GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to achieve tighter/stiffer steering?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm an old-school kind of guy, but I'm not too offended by the electric steering here. It's not bad; not hydraulic, but not bad.

I agree 100%

While the Golf steering is devoid of "feel" in the old-school sense, it's still a very good setup otherwise - very precise and well-behaved, and the progressive ratio is REALLY cool and effective. But I still like a good ole hydraulic setup, especially some of BMW's best efforts, so it's nice to have both. EPS has definitely come a LONG ways in the 10-15 years since it started to come into vogue. Early setups were absolutely dreadful - not a big deal in a Kia Sportage, but some of the crappy setups in the 3-series were absolutely loathed by customers who were spoiled by earlier generations with outstanding hydraulic racks.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Damn I stand corrected. I would've thought you can't improve steering feel. I'd love to get my steering to feel similar to the BMW E39 528i we had.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Damn I stand corrected. I would've thought you can't improve steering feel. I'd love to get my steering to feel similar to the BMW E39 528i we had.

E39's with 6-poppers had a brilliant rack & pinion setup that was among BMW's best ever. For whatever reason (packaging apparently) the V8-equipped E39's got a crappier recirculating ball setup, and it's awful - at least in comparison to the r&p setup in the "lesser" cars.