GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to add a fuse to the cabin fuse box in a couple of minutes

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
While angsting about which connectors to buy for my fuse panel, I came across some repair wires I bought for my Mk-4's tail lights (wagon "5-brake-light' mod)

I can't find the order from when I got them, so I have no idea if they're useful for the mini-ATO fuse positions in my dashboard fuse panel.

I might have bought them at ECS Tuning, but for some reason they can't reset my password so I can't check previous orders :(

Any of you able to identify this connector?
Looks like a JPT to me. Please check your dimensions against the following link JPT

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Ah! I think the on in that ECS link is different, the connector looks different.

Gotcha, I couldn't really tell. I saw a different type of tip and a yellow wire and thought it mighta been a trigger wire.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
2.8mm is the mating flat connector width. In your case one leg of the fuse

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Some people say trigger wire, some people say repair wire. I think it's the same thing https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/rear-fog-light-trigger-wire/000979009e/

Trigger wire historically is a narrow diameter wire carrying low current from a switch to a relay, to "trigger" a switching event capable of higher current, like triggering a relay. In modern cars, a trigger wire can also be a wire that sends a low power signal from a switch to the BCM or some other module to tell that module to execute some function. In both cases, it means a low power wire.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi, I am doing xenon retrofit and I need to put new wires on SC 36 & 37. I have tried it and it won't go in, it seems that on those positions is a secondary look. How I can remove the secondary lock to insert those wires?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The secondary locks are on the door side of the fuse panel, purple plastic how ya doings. They suck. Pretty much have to pull the lower dash apart.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Great write up! Wish I had this when I tore my dash apart to do the clips. Pretty sure I broke one, but no worse for the wear so far.

Anfas

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8L
Hey!
Can someone point me to the procedure/manual/DIY about what should be disassembled and in what order to reach the back side of cabin fuse box, please? I'm stuck on removing of lower dash as its right part (left drive golf) doesn't go out because of center console trim.
Thanks in advance.

milktree

Car(s)
’15 sportwagen TDI
Hey!
Can someone point me to the procedure/manual/DIY about what should be disassembled and in what order to reach the back side of cabin fuse box, please? I'm stuck on removing of lower dash as its right part (left drive golf) doesn't go out because of center console trim.
Thanks in advance.

I think the correct way to do this is "don't take it out, reach behind it"

i.e. thread the wire from the back, but align it by sticking something through from the front.

This doesn't help with any of the fuse locations that have the purple retainer thing, of course.

If there's a non absurd way to get the fuse box out enough to work on the back, I'd love to see it, too.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Looking at the front of the fuse holder through the opening left by removing the cubby you should see three (I think) decent size silver bolts. Remove those and then undo the three black clips that hold to fuse holder in place. You won't be able to remove the fuse holder doing this but it'll let you move it out (towards you, and the back of the car) enough to remove the purple locks if that's what you want to do.

Seeing the back of the fuse holder is easier if you don't remove it at all. Although seeing the back of it isn't all that helpful for anything in my experience. If you really want to see the back of it the best way to do it is to remove the seat lay in there. You can remove the lower section of the dashboard without removing the center console. I've done it a few times. Lots of black torx screws and a couple pretty solid clips that are right by the steering column.

Last edited:

Anfas

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8L
Looking at the front of the fuse holder through the opening left by removing the cubby you should see three (I think) decent size silver bolts. Remove those and then undo the three black clips that hold to fuse holder in place. You won't be able to remove the fuse holder doing this but it'll let you move it out (towards you, and the back of the car) enough to remove the purple locks if that's what you want to do.

Seeing the back of the fuse holder is easier if you don't remove it at all. Although seeing the back of it isn't all that helpful for anything in my experience. If you really want to see the back of it the best way to do it is to remove the seat lay in there. You can remove the lower section of the dashboard without removing the center console. I've done it a few times. Lots of black torx screws and a couple pretty solid clips that are right by the steering column.
Thanks, actually I need to put wire into SC6 place and as far as I understand it has a purple lock. I'll try to move the fuse box out and reach from behind of of it.
Are there any tips on how to work with those purple locks or it will be clear for me once I'll see the back of the fuse box?

milktree

Car(s)
’15 sportwagen TDI
Thanks, actually I need to put wire into SC6 place and as far as I understand it has a purple lock. I'll try to move the fuse box out and reach from behind of of it.
Are there any tips on how to work with those purple locks or it will be clear for me once I'll see the back of the fuse box?

What's special about CS6?

Anfas

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8L
What's special about CS6?
It’s a place for fuse of inner security sensor(inner volume and jack sensor) which is located near glasses box at roof. SC6 is its place by ETKA wiring diagram. I’ve added chirp siren and now working on installation of inner sensor. Do you mean I can use other free place w/o purple lock? As I understand it should be terminal 30 switched right(battery powered)? Also I’d like to use the format of mini fuses.