GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to change the oil on a Mk7 Golf MQ200 or MQ250, 5 speed or 6 speed, manual gearbox.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the guide.
I have a few questions, and was hoping you could help:

I have a mk7 golf 2013 (63 Plate) 1.2tsi 105ps 6 speed UK - would this have the same gearbox as the guide? Could be, best is to look for the 3 letter code for the gearbox on the sticker in the front page of the service book fro your car.

If I fill 2.1 litres through the 'old fill hole' on the side - would that also do the same job and save the hassle of removing the reverse light switch etc?...NO...there appears to be a dead space which requires filling via the reverse switch...this is why you drain from two points..

Finally do you have any images or further clarification on the procedure in locking the selector mech - I have changed the gear oil in other vehicles before (namely toyotas) and not had to do this. Is this procedure absolutely neccessary? You have to lock the selector mech BECAUSE you are removing one of the pivot pins that keeps the mechanism together in the gearbox!

Also by placing the selector in neutral - do you mean the gear stick, or the selector linkage at the gear box itself? I state lock the selector mech on the top of the gearbox using the black locking pin lever handle on the side of the unit...you put the selector (or gearstick, doesn't matter as you can change gear moving the selector unit shaft...) in neutral first to enable you to feel for the indent for the locking pin.......

Answers on bold...

EDIT 13th April 2018. tiding up thread.

"afropelican" sent me info on the sticker in his service book. Its an 0AJ case your gearbox code is MYF..as stated on your service book sticker...

This gearbox is a MQ200 & has a totally different procedure for filling & draining the gearbox & the oil quantities are different...

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/g.../3/300-300008/

Last edited:

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the help mate!!

I've also found the workshop manuals for the golf, I can see what you mean about following this procedure as opposed to the old one. I'll check my service book tomorrow to make sure I've got the same gearbox.

Just ordered the 75 W Fuchs from opieoils with the plan to change the oil in May when the weathers better... although that's expecting a lot from the Scottish Weather! My cars at 54k and the previous owner never had it changed - so I'll update the thread to let you know if I feel a difference. If it made a difference to your car at less than 20k, it should make an improvement here too!

I'll lock the transmission and do it right, didn't click initially that removing the pivot pin was the reason!

Just a thought:
If I don't remove the pivot pin, theoretically I can do a partial fluid change and would not need to lock the transmission? This is assuming the majority of oil drains from the drain plug, and only a bit from the pivot pin.

Perhaps doing this theoretical partial drain and refill procedure twice, would achieve similar results, with reduced risk of damaging the gearbox?

- In this instance would using the side fill hole be suitable or is the side fill a no go in any instance?

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks.

Yeah if possible I'll be doing it the way you've posted - especially as your gearbox was under filled.

I just thought in the off chance the mechanics who worked on the car before I bought it snapped my locking lever whilst replacing timing belt like they snapped the cabin air filter clips, then I'd have an alternative approach.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
pm sent of all the codes.

I also found this diagram when I search up g0k https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showassembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=741958

The info you sent me..Its as I suspected an 0AJ case your gearbox code is MYF..as stated on your sticker...

This gearbox is a MQ200 & has a totally different procedure for filling & draining the gearbox & the oil quantities are different...

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-746/3/300-300008/

Last edited:

zero10

Ready to race!
How can I tell if I have an MQ250 transmission and therefore whether this modified procedure applies?

I've got a 17 Golf Trendline 1.8T (Canadian Model) with the 5MT. Reading my manual my engine / trans code is:
CXB A RTW

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
How can I tell if I have an MQ250 transmission and therefore whether this modified procedure applies?

I've got a 17 Golf Trendline 1.8T (Canadian Model) with the 5MT. Reading my manual my engine / trans code is:
CXB A RTW

Those codes came up with nothing for my data that I have....so I can't help...it could also have the MQ250 or MQ200 stamped on the trans shifter arm counter weight on the gearbox top...

zero10

Ready to race!
Those codes came up with nothing for my data that I have....so I can't help...it could also have the MQ250 or MQ200 stamped on the trans shifter arm counter weight on the gearbox top...

