GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to change the oil on a Mk7 Golf MQ200 or MQ250, 5 speed or 6 speed, manual gearbox.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, thanks for the write up. I know this post is years old but I have a few questions regarding the fill process for my 2020 Golf MQ250 6 speed. Do I fill through the reverse light switch hole on the top of the transmission until it’s topped out? Or do I fill the appropriate measured amount? You mentioned that filling through the original fill plug will overfill the transmission, but doesn’t the reverse light switch plug sit higher than the fill plug? That last part is confusing to me. Any help would be appreciated.

You pour in the 2.1lts (for the MQ250 6speed) only...so measure it out first.....main post edited to make this clearer...

pawelmail

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7 1.6 TDI
Hej...

Bardzo dziękuję autorowi za obszerny wpis wymiany oleju w skrzyni biegów MQ250.

Mój mechanik nie ma pojęcia jak właściwie olej, nawet nie znają procedury z blokowaniem wałka itp.

Mam pytanie:

Oczywiście sam wymienię olej w skrzyni. Moja skrzynia biegów do QYB 5-biegowa, czyli jak rozumiem MQ250. Rok MK7 do 2015-2016. Pytanie o olej.... Serwis wciska mi olej, który według producenta po 2013 roku zaleca g 052 527. Cena jest bardzo drogi bo 1 litr do około 45 €. Olej G 052 512 jest równy tańszy. Czy mogę przesiąść się na G 052 512 mimo że serwis poleca G052 527 ? Domyślam się, że VW chce mnie oszukać, ale wolę też pytać na forum.

Dziękuję za twoją odpowiedź.

Bez tytułu.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hej...

Bardzo dziękuję autorowi za obszerny wpis wymiany oleju w skrzyni biegów MQ250.

Mój mechanik nie ma pojęcia jak właściwie olej, nawet nie znają procedury z blokowaniem wałka itp.

Mam pytanie:

Oczywiście sam wymienię olej w skrzyni. Moja skrzynia biegów do QYB 5-biegowa, czyli jak rozumiem MQ250. Rok MK7 do 2015-2016. Pytanie o olej.... Serwis wciska mi olej, który według producenta po 2013 roku zaleca g 052 527. Cena jest bardzo drogi bo 1 litr do około 45 €. Olej G 052 512 jest równy tańszy. Czy mogę przesiąść się na G 052 512 mimo że serwis poleca G052 527 ? Domyślam się, że VW chce mnie oszukać, ale wolę też pytać na forum.

Dziękuję za twoją odpowiedź.

View attachment 242275
From the first few posts:-

MQ250 5-speed:-
0A4 design type fitted to:-
Diesel 1.6lt, 66kW, 77kW 81kW, 85kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MWW, PME, QYB, RSC, RTD
Diesel 2lt, 81kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- MWX, QVW,
Oil type required = G 052 512 oil or G 052 527 oil
Quantity of oil = 1.8lt for normal oil change. 2.0lt for gearbox dismantle & rebuild

You can use either of those two oil specifications...

pawelmail

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7 1.6 TDI
Od kilku pierwszych postów:-

MQ250 5-biegowa:-
Typ konstrukcji 0A4 dopasowany do:-
Diesel 1,6l, 66kW, 77kW 81kW, 85kW = Kody wybite na obudowie skrzyni biegów:- MWW, PME, QYB, RSC, RTD
Diesel 2lt, 81kW = Kody wybite na obudowie skrzyni biegów:- MWX, QVW,
Wymagany rodzaj oleju = olej G 052 512 lub olej G 052 527
Ilość oleju = 1,8 l przy normalnej wymianie oleju. 2,0 litra do demontażu i odbudowy skrzyni biegów

Możesz użyć jednej z tych dwóch specyfikacji oleju...
Ok, bardzo dziękuję za odpowiedź.:)

JCalado

Car(s)
Golf VII 1.4 TSI ACT
Hello,

First thanks golfdave for all the how to guides you've made, it's top notch content.

I've read all the thread, has most of the guides you've made and could not find a reason to not fill the 2.1lts of oil from the "old" plug against going with the reverse light switch one and all the trouble that comes with it. There is some reason you didn't mention or just an express rule from Vw?

thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello,

First thanks golfdave for all the how to guides you've made, it's top notch content.

I've read all the thread, has most of the guides you've made and could not find a reason to not fill the 2.1lts of oil from the "old" plug against going with the reverse light switch one and all the trouble that comes with it. There is some reason you didn't mention or just an express rule from Vw?

thank you

I was quoting 100% from the VW workbooks.

However as the new engine are rotated backwards towards the rear of the car, the old fill plug is pointing more upwards. So although you cannot use it as a "level" you could use it as a "fill" hole...which saves you having to use the reverse switch hole.....I suppose VW stated this way to stop mechanics accidently forgetting using the old plug as "level"....when it should only be for "fill".....so long as you have the exact amount pre-measured out I see no reason to not use the old level plug as it should be pointing more upwards, so less chance of oil pouring back out...

interesting.... :unsure:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
UPDATE October 2022
Info added to initial first few posts:-

I like to change my MQ250 gearbox oil as per the "old" service schedule - every 5yrs. As its 5yrs since I originally did the gearbox oil change, I now tried to fill via the "old" fill/level plug to see if this would work, if at all. The answer is NO!!

I went for a short drive & got the engine oil upto 96C & did lots of gearchanges to get the gearbox oil hot as well. I then let it drain for 3hrs & got 2.1lts out so there is no real need to drain it for longer.

Basically, after pouring in 1.3lts of oil via the "old" fill/level plug it started to come out of the fill/level hole! Therefore, the gearbox must be tilted forwards with the hole now facing downwards compared to when it was used previous to the MQB platform. This is different to the ERWIN/VAG workshop books which give the impression that the hole is pointing upwards!..Unless its "got lost in translation" from German!

I note that when used previously, the 02S gearbox had a refill of circa 1.9lts of oil. This tying in with the 1.9lts of oil that I drained out of the gearbox when I first changed it in 2017. However, ERWIN/VAG still state for my MQ250 gearbox 2.3lts for a full strip down/rebuild & 2.1lts for a refill, & I got 2.1lts out this time, as thats what I poured in last time!

I don't know why, but it requires more oil now, for some as of yet unknown reason!

I will state that the old oil still looked as clean/clear as the spare unused oil I still had in the bottle, so thats good news!

I also decided to try a different oil this time around so......After speaking to their tech dept & the tech dept of the oil supplier, I have refilled with:- Millers Oils Motorsport CRX 75w NT+

So thats a fixed 75w to API GL-4 with their "Nanodrive" ester technology. It has NOT been sent to VAG for approval, as they don't do this for their motorsport oils. However, it has similar characteristics to their "normal" Millers Oils XF Premium MTF 75w which is approved to the VW specs 052 512 A2, & G 052 527 A2.

Initial observations:-
  1. The car is even quieter, with less transmission noise generally, & especially under heavy acceleration in 3rd & 4th gears (when overtaking).
  2. The car freewheels more when you come off the accelerator. In fact on a flat straight at 60mph there is little initial difference when you come off the accelerator & have the clutch depressed or not!
  3. The gears slide in better. When moving from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th, you would have to fully push the gearstick forwards into the higher gear from neutral. Now once the gearstick is out of the lower gear, across neutral & just edges into the higher gear…..it just drops straight in!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello @golfdave . I own a european Seat Leon mk3 1.8 6speed manual 02S RSN and i'm looking forward to change the gear oils. I don't want to pay for the OEM VW Transmission fluid G 052527A2.
Liqui Moly suggests the Top Tec MTF 5300 70W-75W
https://www.liqui-moly.com/el/gr/top-tec-mtf-5300-70w-75w-p004824.html#21359

It's ok?

Liquid-Moly states it meets the VW standard of:-G 052 527......which is the high performance gear oil for the manual MQ gearboxes.

Should be ok...

aysmen

Car(s)
Audi A3
Hello, i have a 2013 1.8 TSI 180 HP with manual gearbox 6 speeds , the CCV code is NBH.
I can follow the same procedure for MQ250 from first page?
What Quality of oil and quantity do i need?
Thank you!!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello, i have a 2013 1.8 TSI 180 HP with manual gearbox 6 speeds , the CCV code is NBH.
I can follow the same procedure for MQ250 from first page?
What Quality of oil and quantity do i need?
Thank you!!!

6 speed MQ250...should be the same as

MQ250 6-speed:-
02S design type fitted to:-
Petrol 1.4lt, 103kW, 110kW = Codes stamped on casing:- NBJ, QSZ, QXH, RSW,
Petrol 1.5lt, 110kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- RMH
Diesel 1.6lt, 81kW = Codes stamped on gearbox casing:- PTW, QVX, RSD,
Oil type required =
G 052 512 oil = NBJ
G 052 527 oil = PTW, QSZ
Quantity of oil = 2.1lt for normal oil change. 2.3lt for gearbox dismantle & rebuild
Remove reverse switch drain plug to 35Nm

So basically what I have & follow mine:- drain via lower plug & then remove the reverse light switch & fill from that!...

You will need “high-performance transmission oil” part No.:- G 052 527 A2

So any of the oils that I have listed that meet those specs...

aysmen

Car(s)
Audi A3
Hello,

I was on auto parts store and after gave my VIN they told me i need G055512A2 oil.Can be this oil for a NBH manual gearbox from 03.2013?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello,

I was on auto parts store and after gave my VIN they told me i need G055512A2 oil.Can be this oil for a NBH manual gearbox from 03.2013?

Don't know that gearbox code......nearest is NHB which is a DSG gearbox.... 🤷‍♂️

progchild

Car(s)
Octavia III 5e 2015
I changed the oil for a RedLine Gear Oil MT-90 GL4 75W90 and added a xenum vrx gear anti-friction additive and now the gearbox is different, much smoother.
but 2.1 liters of oil did not enter, it was less.

MQ250-6F QSZ

Giuseppe Busso

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon mk3 1.8 FR
52Κ km's and 5,5yrs old car i changed for first time the gear oil at my manual MQ250 02S gearbox.
I used 2lt of the Liqui Moly Top Tec MTF 5300 70W-75W and added 20ml of the Liqui Moly MoS2.
Eliminates lift off whining sounds and gear engaging is smoother.
I suggest to everyone to plan a gear oil change for MTs.

Thanks @golfdave for the guide