GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to change the oil on a Mk7 Golf MQ200 or MQ250, 5 speed or 6 speed, manual gearbox.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the guide.
I have a few questions, and was hoping you could help:

I have a mk7 golf 2013 (63 Plate) 1.2tsi 105ps 6 speed UK - would this have the same gearbox as the guide? Could be, best is to look for the 3 letter code for the gearbox on the sticker in the front page of the service book fro your car.

If I fill 2.1 litres through the 'old fill hole' on the side - would that also do the same job and save the hassle of removing the reverse light switch etc?...NO...there appears to be a dead space which requires filling via the reverse switch...this is why you drain from two points..

Finally do you have any images or further clarification on the procedure in locking the selector mech - I have changed the gear oil in other vehicles before (namely toyotas) and not had to do this. Is this procedure absolutely neccessary? You have to lock the selector mech BECAUSE you are removing one of the pivot pins that keeps the mechanism together in the gearbox!

Also by placing the selector in neutral - do you mean the gear stick, or the selector linkage at the gear box itself? I state lock the selector mech on the top of the gearbox using the black locking pin lever handle on the side of the unit...you put the selector (or gearstick, doesn't matter as you can change gear moving the selector unit shaft...) in neutral first to enable you to feel for the indent for the locking pin.......

Answers on bold...

EDIT 13th April 2018. tiding up thread.

"afropelican" sent me info on the sticker in his service book. Its an 0AJ case your gearbox code is MYF..as stated on your service book sticker...

This gearbox is a MQ200 & has a totally different procedure for filling & draining the gearbox & the oil quantities are different...

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/g.../3/300-300008/

Last edited:

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the help mate!!

I've also found the workshop manuals for the golf, I can see what you mean about following this procedure as opposed to the old one. I'll check my service book tomorrow to make sure I've got the same gearbox.

Just ordered the 75 W Fuchs from opieoils with the plan to change the oil in May when the weathers better... although that's expecting a lot from the Scottish Weather! My cars at 54k and the previous owner never had it changed - so I'll update the thread to let you know if I feel a difference. If it made a difference to your car at less than 20k, it should make an improvement here too!

I'll lock the transmission and do it right, didn't click initially that removing the pivot pin was the reason!

Just a thought:
If I don't remove the pivot pin, theoretically I can do a partial fluid change and would not need to lock the transmission? This is assuming the majority of oil drains from the drain plug, and only a bit from the pivot pin.

Perhaps doing this theoretical partial drain and refill procedure twice, would achieve similar results, with reduced risk of damaging the gearbox?

- In this instance would using the side fill hole be suitable or is the side fill a no go in any instance?

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks.

Yeah if possible I'll be doing it the way you've posted - especially as your gearbox was under filled.

I just thought in the off chance the mechanics who worked on the car before I bought it snapped my locking lever whilst replacing timing belt like they snapped the cabin air filter clips, then I'd have an alternative approach.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
pm sent of all the codes.

I also found this diagram when I search up g0k https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showassembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=741958

The info you sent me..Its as I suspected an 0AJ case your gearbox code is MYF..as stated on your sticker...

This gearbox is a MQ200 & has a totally different procedure for filling & draining the gearbox & the oil quantities are different...

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-746/3/300-300008/

Last edited:

zero10

Ready to race!
How can I tell if I have an MQ250 transmission and therefore whether this modified procedure applies?

I've got a 17 Golf Trendline 1.8T (Canadian Model) with the 5MT. Reading my manual my engine / trans code is:
CXB A RTW

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
How can I tell if I have an MQ250 transmission and therefore whether this modified procedure applies?

I've got a 17 Golf Trendline 1.8T (Canadian Model) with the 5MT. Reading my manual my engine / trans code is:
CXB A RTW

Those codes came up with nothing for my data that I have....so I can't help...it could also have the MQ250 or MQ200 stamped on the trans shifter arm counter weight on the gearbox top...

zero10

Ready to race!
Those codes came up with nothing for my data that I have....so I can't help...it could also have the MQ250 or MQ200 stamped on the trans shifter arm counter weight on the gearbox top...

Well, thanks for checking and letting me know where I can perhaps figure this out myself. I'll check there when I'm changing the oil in a couple weeks. I'm not planning on changing the gearbox oil until I hit 60,000km in the fall so I'm just gathering knowledge early :)

Vaflex

Car(s)
Skoda Octavia III
Hey golfdave, what do you mean by:

FIRST & Highly Important!:- You need to FIRST lock the selector mech with the little black lever handle, this is on the top side of gearbox case. Put selector in neutral & push down a small amount & feel with the other hand for the indent whilst turning the small black locking lever from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock. If you do not do this you will lose the position of the gear selector mech in the gearbox & you are in for a tow job to the dealers!!

Can you show some photos ? Didnt understood this part.

On youtube tutorials people also skips this part probably.

Also about the oil - im thinking to change to fuchs 75w80 instead of fuchs 75w - any comments? :)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey golfdave, what do you mean by:

FIRST & Highly Important!:- You need to FIRST lock the selector mech with the little black lever handle, this is on the top side of gearbox case. Put selector in neutral & push down a small amount & feel with the other hand for the indent whilst turning the small black locking lever from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock. If you do not do this you will lose the position of the gear selector mech in the gearbox & you are in for a tow job to the dealers!!

Can you show some photos ? Didnt understood this part.

On youtube tutorials people also skips this part probably.

Also about the oil - im thinking to change to fuchs 75w80 instead of fuchs 75w - any comments? :)

Put the gearstick into neutral..then go into the engine bay & under the battery area there is the gearbox. On the side of the gearbox there is a small black lever..this is what you have to turn whilst gently pushing down on top of the selector mech on the top of the gearbox...

As for oil ...DO NOT go by "W" rating...you have to go my the VAG spec for the gearbox..this is the part number..I explain this in the first posts on this thread....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a quick reply to those looking for info on the MQ200 gearbox..

MQ200 is available in several different types...you have to look for the gearbox code on the cars data sticker or on the gearbox itself...

5 speed:-
Gearbox code NHW or PKH is actually a 0AH gearbox in the workbooks & requires 2.2lt of oil
Gearbox code PSU or PTB is actually a 0AF gearbox in the workbooks & requires 2.1lt of oil

6 speed:-
Gearbox code MYF, PRL, REK, RGN, RKC is actually a 0AJ gearbox in the workbooks & requires 2.3lt of oil

If the drain/fill plugs require a six sided hex key they require 30Nm of torque

If the drain/fill plugs require a twelve sided star key they require 25Nm of torque

You drain the oil from the lower drain plug & refill from the upper one. The level is correct when the car is level & the oil is up to the hole on the upper fill plug....

The drain/fill plugs are either side of the driveshafts.