GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to choose the right ECU upgrade

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes that’s exactly what he’s saying.

The turbo is not have to “spool up again” it’s still spinning it’s just going to have to repressurize the pipes, and it’s not even like it’s trying to build them back to full boost instantly if you are normal driving that is.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah sorry I must be an idiot because this isn’t adding up. Sounds like either there’s no actual different or the difference is extremely small.

I don’t use either tune so I’m gonna leave it be…

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The same from what I've seen with all the tunes I've had and currently have EQT.
Eqt and other Cobb tuners 100% do manipulate and alter the way the DV behaves, they specifically worked with Cobb to make the DV tables accessible and adjustable.

While the simple use of “more air or less air released can’t be used” they do alter it.

32BA4C09-007F-46D0-84B7-7E8FE7D16554.png

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yeah sorry I must be an idiot because this isn’t adding up. Sounds like either there’s no actual different or the difference is extremely small.

It's a huge difference man. The driveability is night and day. It's a better tune. Period. Tens of us wasted cash on uni to eventually go eqt or sneeky. There's quite a few threads on it. I posted a review of the difference a couple of months back.

Thanks @El_bigote_AJ

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

No need to leave be just cause you don’t get it… ask the questions or research how a forced induction system actually works. And the purpose of a DV/BOV and the how and why they operate. What exactly doesn’t add up?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
No need to leave be just cause you don’t get it… ask the questions or research how a forced induction system actually works. And the purpose of a DV/BOV and the how and why they operate. What exactly doesn’t add up?
Well it’s clear now that you posted the description from EQT. Totally different from what I was reading in this thread.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
and for me the biggest difference was the DV releasing boost on part throttle; EQT does not, so if you lay your foot off the gas for a bit, the DV stays closed and when you re-engage the pedal you're back where you started - with uni you need to build boost all over again;
F1C97217-59F5-4A14-BC80-7F78B20237D5.jpeg

Ok that sounds quite different from what Daks was describing.

Well it’s clear now that you posted the description from EQT. Totally different from what I was reading in this thread.

🤔🤔

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Like I said, the description from EQT explained it in a way that was clear and specific to certain issue. So thanks for posting that. Without that context, the descriptions in this thread sounded very different.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
By the way, I said this
So Daks is saying that on a Unitronic tune, if I go from 100% to 75% throttle, it complete dumps all the boost via the DV and so has to spool up again? That would basically be the same as traction control kicking in and cutting power every time you modulate the throttle. That sounds completely undrivable and I find it hard to believe that’s what happens.

To which you responded:
Yes that’s exactly what he’s saying.

So I don’t think you can blame me for being a little confused 😆

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
By the way, I said this

To which you responded:

So I don’t think you can blame me for being a little confused 😆
That was a Cobb problem that EQT figured out and if you read that it's at a narrow range of throttle input and RPM range. It definitely helps drive ability. Cobb must have updated the firmware on the Access Port because it is fixed on the Sneeky tunes also.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Don’t cut the rest of my response out 😂

That’s the key root of your confusion IMO, you don’t fully understand the a forced induction system, that’s why I was trying to expand on the purpose of the DV and the clarification of what “spool up again” in reality was…

IE:
How does that work though? If you’re calling for less throttle, then less air is needed…. So where does it go if EQT isn’t releasing it?

So it… releases less?
There are more pieces to the system, less “air” is needed and less “air” is produced via the turbo (compressor/turbine)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That was a Cobb problem that EQT figured out and if you read that it's at a narrow range of throttle input and RPM range. It definitely helps drive ability. Cobb must have updated the firmware on the Access Port because it is fixed on the Sneeky tunes also.
Exactly. This is different from what others were apparently describing. Glad it’s clear now 👍