GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How soon should I get new pads?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
hmmm interesting ... ordered the Reds due to generally best reviews out there - and longer lifespan than the yellows, OE are too expensive - i will see how this go. thanks everyone

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Finally get it installed last night. Found it confusing as one of the pads come with sensor that i dont have anywhere near my brake system that needs to be plugged into - so i just cut the wires.

I havent been able to fully tested it since I have been kinda bedding them.

But it feels a bit mushier than stock so far.... not sure if i can say i like or don't like it. Stock seems to offer better initial bite to it.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Finally get it installed last night. Found it confusing as one of the pads come with sensor that i dont have anywhere near my brake system that needs to be plugged into - so i just cut the wires.

But it feels a bit mushier than stock so far.... not sure if i can say i like or don't like it. Stock seems to offer better initial bite to it.

If you have not done so, bleed your brakes and you’ll regain a firm pedal.
In terms of compound, some compounds have a higher initial bite. Some less initial bite which can feel “mushy” as you’ve described.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Have you bedded them properly, i.e take the car out, a few light applications of the brakes to warm up the discs then a series of 10 hard applications from 60+ mph to 10mph (but not a full stop), then carry on normal driving for a bit to let them cool down? (And then repeat process as required).

As I mentioned though, even once bedded in I always found the reds to be lacking in initial bite especially when cold, it's a characteristic of the pad. Most likely you will get used to it though.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Have you bedded them properly, i.e take the car out, a few light applications of the brakes to warm up the discs then a series of 10 hard applications from 60+ mph to 10mph (but not a full stop), then carry on normal driving for a bit to let them cool down? (And then repeat process as required).

As I mentioned though, even once bedded in I always found the reds to be lacking in initial bite especially when cold, it's a characteristic of the pad. Most likely you will get used to it though.
Not yet, i just drove normal and apply light pressure and use gear braking more often, i should do the 60 to 10 next time when i get a chance.

no pulsing as the rotors are not in great shape, no strange noise either

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Not yet, i just drove normal and apply light pressure and use gear braking more often, i should do the 60 to 10 next time when i get a chance.

no pulsing as the rotors are not in great shape, no strange noise either

You will probably notice a significant improvement once bedded.

I know EBC says drive with light brakes only for the first 100 miles or whatever....but in 30 years of driving I've always bedded brakes roughly along the lines of the link below. Warm 'em up then smoke 'em...hard as you can just shy of abs kicking in and without stopping completely.

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
This is making me want to switch to centric rotors and posi-quiet pads. I'm not feeling enough bite off with the oem stuff.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
How long will the Reds last ? Daily driving...
Reason I ask is if I gonna replace rotor and pads all together next time even when pads are still good right?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
How long will the Reds last ? Daily driving...
Reason I ask is if I gonna replace rotor and pads all together next time even when pads are still good right?

Impossible to say really being as everyone drives differently. But, as a rule of thumb, i'd say you can probably expect around 40k, but check them every time you have the wheels off.

Personally, I usually end up doing two sets of pads to one set of rotors. Only way to know for sure though is to check your pads regularly and also brake disc thickness.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Part #? I can't seem to find them :s

ECS sells them as I'm sure lots of other companies do also. Got mine from ECS. I would go to the ECS site and link them for you but then you'll probably want me to install them also. ?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Can you? That'd be great. Thanks tips.

Also, brembo only makes front pads for the R

Last edited: