GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to classify Stage 1, or Stage 2 Tunes?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
As the title states, what constitutes a Stage 1 or Stage 2?
I feel like there are so many variations of aftermarket add-ons, that there are no 2 cars alike! LOL

My 2015 (non PP) GTI has (or will have very soon):

- JB4 Map 6 (slightly stronger than Map 2)
- 034 Turbo inlet pipe and 034 Inlet hose
- Ultimate Racing 3" ceramic catted downpipe
- ECS Front Mounted intercooler
- NGK Ruthenium spark plugs

Based on those mods, is my car considered Stage 1 or Stage 2?
And for the experts here, what should my approximate HP and Torque be on my car?

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I'm no expert, but from my extended time on this forum I can tell you the general consensus.

"Stages" are actually subjective, Stage 1 is commonly referred to as just an ECU flash. Stage 2 is an ECU flash that requires a free flowing downpipe. Most tuners have a different answer for Stage 3.

Technically you only have a JB4, and although a Map 6 can be equivalent in power levels to a common Stage 2, it's actually only thought of as a "piggy-back", because the ECU has not been flashed.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I would say stage 2 would be a more aggressive tune specially designed to take advantage of an aftermarket downpipe. At least on a turbocharged car. A NA car would be a different combination of parts and a more aggressive tune to use those parts.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I would say stage 2 would be a more aggressive tune specially designed to take advantage of an aftermarket downpipe. At least on a turbocharged car. A NA car would be a different combination of parts and a more aggressive tune to use those parts.
So in other words, my setup is a Stage 1?
And what would/should my approximate HP and Torque be on my set-up?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
"Stage" is for marketing. A Stage 1 is a mild aftermarket tune when your car is using stock components. Stage 2 is a more aggressive aftermarket tune and "requires" you to have a downpipe and intercooler to maximize engine output. What Stage 3 is I have no idea. I guess you buy all their recommended parts and you are Stage 3.
Since you have a aftermarket DP/IC I'd consider yours Stage 2. Depending on your settings your probably around 300hp; there's a guy local to me with the same basic setup
(perry01) and he dyno'd at 303hp/341tq.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You have the parts to be considered stage 2 you just need a proper tune for it. The consensus in the forum lately has been to get a Cobb Access Port and get tuned by EQT.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You have the parts to be considered stage 2 you just need a proper tune for it. The consensus in the forum lately has been to get a Cobb Access Port and get tuned by EQT.
I'm not really looking for any specific "stage", I was jus t curious because it seemed that the talk about different stages seemed so variable.
My only goal was to get a little bit more HP while maintaining drivability and reliability.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not really looking for any specific "stage", I was jus t curious because it seemed that the talk about different stages seemed so variable.
My only goal was to get a little bit more HP while maintaining drivability and reliability.
If you mean the small gain you would get from a downpipe without getting a tune? That would still be stage 0.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you mean the small gain you would get from a downpipe without getting a tune? That would still be stage 0.
Not necessarily what I'm looking for, looking for more than that.
I'm looking for more power (the most I can get "reliably"), but I need that reliability in the heat while using the car on a track.
So I want a tune to make the car boost harder (I'm getting great results from the JB4), and looking for any other small boost in power (downpipe, turbo inlet), plus an intercooler to maintain consistency and avoid heat soak. But most importantly, it has to remain reliable and consistent in the heat while driven very hard. To do all this, I obviously won't/can't be maximizing the amount I can get from the tune because I need a factor of safety, so I have to be very careful with all my choices/decisions.
All that said, with all the stuff I already have, and the stuff I'm adding by the end of next week, I'm DEFINITELY not Stage 0! The car already feels like a beast (compared to stock). I already have the JB4 and the intercooler, and still need to add the turbo inlet, downpipe, and sparkplugs. I'm at a minimum of Stage 1 (from what the descriptions I'm reading sound like), but wanted to know if there was a standard for calling it Stage 2. It seems very variable, as I'm learning.

Last edited:

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
If you want to be technical, you’re not on any stage because you’re still on a piggyback. You’re set up mirrors a stage 2 set up though. Usually the difference between stage 1 and 2 files are the boost profile to accommodate the downpipe and turning off o2 monitors depending what tune it is. The best you can really do is take the most advantage of the jb per your mods like it sounds like you’re doing. Fwiw I’m also on a jb but only have an inlet. If we had to compare I’d be more like a stage 1 and you’d be like a stage 2.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Interesting.....at least I feel better about being confused regarding the classification of stages of tune.
It is what it is, I don't care as long as the car performs in the way I need it to. I'm just weird and things like that just make me wonder, lol

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting.....at least I feel better about being confused regarding the classification of stages of tune.
It is what it is, I don't care as long as the car performs in the way I need it to. I'm just weird and things like that just make me wonder, lol
Tbh I wouldn’t get too hung up on it. I know it’s the easiest way for vendors to classify what’s what, but I hate it. Reminds me of Need for Speed lmao. As long as a a proper tune file is used for accommodating mods or a piggyback is safely optimized for your mods, you’re fine.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Think of the term "stage" as just another aftermarket part, only instead of an intake or exhaust it's an ECU tune.

You haven't purchased one yet, so you don't have one. Doesn't mean your car isn't modified or fast.