Well, thanks for checking and letting me know where I can perhaps figure this out myself. I'll check there when I'm changing the oil in a couple weeks. I'm not planning on changing the gearbox oil until I hit 60,000km in the fall so I'm just gathering knowledge early :)

Vaflex

Car(s)
Skoda Octavia III
Hey golfdave, what do you mean by:

FIRST & Highly Important!:- You need to FIRST lock the selector mech with the little black lever handle, this is on the top side of gearbox case. Put selector in neutral & push down a small amount & feel with the other hand for the indent whilst turning the small black locking lever from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock. If you do not do this you will lose the position of the gear selector mech in the gearbox & you are in for a tow job to the dealers!!

Can you show some photos ? Didnt understood this part.

On youtube tutorials people also skips this part probably.

Also about the oil - im thinking to change to fuchs 75w80 instead of fuchs 75w - any comments? :)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey golfdave, what do you mean by:

FIRST & Highly Important!:- You need to FIRST lock the selector mech with the little black lever handle, this is on the top side of gearbox case. Put selector in neutral & push down a small amount & feel with the other hand for the indent whilst turning the small black locking lever from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock. If you do not do this you will lose the position of the gear selector mech in the gearbox & you are in for a tow job to the dealers!!

Can you show some photos ? Didnt understood this part.

On youtube tutorials people also skips this part probably.

Also about the oil - im thinking to change to fuchs 75w80 instead of fuchs 75w - any comments? :)

Put the gearstick into neutral..then go into the engine bay & under the battery area there is the gearbox. On the side of the gearbox there is a small black lever..this is what you have to turn whilst gently pushing down on top of the selector mech on the top of the gearbox...

As for oil ...DO NOT go by "W" rating...you have to go my the VAG spec for the gearbox..this is the part number..I explain this in the first posts on this thread....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a quick reply to those looking for info on the MQ200 gearbox..

MQ200 is available in several different types...you have to look for the gearbox code on the cars data sticker or on the gearbox itself...

5 speed:-
Gearbox code NHW or PKH is actually a 0AH gearbox in the workbooks & requires 2.2lt of oil
Gearbox code PSU or PTB is actually a 0AF gearbox in the workbooks & requires 2.1lt of oil

6 speed:-
Gearbox code MYF, PRL, REK, RGN, RKC is actually a 0AJ gearbox in the workbooks & requires 2.3lt of oil

If the drain/fill plugs require a six sided hex key they require 30Nm of torque

If the drain/fill plugs require a twelve sided star key they require 25Nm of torque

You drain the oil from the lower drain plug & refill from the upper one. The level is correct when the car is level & the oil is up to the hole on the upper fill plug....

The drain/fill plugs are either side of the driveshafts.

yw96

Car(s)
[CZDA RSW]
Part 2 of 4
Research

On MQ250 Gearboxes:-

This guide was carried out on an MQ250 6 speed manual gearbox. The 6 speed is a 5 speed with a longer "add on" casing section for the sixth gear. The MQ250 is actually an old "02S" gearbox which was first introduced in 2004. The 02S is based on the 5 speed version called the "0A4" from the same year. The reason for the change in name is also the reason why we have an unusable oil filler/level plug on the front of the case! When these gearboxes were designed the gearbox case was mated to an engine which was tilted towards the front of the car. On the MQB platform, ALL engines are now tilted towards the rear of the car by 12deg! Therefore the old fill/level plug is now pointing up towards the bonnet & if you try to use this as the correct "level" you will overfill the gearbox with oil!!

Correct grade of gearbox oil:-
Previously the most common manual gearbox oil used by VAG was a 75w90 which was to an old VW standard of VW 501 50. Since 2013 VAG now uses a part number to designate the specification of the gear oil. I have contacted VWUK, who have NO specifications on the gear oil other than the VW part number & the bottle it comes in has nothing written on it either. So it’s a big secret! When I went onto various oil brand websites & used their selector apps, I was either recommended a 75w, or a 75w80. So I phoned up a couple of companies in the UK & both stated that I should only be using a 75w & the 75w80 is the wrong oil!

