GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to choose the right ECU upgrade

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Once you get the AP, why not use it to its full potential and get most out it by getting a custom tune ?
Because for most folks doing a stock turbo pump gas and bolt ons a well-vetted OTS tune is all that is needed and is less hassle.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
It's a valid point, but the issue is that an OTS tune might run ya $150....vs $500+ to go custom. Sure, the custom would allow you to see full potential and/or tweak some things to your liking.....but for most, the price doesn't justify it. Different tuners have different nuances though, there might be one that falls in the middle ground and will be willing to tweak a couple things from an OTS style tune without charging an arm and leg.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
One thing I like about the big low torque like the EQT stage 1 is in normal driving you just short shift each gear and it pulls like a mother:D

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
YMMV, but for the life of me I can’t replicate the issue that EQT fixed. Nothing happens remotely like what has been described. Maybe 2015’s didn’t have the issue, I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
YMMV, but for the life of me I can’t replicate the issue that EQT fixed. Nothing happens remotely like what has been described. Maybe 2015’s didn’t have the issue, I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️
What tune do you have?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I went Stage 1 APR low torque 93 Octane two weeks ago. Totally worth it for what i was Looking for in the car.. don’t get my wrong, the stock was nice, but stage 1 is sooooo much better. It’s fun and fast as hell whenever you want to go
WOT. It’s crazy fast on the highway too in regards to passing when needing to..

APR is only 3 hours from me, made an appt, showed up, they tuned the car in an hour and i drove away.. ever since the customer service has been great to work with and have had no issues.

Only thing that is really left to do is Bauns Performance FMIC and drive the car- not sure if i want To go any higher at the moment

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I went Stage 1 APR low torque 93 Octane two weeks ago. Totally worth it for what i was Looking for in the car.. don’t get my wrong, the stock was nice, but stage 1 is sooooo much better. It’s fun and fast as hell whenever you want to go
WOT. It’s crazy fast on the highway too in regards to passing when needing to..

APR is only 3 hours from me, made an appt, showed up, they tuned the car in an hour and i drove away.. ever since the customer service has been great to work with and have had no issues.

Only thing that is really left to do is Bauns Performance FMIC and drive the car- not sure if i want To go any higher at the moment
Glad you're happy. But you realize with a Cobb Access Port you could have done the same thing with another tuner in 15 minutes in your driveway. And if you ever wanted to go back to stock you can do that and sell the Access Port and get most of your money back.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Glad you're happy. But you realize with a Cobb Access Port you could have done the same thing with another tuner in 15 minutes in your driveway. And if you ever wanted to go back to stock you can do that and sell the Access Port and get most of your money back.
Yeah your correct in regards i could Have done the same thing in my drive way- my folks live in AL and it worked out to stop by APR on the way to NC that week. LOL 😆- i did read a lot on here regarding Cobb access port but i made The active decision of not wanted to mess with it i guess- downfall is i have To go to APR - meh all good i suppose- excuse to see the folks along the way 🙂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah your correct in regards i could Have done the same thing in my drive way- my folks live in AL and it worked out to stop by APR on the way to NC that week. LOL 😆- i did read a lot on here regarding Cobb access port but i made The active decision of not wanted to mess with it i guess- downfall is i have To go to APR - meh all good i suppose- excuse to see the folks along the way 🙂
Hey as long as you're happy that's all that matters. 👍

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI