GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to cover the big hole in the rear bumper of a Mk7 Golf Estate/Variant/S.W.

greenbeam

Hi all,
I've just had the Westfalia towbar fitted to a Mk7 90TSI hatch. At the moment it still has the standard valance fitted; with a big hole in it cut by the installer.

Does anyone have the VW part number for the GTD rear valance? I imagine the conversation at the parts counter runs much more smoothly if I have the part number....

Last question (for now), does the whole bumper need to be removed to swap out the valance?
Cheers,
Paul.

HXP

Ready to race!
My Mk7 came witha prefitted ' hole ' for the towbar - that then had a clip in part fitted.

Not sure if my previous post in this thread helps helps re the slot rear cover part - this is a standard VW part and it would seem easier if possible to make the tow bar hole fit the part ( unless I have mis understood ).

Hugh

greenbeam

No, here in Australia the Golf has a smooth rear valance/diffuser that follows the line of the rear bumper, no step in it for a concealed hole. So the towbar fitter cut a hole in the smooth valance, which is quite visible from a few metres back from the car.

I've now discovered we don't get the GTD here either, so the stepped valance with the concealed hole isn't fitted to any Aussie Golf that I can tell.

I could still use the GTD part number though. I'll be in England in October with my job and hope to pick up one then.
Cheers,
Paul.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi all,
I've just had the Westfalia towbar fitted to a Mk7 90TSI hatch. At the moment it still has the standard valance fitted; with a big hole in it cut by the installer.

Does anyone have the VW part number for the GTD rear valance? I imagine the conversation at the parts counter runs much more smoothly if I have the part number....

Last question (for now), does the whole bumper need to be removed to swap out the valance?
Cheers,
Paul.

I presume you are talking about the hatch? In this thread we are talking about the estate!

The estate only comes with the stepped back rear valance with a pre-cut hole for the VW factory fit tow bar (which is not available to all countries).

The hatch comes with either a flush or stepped rear valance & a separate pre-cut version is available from the dealers.

Look here:-

item number 10

10 5G6807568 rear diffuser 1 10 5G6807568A rear diffuser; for models with; towing facility 1 10 5G6807568B rear diffuser; exhaust tail pipe; left; (single pipe) 1 10 5G6807568C rear diffuser; for models with; towing facility; exhaust tail pipe; left; (single pipe) 1 10 5G6807568D rear diffuser; exhaust tail pipe; left; (double pipe) 1 10 5G6807568E rear diffuser; for models with; towing facility; exhaust tail pipe; left; (double pipe)

various other people have done this mod & it is in a search on google I think

Metfan08

Ready to race!
VW HQ think there "is no problem" with all estates leaving factory like this as most people order or will fit a tow bar according to them

IT is VW UK who are getting a UK company (RGM) to specially make these covers for VW UK....this is why they do not appear on ETKA/ELSA whatever the parts system says!

Well I advised my saleswoman that I needed the cover ordered and in stock in time for delivery of my new order, but that I wouldn't want to be funding it. She agreed that I shouldn't have to and said she would get VW to pay for it. It was so easy a conversation that I would be gobsmacked if the dealership hadn't dealt with this same issue before.

On Order: Mk7 Golf Estate SE 1.4TSI 125 Manual in Metallic Night Blue. Options: Car-Net App Connect, Discover Nav, 2Zone Climate, Net Partition, Silver Roof Rails, Park Assist with Front&Rear Park Sensors. Build Week 33 Confirmed.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
As an expectant Estate owner, I too am annoyed by this - I'll be speaking to my dealer on Monday with regard to obtaining the correct size cover at the same time as my car. I would add that I don't intend paying for the cover.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Dave. I had some RGM parts on my Mk6 - rear bumper and sill covers, but not on my Mk7 hatch. I'll be interested to see yours as I need all the protection I can get as my car spends quite a lot of time on various rifle ranges which get pretty rough and dirty.

Metfan08

Ready to race!
As an expectant Estate owner, I too am annoyed by this - I'll be speaking to my dealer on Monday with regard to obtaining the correct size cover at the same time as my car. I would add that I don't intend paying for the cover.

This has taken a bit of a strange turn, my saleswoman tried to order the part (I gave her the part number) and she said her parts department couldn't find it available for the estate, only for the hatch. I told her to order it anyway and we will try it. Not seen my car yet, it's in their pound waiting for me to collect on Tuesday, so I don't know if they've addressed the issue on the MY16 and include a cover as standard.

I will report back when I know.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
This has taken a bit of a strange turn, my saleswoman tried to order the part (I gave her the part number) and she said her parts department couldn't find it available for the estate, only for the hatch. I told her to order it anyway and we will try it. Not seen my car yet, it's in their pound waiting for me to collect on Tuesday, so I don't know if they've addressed the issue on the MY16 and include a cover as standard.

Looking forward to hearing from you on that - expecting to collect mine on 12/9.

HXP

Ready to race!

I have 1.4 TSI Golf Estate 2014 ( October ) and the VW part listed by me in this thread fitted perfectly ( hope that helps ) I have included picture & part numbers it's on P1 on the thread 10th post HXP http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6471

Metfan08

Ready to race!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'll be doing the sae, thanks.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Well just had a look and yes there's a hole there but all there is in it is a bit of dust after 12k+ miles, no muck and no water as it's not in line of the wheels so unless you are going off-roading in a foot of mud I wouldn't worry about it... Bit of an over-reaction methinks... Mountains and molehills spring to mind...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well just had a look and yes there's a hole there but all there is in it is a bit of dust after 12k+ miles, no muck and no water as it's not in line of the wheels so unless you are going off-roading in a foot of mud I wouldn't worry about it... Bit of an over-reaction methinks... Mountains and molehills spring to mind...[

You ought to have seen the back of my Estate during last winter!.............the way the aerodynamics causes a suction effect around the rear end, absolutely coated it crud!................Last thing I want is salt/grit etc getting into that area & rusting unseen!