However when looking at my spec of Golf via VW ETKA parts catalogue it states my MQ250 QSZ gearbox as having "high performance gear oil" part No.:- G 052 527 A2!! Looking through all MK7 manual gearboxes there are two oils listed, a “basic grade” which is based on MQ number, i.e. an MQ250 basic grade oil is part No.:-G 052 512 A2 (A2 designates quantity of 1lt bottle), & a different part number to a MQ350 basic grade oil. However ALL gearboxes have a “high-performance transmission oil” option listed & all are the same part No.:- G 052 527 A2

So what do we do for our MQ250?? Easy, look at the gear oil “recommendations” & chose one that meets both the G 052 512 A2, & G 052 527 A2 standards.

Workshop manuals/self study guides state:-

MQ200 5-speed:-
0AH design type fitted to:-
Petrol 1.2lt, 63kW, 77kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:-NHW, PKH, SAN
Oil type required = G 052 512
Quantity of oil required = 2.2lt
12 point drain/fill plugs 25Nm, six point = 30Nm

0AF design type fitted to:-
Petrol 1.2lt, 63kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MYH, PTB
Diesel 1.6lt, 81kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- PSU
Oil type required = G 052 527 oil = PSU, PTB
Quantity of oil required = 2.1lt

MQ200 6-speed:-
0AJ design type fitted to:-
Petrol 1.0lt, 81kW 85kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- QGG, REK, SEE
Petrol 1.2lt, 77kW 81kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MYF, PRL, RGN, RKC, SEH, SEK
Petrol 1.4lt, 81kW 85kW, 90kW, 92kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MYF, PRL, RGN, SEH, SEK
Petrol 1.5lt, 96kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- RLP, SEL,
Oil type required =
G 052 171 oil = MYF
G 052 527 oil = PRL, REK, RGN
Quantity of oil = 2.3lt

MQ250 5-speed:-
0A4 design type fitted to:-
Diesel 1.6lt, 66kW, 77kW 81kW, 85kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MWW, PME, QYB, RSC, RTD
Diesel 2lt, 81kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MWX, QVW,
Oil type required = G 052 512 oil or G 052 527 oil
Quantity of oil = 1.8lt for normal oil change. 2.0lt for gearbox dismantle & rebuild
Remove reverse switch drain plug to 35Nm

MQ250 6-speed:-
02S design type fitted to:-
Petrol 1.4lt, 103kW, 110kW = Codes stamped on casing:- NBJ, QSZ, QXH, RSW,
Petrol 1.5lt, 110kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- RMH
Diesel 1.6lt, 81kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- PTW, QVX, RSD,
Oil type required =
G 052 512 oil = NBJ
G 052 527 oil = PTW, QSZ
Quantity of oil = 2.1lt for normal oil change. 2.3lt for gearbox dismantle & rebuild
Remove reverse switch drain plug to 35Nm

Both of these oils meet the recommendations of the G 052 512 A2, & G 052 527 A2 standards. I used Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75w, as it was easier for me to get hold of.

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75w:-
Density at 15°C (DIN 51757) = 0,873g/ml
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C (DIN 51562-1) = 40.8mm²/s
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C (DIN 51562-1) = 6.7mm²/s
Viscosity index (DIN ISO 2909) = 119
Flash point, CoC (DIN ISO 2592) = 221°C
Pour point (DIN ISO 3016) = -44°C

ROWE Hightec Topgear FE SAE 75w80 S:-
Density at 15°C (ASTM D-7042) = 0,854g/ml
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C (ASTM D-7042) = 37.8mm²/s
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C (ASTM D-7042) = 7.5mm²/s
Viscosity index (ASTM D-7042) = 173
Flash point (ASTM D-92 / DIN EN ISO 2592) = 180°C
Pour point (ASTM D-97 / DIN EN ISO 3016) = -44°C

What is very strange is that the Fuchs 75w80 does not meet either of the two standards required for our gearboxes & yet the ROWE is a 75w80 & does meet both standards! :confused:

So DO NOT go by the “W” rating, only go by the “recommendations” list on the oil bottle!!
Is it ok for me to fill this oil into a 02S RSW Gearbox? The oil I have provided has almost identical viscosity parameters to the ROWE oil provided in the thread.

