GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How the 2020 GTI Made FWD Not Suck

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
The Honda Civic Type R kinda did this 3 years ago. Thought it was a good video. Always enjoy Donut videos.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Donut is fun channel, they've got so much good content. I love Hi-Low.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Funny, the GTI I bought in 2009 had no torque steer then, and doesn't now; I imagine the mk5 cars are the same. I can romp on the pedal from a standstill in first gear without my hands on the wheel and the car will go dead straight if the pavement is level; if I make a lane change at full power, still no torque steer, the car tracks in the direction of the steering in a very smooth manner.

In fact, if you dig into Volkswagen technician training material you'll see that they programmed the power steering to tighten up under power to prevent torque steer. I've had multiple cars with hydraulic power steering with front limited slip differentials and they had significantly more torque steer than my GTI. Anybody who doesn't believe this can go for a drive in an old SRT4, Mazdaspeed3, or SE-R Spec V and enjoy how they try to break your wrists if you try to do a lane change under power, or try to dump you into the ditch when you launch them.

When the CTR was released there was all this hemming and hawing about how the fancy front steering knuckles prevented torque steer, when I bet that most of the torque steer was eliminated with the steering motor programming.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Donut is fun channel, they've got so much good content. I love Hi-Low.

Hi-Low is awesome!! Watching that makes me want a Z and Money Pit has me wanting a Miata!!

Funny, the GTI I bought in 2009 had no torque steer then, and doesn't now; I imagine the mk5 cars are the same. I can romp on the pedal from a standstill in first gear without my hands on the wheel and the car will go dead straight if the pavement is level; if I make a lane change at full power, still no torque steer, the car tracks in the direction of the steering in a very smooth manner.

In fact, if you dig into Volkswagen technician training material you'll see that they programmed the power steering to tighten up under power to prevent torque steer. I've had multiple cars with hydraulic power steering with front limited slip differentials and they had significantly more torque steer than my GTI. Anybody who doesn't believe this can go for a drive in an old SRT4, Mazdaspeed3, or SE-R Spec V and enjoy how they try to break your wrists if you try to do a lane change under power, or try to dump you into the ditch when you launch them.

When the CTR was released there was all this hemming and hawing about how the fancy front steering knuckles prevented torque steer, when I bet that most of the torque steer was eliminated with the steering motor programming.

I had a SE-R Spec-V and the torque steer was violent!!! You couldn't put down the power without it ripping your arm off. I am amazed at how I can launch and go full power with one hand on the steering wheel and the GTI has very little torque steer.

Yes I had read the GTI uses the electronic steering to help control the torque steer and the CTR does the same. One of the benefits of electronic steering.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That same guy is getting ripped in another thread for that video.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude