GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to deal with throttle lag / DSG lag on MK7.5 GTI?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I have always wanted to try one - the graph shows how it works clearly but still would like to experience it.
It works better than I thought it would. Even at the lowest setting above stock, it is very noticeable.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I test drove a '20 MK7.5 GTI SE, and it was a super blast! Every hit of the gas pedal, I'd spin the front tires a little and spurt ahead. It was fresh off the dealership, so I know it wasn't chipped.

BUT THEN, I test drove a '21 MK7.5 autobahn. Pressing the accelerator did... nothing. I've seen complaints of 1-2 second lags, but this seemed to take 4-5 seconds! (Although that might just be my perception.)

I realize a DSG shift can take longer than an automatic shift, so I made sure traction control was off and put myself in paddle shift mode so the DSG wouldn't have to decide to downshift, but it STILL it took over 2 seconds to get any response from the throttle! Given that high torque starts at just 1,500 RPM, I'd've thought the turbo would be spooled up already....

I looked on other forums (there's a lot of complaints about this), but there wasn't a silver bullet: Some people hacked a setting that switched the throttle mode from "timed mode" to "distance mode" (which I guess hurts gas mileage?), but it didn't fix the problem for everyone. [ I guess it waits 2 seconds to see if you're serious about pushing the throttle? I'd call that Prius mode. ] Some people did a DSG tune.

I'm curious as to why I saw this so badly on one GTI but not another? Some learning algorithm? Different software for '21?

Has anyone tried a DSG tune on a GTI? Would it help at all with the lag issue? And if you do a DSG tune on a 2019+ GTI, would you lose the fancy engine shut down / jump to neutral that's so good for gas mileage?

Thanks for any feedback / stories about throttle lag on the MK7.5 GTI and anyone who's fixed it. :)

This, and the DCC Nanny are my two biggest fears about the later MK7 models...
As others have posted- I pull the lever back to select "S" sport when I anticipate running in traffic and this helps a lot on my 2019 S DSG. Btw, this transmission seems "sleepy" compared to the 6 speed DSG in the 2015 S DSG I used own. Give it a try! You must anticipate the need.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You should. I have mine set to the highest setting meaning the most throttle response. The reaction of anyone who drives it, with me in the car, is wow that throttle is sensitive or they just instantly back off the throttle because it startled them. The tune plays a small role also.
when I had it on my stock ECU/TCU tune 2015 GTI, I had one with 9 total settings (low/low (which is still better than stock), medium/low, high/low, low/medium, med/med, high/med, low/high, med/high, high/high), I remember liking either low-medium or high-medium. all 3 of the high settings were too touchy around philly and they actually caused my transmission to audibly/viscerally clack and pop into neutral to protect itself if i got off throttle right as it shifted to 3rd from 2nd after a standing start.

the clacks would happen once a month or so on the medium settings which i preferred, but i hated the clacks so i got rid of hte pedal tuner. when my Uni ECU/TCU drove worse than stock ECU/TCU with pedaltuner I was done iwth the car and sold it for my manual alltrack lol

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
As others have posted- I pull the lever back to select "S" sport when I anticipate running in traffic and this helps a lot on my 2019 S DSG. Btw, this transmission seems "sleepy" compared to the 6 speed DSG in the 2015 S DSG I used own. Give it a try! You must anticipate the need.

Yes, the DQ381 is generally less responsive than the DQ250. But the OEM TCU tuning for "S" is worlds better. If I owned a DQ381 GTI, I would literally *never* drive it in 'D' mode. I got identical gas mileage around town in S and D, only had way more enjoyable of a driving experience in S.

Also, if you've never owned a VW DSG before, I strongly suggest the following reading for your pleasure:
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/ho...-and-win-dsg-driving-tips-and-tricks.5989734/

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I had a 2019 SE DSG loaner for a month last year. Just drive is S mode, always. You don’t lose any gas mileage at all, just gain throttle response and on-tap power.
Same. As soon as engine oil is 180f I figure everything’s warm enough. I then put the tranny in s.

though I wonder if all the rev matched downshifts in s cause more wear and tear

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Same. As soon as engine oil is 180f I figure everything’s warm enough. I then put the tranny in s.

though I wonder if all the rev matched downshifts in s cause more wear and tear

hinestly I think leaving it in D is actually worse for heating the engine up. Since it shifts so early, it just throws more and more boost at lower RPMs to get you going through the gears. That’s exactly what you want to avoid - high boost on cold start.

leaving my office (for the first time in 2 months) tonight I kept my car in 4tb gear until 140 degrees, since there’s basically one really long hill between my office and the highway (I’m talking 4-5% grade for like 2 miles), and I don’t wanna throw a ton of boost at it in 5th, and definitely not 6th. 4th gear 2800RPMs in cruise control around 54mph has enough power to get moving without relying toooo heavily on the turbo. Without boost, you literally can’t accelerate in the overdrive gears

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
hinestly I think leaving it in D is actually worse for heating the engine up. Since it shifts so early, it just throws more and more boost at lower RPMs to get you going through the gears. That’s exactly what you want to avoid - high boost on cold start.

leaving my office (for the first time in 2 months) tonight I kept my car in 4tb gear until 140 degrees, since there’s basically one really long hill between my office and the highway (I’m talking 4-5% grade for like 2 miles), and I don’t wanna throw a ton of boost at it in 5th, and definitely not 6th. 4th gear 2800RPMs in cruise control around 54mph has enough power to get moving without relying toooo heavily on the turbo. Without boost, you literally can’t accelerate in the overdrive gears
That’s an interesting take! Thanks! Totally makes sense tbh

do you think the rev matched down shifts in s are aggressive enough to cause advanced wear and tear on the tranny?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
when I had it on my stock ECU/TCU tune 2015 GTI, I had one with 9 total settings (low/low (which is still better than stock), medium/low, high/low, low/medium, med/med, high/med, low/high, med/high, high/high), I remember liking either low-medium or high-medium. all 3 of the high settings were too touchy around philly and they actually caused my transmission to audibly/viscerally clack and pop into neutral to protect itself if i got off throttle right as it shifted to 3rd from 2nd after a standing start.

the clacks would happen once a month or so on the medium settings which i preferred, but i hated the clacks so i got rid of hte pedal tuner. when my Uni ECU/TCU drove worse than stock ECU/TCU with pedaltuner I was done iwth the car and sold it for my manual alltrack lol
Mine doesn't do that.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
That’s an interesting take! Thanks! Totally makes sense tbh

do you think the rev matched down shifts in s are aggressive enough to cause advanced wear and tear on the tranny?
In racing school I was taught Rev matching downshifts keep the drivetrain in harmony with respect to chassis dynamics. Don’t know if that harmony translates to added mechanical wear and tear!