GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to add a fuse to the cabin fuse box in a couple of minutes

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Just thought I'd share my experience with adding a fuse where the purple locking mechansim is located, specifically SC16. Last week I installed my third OEM wireless charger and while it still took about 4 hour to do, I managed to install the fuse again in OEM location. This time I got the purple locking tab out without breaking it. I also did not take any trim off to do the installation. As noted above, I just removed the three bolts from the fuse panel, unclicked the tabs, and slowly rotated the fuse panel using trim tools. After working at it for about an hour, I was able to use a hook pick to pry the purple tab out and zip tie to get the wire in. It is possible, just a pain the ass.

View attachment 259296

I’ve tried this and got the fuse panel tilted like you show but the pink upper fuse locking tab would not move. I gave it a nudge few times and it broke off so I gave up…I was trying to add a 7.5A fuse into F18 slot for reverse camera, I guess I’ll have to add a fuse tap instead. What is the purpose of the pink locking tab, it just pain in the ass to remove.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve tried this and got the fuse panel tilted like you show but the pink upper fuse locking tab would not move. I gave it a nudge few times and it broke off so I gave up…I was trying to add a 7.5A fuse into F18 slot for reverse camera, I guess I’ll have to add a fuse tap instead. What is the purpose of the pink locking tab, it just pain in the ass to remove.
Do you want it to be constant 12V or switched 12V?

There are non-locking options available for both.

Just hooked up a switched 12V this weekend and was coming here to say awesome post haha.

Last edited:

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Shucks. Not sure how much you broke off but I did the same on my Golf R and my wife’s Tiguan. Even with the tab broken I was able to use the hook pick to get the tab out. Not sure how to explain it in the forum.

Not entirely sure of the purpose. I assume its a security measure to prevent potential theft? I agree though, seems like a random addition to the fuse box considering the lower fuses don’t have a locking tab.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Do you want it to be constant 12V or switcher 12V?

There are non-locking options available for both.

Just hooked up a switched 12V this weekend and was coming here to say awesome post haha.
I need a constant 12V feed for reverse camera. The reason I wanted to use F18 slot is because it’s the original location for reverse camera, but I guess it doesn’t have to be that specific slot.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Shucks. Not sure how much you broke off but I did the same on my Golf R and my wife’s Tiguan. Even with the tab broken I was able to use the hook pick to get the tab out. Not sure how to explain it in the forum.

Not entirely sure of the purpose. I assume its a security measure to prevent potential theft? I agree though, seems like a random addition to the fuse box considering the lower fuses don’t have a locking tab.
Yeah, I’ll give it one more attempt with something pointy and try to slide it out, plastic itself seems real brittle though.
My plan B is to use non-locking fuse slot with constant power or if that doesn’t work out than just use a fuse tap.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Yeah, I’ll give it one more attempt with something pointy and try to slide it out, plastic itself seems real brittle though.
My plan B is to use non-locking fuse slot with constant power or if that doesn’t work out than fuse tap it is.
Well, kind of a stretch but I’m in CT, USA. If you’re relatively nearby, I could help you out, lol. If you don’t have a specific hook pick, I would highly recommend using that only.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I need a constant 12V feed for reverse camera. The reason I wanted to use F18 slot is because it’s the original location for reverse camera, but I guess it doesn’t have to be that specific slot.
38 & 41 are constant 12V.

Unless you need to add a second for something in the future, shoot for 41.

It is kind of tough to feed them in. Use the first post tip about the steel strip. I used a bicycle spoke that I flattened. Fed the spoke through the cabin side, exiting the back side of the panel. I left the spoke "rough filed" as described.

Once I got the terminal started, I used a small, flat blade screw driver from the backside to help seat the terminal. Luckily these terminals are wider than the micro or other smaller variant.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Well, kind of a stretch but I’m in CT, USA. If you’re relatively nearby, I could help you out, lol. If you don’t have a specific hook pick, I would highly recommend using that only.
Thanks for the offer, but I am in Pittsburgh, so not worth the drive ;)

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Second attempt was a success, I was able to feed the wire from the glovebox and added the 7.5A fuse into slot F18 for reverse camera.
Thanks for the tips.

222F60E1-09DA-46FA-A5D3-8A6ACC1B8ECF.jpeg

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I'm adding a 200W amp which calls for 12awg wire and a 20A fuse (it's powering a small 6.5" woofer so will probably be operating at a fraction of its rated power). Wondering if I can just use the +12V rail in the cabin fuse box and add the fuse there, or is that asking too much of it?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My recommendation would be look at your fuse box then look at the full fuse box diagram for our car.

If the full diagram shows a 20 amp fuse somewhere that your car does not have then you're probably good to go.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
My recommendation would be look at your fuse box then look at the full fuse box diagram for our car.

If the full diagram shows a 20 amp fuse somewhere that your car does not have then you're probably good to go.

Perfect - DCC and convertible top slots should be good candidates, thanks