GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works.

Visceral

Ready to race!
I would like to add to the comment that many dealers are not familiar with the need to replace the differential fluid. I took my 2016 to be serviced last September and the Service Manager remarked I was only the second person who requested a fluid change. The dealer had to reschedule my appointment not once but twice because they did not have the specific fluid in stock and it was two and a half months later before it was eventually serviced. Total cost was $246.00
[/QUOTE]

I literally called my VW service (Muller VW in Highland Park, IL) yesterday and it took a solid 15 minutes of discussion with the service rep before I got them to read a service bulletin that states to change the fluid. They quoted me $180 plus the fluid, which makes me believe they don't have it and now I'm calling them to confirm they have the fluid before I go in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Newbie
Ride
2018 SE DSG
I would like to add to the comment that many dealers are not familiar with the need to replace the differential fluid. I took my 2016 to be serviced last September and the Service Manager remarked I was only the second person who requested a fluid change. The dealer had to reschedule my appointment not once but twice because they did not have the specific fluid in stock and it was two and a half months later before it was eventually serviced. Total cost was $246.00
I literally called my VW service (Muller VW in Highland Park, IL) yesterday and it took a solid 15 minutes of discussion with the service rep before I got them to read a service bulletin that states to change the fluid. They quoted me $180 plus the fluid, which makes me believe they don't have it and now I'm calling them to confirm they have the fluid before I go in.
[/QUOTE]

Get a new dealer.

golfdave

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
MK7 Golf GT Estate
So just how often should the fluid be changed? Mine has a little over 80k, and I didn't know about the VAQ needing serviced. Oops.
From the first page..

What about servicing etc. for the FDL unit?
Many VW dealers do not read the information that VAG HQ make available. This forum & others have numerous members who have gone to the dealers & asked about servicing the FDL unit, & have usually been given incorrect information or met with blank stares. Since 2013, in both the VW self study guides & official workshop repair manuals, it has clearly stated that:- “The oil should be changed every 3 years regardless of the mileage”. The total quantity of oil in the FDL unit is 570ml +/– 30ml, the “change” quantity is approximately 0.4lt.

The electric pump which pumps the oil has had numerous failures, across all VAG brands & both applications, (FDL & AWD) as it’s the same pump part. This pump made for the Gen.V Borg Warner units might have just had a bad manufacturing batch, or a more serious design issue. It appears to be costing about £350 to fix if out of warranty.