the clutch grabs. It's fine when you're starting from a stop to release the clutch slowly, but once you're driving try to get off the clutch as quick as you smoothly can. That's one of those things you'll have to figure out with some practice. The clutches on these cars don't always make it easy either so don't beat yourself up if it's not smooth 100%, I can't make it drive smooth 100% of the time.

It's kind of counter intuitive at times, driving a manual, especially when it's something you spent a lot of money on and care about. You might be worried about your shifts so you're trying to baby it and take it easy while making sure it stays smooth. Like I kind of mentioned in my previous post though, I feel like one of the biggest things to help with shifting is just having the confidence to do it fairly quickly and in almost 1 movement. If you spend a lot of time thinking about it and spend a lot of time trying to set up your clutch pedal in between shifts you're taking too much time to shift.
Great explanation. Got it. Just got back from the road. I think the reason I pause the clutch a bit is because the revs going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 hangs so damn much. Now I clutch in, shift, wait a second and see the revs fall, usually to 2k rpm and let the clutch out faster than I use to and pretty linearly and it's pretty smooth! Thanks guys. Not liking the waiting a second part but can't change the rev hang.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Great explanation. Got it. Just got back from the road. I think the reason I pause the clutch a bit is because the revs going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 hangs so damn much. Now I clutch in, shift, wait a second and see the revs fall, usually to 2k rpm and let the clutch out faster than I use to and pretty linearly and it's pretty smooth! Thanks guys. Not liking the waiting a second part but can't change the rev hang.
The higher rpm you shift at the faster you can go. There's no reason to wait a whole second to shift or wait for rpms to drop before doing so

Sheesh no wonder these automatic guys think manuals are slow 😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've always been taught to clutch in before shifting. Here is what I do with the clutch: clutch in, shift gear, quickly release clutch to bite point, pause for a brief moment, let go all the way. Does this sound right for normal driving? Thanks

That sounds right except for the pausing part.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A DSG will always win in a drag race but on a road course, when you have to downshift and upshift in and out of corners you lose that advantage. Sure you could manually shift your DSG on a road course but a manual will be lighter in weight. While the DSG is a great transmission there are circumstances when a manual may be a better choice for a professional driver.

I'm not going to argue road course racing but a tuned DSG would negate most of the advantage of a manual on a road course.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
The higher rpm you shift at the faster you can go. There's no reason to wait a whole second to shift or wait for RPMs to drop before doing so

Of course the higher rpm you shift at, the faster you go. He is waiting on the rev hang so he doesn't make it jerky or slip his clutch.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
The higher rpm you shift at the faster you can go. There's no reason to wait a whole second to shift or wait for rpms to drop before doing so

My car has crazy rev hang, especially when the turbo kicks in.