(edit: I am asking this question because I have already replaced the tranny oil with it. I am aware that the manufacturer did not specify this oil can replace either G052512 or G052527.)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is it ok for me to fill this oil into a 02S RSW Gearbox? The oil I have provided has almost identical viscosity parameters to the ROWE oil provided in the thread.

(edit: I am asking this question because I have already replaced the tranny oil with it. I am aware that the manufacturer did not specify this oil can replace either G052512 or G052527.)

As I have stated before you look for the VW part number..& that one states:-

SUITABLE FOR USE WHERE SPECIFICATIONS BELOW ARE REQUIRED (FOR OUT OF WARRANTY SERVICE) Ford M2C200-D2 MB 235.7. VW G 052 512

& your gearbox requires either G 052 512 or G 052 527

I don't think they have full approval for in warranty use of this oil for either of those standards as they state these other in warranty VW numbers:-
Pro Gear 70W-75 may be used where the following part numbers are specified: BMW 2300 1434404, BMW 2300 7533513 Ford 52171VX00, GM1052931 VW G052171, VW G052178, VW G052798

It seems ok enough...if you are that worried email them...

tsi20

Car(s)
2020 Volkswagen Golf
Part 3 of 4
Parts required

VAG ETKA illustration for Golf/2013/Gearbox/No.311-088

Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.8A:- N 90362001
, “O” ring £2.48 (x1) (only required for the MQ250 gearboxes)

Procedure for the MQ200 gearboxes
This is the old VAG gearbox drain. Basically there is one drain plug by the driveshaft to drain & onw high up on the same section to fill via. Undo the drain plug, drain oil, refit drain plug, drop car down to level ground. Then fill the oil via the upper plug until it come out of the plug. Basically the oil is level when it reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole & stop pouring out! If the drain/fill plug is a 12point TX star anti-tamper torque to 25Nm, if its a six side hex type, torque to 30Nm.

Procedure for the MQ250 gearboxes
FIRST & Highly Important!:-
You need to FIRST lock the selector mech with the little black lever handle, this is on the top side of gearbox case. Put selector in neutral & push down a small amount & feel with the other hand for the indent whilst turning the small black locking lever from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock. If you do not do this you will lose the position of the gear selector mech in the gearbox & you are in for a tow job to the dealers!!

2. Using a 17mm hex undo the main rear drain plug & collect the oil in a suitable container.

3. After the above has fully drained remove the pivot pin plug (bolt requires T-Star T45). Allow the oil to fully drain from here. Once this has drained, fit new o-ring (VW part no. N90362001) to the plug shank. Lightly lube the plug & “O”-ring with new gearbox oil, & use a small amount of medium strength thread lock (blue Loctite) on the bolt. Replace the plug & torque bolt (25Nm/18lbft).

4. Clean threads, & replace the main drain plug & torque (35Nm/26lbft)

5. Now you can unlock (turn the black lever handle back to 9 o’clock) the selector mech & make certain it is in neutral to avoid damaging the reverse light switch.

6. Remove the reverse light switch (undo connector easy by squeezing top of tab into body), & then use a 22mm spanner or long socket.

7. Using a 10mm dia max (external) hose (18inch or 50cm) & funnel, insert hose into the hole for the reverse light switch & slowly pour in the new oil (this takes ages..so kneel on floor on cushion...)

8. Refit the reverse light switch & use some blue hymolar on it (flex gasket/sealant)...torque up (20Nm/15lbft). I used a 22mm diesel injector tall socket (also does Lambda sensors) & reconnect the reverse light switch.
View attachment 150497View attachment 150500

Hi, thanks for the write up. I know this post is years old but I have a few questions regarding the fill process for my 2020 Golf MQ250 6 speed. Do I fill through the reverse light switch hole on the top of the transmission until it’s topped out? Or do I fill the appropriate measured amount? You mentioned that filling through the original fill plug will overfill the transmission, but doesn’t the reverse light switch plug sit higher than the fill plug? That last part is confusing to me. Any help would be appreciated.