GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How smoky should my GTD be?

a17vts

Passed Driver's Ed
Good Afternoon All,

I've had my GTD a three weeks now and yesterday I was the first time I've actually put my foot down and it was ridiculously smoky. I then waited a while and thought it may just be the fact I've not put my foot down before but I did it for a second time and it was just as smoky.

Does this sound normal? Having never owned a diesel car I'm unsure.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

a17vts

Passed Driver's Ed
Not really. Most of my journeys have been my commute to work which is around 7 miles but all on fast flowing country roads.

Maybe I need to take it back to VW. I put my foot down today after about a 30 minutes drive which included a motorway stint sitting at the speed limits for 10 minutes and it put out loads of smoke.

I'll try and get a video of it tomorrow.

a17vts

Passed Driver's Ed
Smoke for 100%. My wife was in the car behind me and had to slow down as it was so bad. Honestly the smoke the first couple of times made it unable for me to see the car behind me in my mirror.

However I did put my foot down earlier today and steam did come out, not a single spot of smoke.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
As in black smoke? This usually indicates overfuelling on a diesel.. Get it checked out, but I have seen this on even brand new cars with no faults.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
I don't think it should be smoking at all - although Matt has seen new cars do it. Mine hasn't smoked at all yet, and I have on some weeks only driven it on short journeys (reluctantly).

wave

Ready to race!

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
7 miles isn't very far to get a diesel up to temp.

The black smoke was probably the car trying to regenerate the DPF.

If you go on longer journeys the car will get a chance to burn everything off more regularly so it won't build up. As your car is only a few weeks old it will have done a lot of shunting about in the factory, being delivered and with the dealer which won't help it.

Hopefully now it's been through a cycle you should get a while before it needs to do it again.

All this nonsense is one of the reasons I went for the GTI. That and diesel is the fuel of the devil.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
^^
What he said..

Get it checked out.. My last Audi was a smoker from time to time but seen nothing from the GTD since new to 7k on the clock now.

As above - no smoke from mine either. In fact the tail pipes stay ridiculously clean too. My previous Mk v GT Tdi and Mk iv 150 PD used to leave soot on the rear bumper!

Last edited:

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
As Talk-Torque said above, no smoke from mine and my tailpipe tips stay cleaner and shiner than my wife's Polo Blue GT which has a petrol FSI engine and blacken up quite easily.

Silvadadi

Passed Driver's Ed
Tom, did you video the prob? Has it been to the dealer yet and if so what was the prob?

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Ive noticed mine do this once when v new...probably one of the first times i gave it a bootful too.

Its not unusual to see a little smoke occasionally if the car is or had just regenned but if it does it all the time it aint right.

Perhaps just keep an eye on it....wager if its v new its a bit of a one off as mine was.