GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How soon should I get new pads?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
15 w/ PP with 45k mi.

I hear some light squeals when I brake at diff pressure lately (not a lot), didnt think it was pads until i pulled the front wheels this morning.
i was shocked to see only that little is left.

How much longer will it last? Why am I not getting a warning lights for pads? Are those standard on Mk7?

I am on the verge of ordering some EBC redstuffs.

Thanks

Attachments

• FrontPad1.jpg
    FrontPad1.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 459
  • FrontPad2.jpg
    FrontPad2.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 454

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Many '15s don't have the brake pad sensor so there won't be any type of warning light.

It's hard to tell how much pad life you have left from those pics, but it looks like 2-3mm. That's, in my opinion, the end of service life for daily driver pads, so I would be changing them out. I have never run red stuff but I have gone through a few sets of yellow stuff. The yellow pads were definitely hard on the rotors and wore significant circumferential groves in them every time. If your car is just a daily driver and you don't autocross or track drive it, I'd say just stick with OE pads.

Your rotors look like they are wearing ok and you can probably get some more life out of them. But I can't tell if there is a lip at the top of the rotor or if its just the angle of the picture. If there is a big lip from where the pads are wearing, you could consider replacing them too. Mine at 45k had a very noticeable lip so i replaced them on the first brake change.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, look at FCP Euro for parts. They have a great parts exchange program and you can even return worn out brake pads/rotors after you are done with them. Basically its like a lifetime pad replacement plan.

If you are on a budget, dequardo is someone selling a set of very lightly used OE pads in the classifieds section. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-like-new-vw-oem-front-pp-brake-pads.371503/

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Looking at your pictures I would be replacing them soon, like this weekend. If the rotors are still good you don't want the metal backing to get into the rotor. Agree with comment about FCPEuro, but do read the lifetime warranty statement, as you need to first purchase the new parts and then send in the old parts. I think shipping the old parts back to them is on you, but not sure.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
you need to first purchase the new parts and then send in the old parts. I think shipping the old parts back to them is on you, but not sure.
This is 100% correct. You pay shipping on replacement parts being sent back in. And the parts may need to be returned in the original box too, but since you would have had to just repurchase the same part, you should have a nice new box in your hands.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Thanks for all the comments and particularly about FCP Euro.

Yeah they definitely need to be replaced very soon.

I am debating if I am getting like a stoptech slotted rotor to go with the pads, or wait till the next time brake fluid is due

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Thanks for all the comments and particularly about FCP Euro.

Yeah they definitely need to be replaced very soon.

I am debating if I am getting like a stoptech slotted rotor to go with the pads, or wait till the next time brake fluid is due
If you are needing to replace the pads anyway I would get the rotors and do it all now. If fluid has been done every 2 years then it will not be due until 21.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I'd highly recommend a ceramic pad. The oem ones are dusty as fuck.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
I'd highly recommend a ceramic pad. The oem ones are dusty as fuck.

Agreed. I have TRW ceramic pads on the front of my car now that are $45 from fcp. They are much less dusty than the oem pads. I only use them for daily driving and use Ferodo ds2500 for track days/summer spirited driving. If you’re just daily driving the TRW pads work well.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
deciding between EBC Reds or Brembo ceramic, just using for daily and spirited driving, any recommendation/preference between the 2?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Have not used the Brembo pads, but have used the EBS pads and found them to be very good. Probably could not go really wrong with either.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have the Brembo pads on the front currently and like them. Relatively low dust. No noise.

AR11

Ready to race!
Prob good for another 100k

/s

wtf? Replace them. What discussion is there to be made of these totally spent pads?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
deciding between EBC Reds or Brembo ceramic, just using for daily and spirited driving, any recommendation/preference between the 2?

I can't speak for the Brembos, but on a previous car found the EBC reds a bit mediocre for my liking...feel a bit 'wooden' to me, especially when cold. I much prefer the yellows for the instant bite (everyone has different preferences), they work very well from cold and also when very hot. But they are very dusty (doesn't bother me).