GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to cancel drone with a Quarter Wave Tube

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
So last year some time, I had Rampage Fabrication build me a 3.5 inch turboback exhaust. One large 3.5/3.5 vibrant muffler, split at the rear suspension to two 3 inch tips. Looks stock, idles quiet, sounds pretty good. Well, good until you get between 2500 and 3000 rpms, then a horrible, booming, brassy, 350 Z-ish noise comes out. I basically just drove around the noisy spot for months, stayed below 2k rpms, got fantastic gas mileage, and if I had to stand on it, it’d jump above 3k anyway. My wife didn’t like driving the car at all anymore, people would look at her in traffic, even at part throttle it was nasty, and with the APR flash, at moderate throttle it stays right in that range all the time.

Talking with Gabe at Rampage, he turned me towards a Helmholz resonator as a means of attenuating (cancelling out or silencing) unwanted frequencies without causing any sort of actual restriction in the exhaust. So I started researching the idea.

https://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/Helmholtz.html

https://lautsprechershop.de/tools/t_helmholtz_en.htm

At this point I realized I wasn’t as good at math as I thought I was, but during the course of the research I’d found something called a Quarter Wave Tube (QWT). It functions essentially the same way, amplifying or cancelling out a pressure wave within a certain range of frequencies, and the math was much easier.

The meat and potatoes is that you calculate the speed of sound at a given temp, calculate the frequency of the resonance that’s bothering you, in my case it was 91.25 HZ (you can calculate this by exhaust pulses per second based on RPM or just use an audio scanning app on your phone to figure out the problem frequency), and with that extrapolate the length of the soundwave, or distance between pressure pulses. It’s called a quarter wave tube because you want the length of the tube to be one quarter of the wavelength that you want to cancel out. So the sound wave enters the tube, travels to the end, bounces back, and should re-enter the exhaust stream halfway between pulses, thereby cancelling the resonance.

https://www.acoustics.asn.au/conference_proceedings/AAS2012/papers/p79.pdf
Something interesting that they noted in the study above is that the temp inside the quarter wave tube didn’t go too far above ambient, so if we use say 100f as a constant, and 91.25 Hz as the frequency to disrupt, we can calculate the wavelength, and use one quarter of that length as the length of the QWT.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/speed-of-sound

Where lambda is the wavelength…

λ = v/f = speed of sound / frequency

λ = (1159 fps)/(91.25Hz)

λ = 12.7 feet

And to get the length of the quarter wave tube, divide that length by 4, and you get 3.17 feet, or 38.1 inches.

Some notes, if you can integrate a bellmouth orifice where the QWT connects to the exhaust, it will be much more effective, and the closer you can get to the engine, the more powerful the pulses will be and theoretically give you a more powerful cancellation pulse.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
where did you fit a 38" quarter wave pipe? and what diameter pipe did you use? I've been looking into doing this with my vibrant resonator as well to try and be very close to 100% drone free (pretty minimal on my system now, after i added a 6" section of flex pipe inform of the resonator also) but i cant seem fit adequate space closer to the engine side in the tunnel.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
In front of the mid muffler, in line with the exhaust. I'll try and snag a photo this weekend.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Any updates?

where did you fit a 38" quarter wave pipe? and what diameter pipe did you use? I've been looking into doing this with my vibrant resonator as well to try and be very close to 100% drone free (pretty minimal on my system now, after i added a 6" section of flex pipe inform of the resonator also) but i cant seem fit adequate space closer to the engine side in the tunnel.

What was the purpose of the flex pipe?

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
20200514_120820.jpg
20200514_120810.jpg
20200514_120826.jpg

It's funny you ask, my car happened to be on jackstands already, so I had no excuse 🤣

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Wow that looks absolutely amazing. So is it generaly safe to say the QWT can be 0.5" smaller than the main exhaust? I have been having drone issues with a catback and after a lot of research it seems like this is the only way to really get rid of the drone.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
If you look at bisimotos pulse wave exhaust for the aircooled 911 market, his looks to be about half the diameter, perhaps less. The papers I referenced above stated that they used a velocity stack type opening to boost the effectiveness, I'd bet a nickel that you could downsize the resonant space even further if you used a bellmouth orifice. Here's a couple more photos of the exhaust, Rampage makes art, you just happen to be able to bolt it to your car.
20200516_161133.jpg
20200516_161141.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you look at bisimotos pulse wave exhaust for the aircooled 911 market, his looks to be about half the diameter, perhaps less. The papers I referenced above stated that they used a velocity stack type opening to boost the effectiveness, I'd bet a nickel that you could downsize the resonant space even further if you used a bellmouth orifice. Here's a couple more photos of the exhaust, Rampage makes art, you just happen to be able to bolt it to your car.View attachment 173499View attachment 173500

Rampage does excellent work!

So with the quarter length installed is the drone gone and wife happy?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I will be in contact with an exhaust shop this week to try and see if they can make quarter wave tube for me. I really hope it kills the drone and that they can find enough room to squeeze it in under the car.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I will be in contact with an exhaust shop this week to try and see if they can make quarter wave tube for me. I really hope it kills the drone and that they can find enough room to squeeze it in under the car.
They won’t do the math for you... you’ll have to find the drone frequency that’s bothering you first and they find out the length needed they the shop will build

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
They won’t do the math for you... you’ll have to find the drone frequency that’s bothering you first and they find out the length needed they the shop will build

Oh yeah I already have all that calculated as well as the lengths and diameters needed for this to work, I just meant I need to see if the shop will do it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny