GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much knock (retard) is cause for concern?

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
I almost universally see -3 on one or all cylinders during my normal morning and afternoon commute. Sometimes I will see -4. I think once I saw -7.

When should I be concerned about the amount of knock retard showing up on my Cobb Accessport?

Does it matter when I see the KR? For example, during WOT, in higher gears, when the engine is fully warm, when it isn't, etc etc

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Has it always done this or only recently? Your oct11 datazap looks good. So either your gas station stinks or you are getting bad gas somewhere or winter gas blends have hit Georgia and it's time to retune and pull out some timing. If you can't get it clean like it was no matter what station then you know it's too hot for your winter gas.

I'm a firm believer of winter and summer tunes.

Last edited:

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yes it matters when you see knock because different things may be at play causing knock.

Is this new or been like this forever? Also, do you gas up at different stations? And lastly, have you contacted your tuner about this for his input rather than the “anyone goes” input?

But since you asked, personally I’d be concerned only about wot high rpm knock of 3+. Or constant high rpm wot knock.. I’d have that toned down unless you’re racing.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Has it always done this or only recently? Your oct11 datazap looks good. So either your gas station stinks or you are getting bad gas somewhere or winter gas blends have hit Georgia and it's time to retune and pull out some timing. If you can't get it clean like it was no matter what station then you know it's too hot for your winter gas.

I'm a firm believer of winter and summer tunes.

Did you mean oct 4th datazap maybe? Oct 4th was from a jb4 only run with no ECU tune.

Either way I don't think I've posted a log since I've had the ECU tune and sold the jb4.

I just started watching KR this week so I don't know when it started. I always get gas from the same place.

I'll try a different station next tank.

Thanks for the help

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it matters when you see knock because different things may be at play causing knock.

Is this new or been like this forever? Also, do you gas up at different stations? And lastly, have you contacted your tuner about this for his input rather than the “anyone goes” input?

But since you asked, personally I’d be concerned only about wot high rpm knock of 3+. Or constant high rpm wot knock.. I’d have that toned down unless you’re racing.

See above for answers to your first few questions.

I haven't contacted my tuner yet because I didn't know if there was anything to be concerned about. I was asking more in general but I'll reach out to them if changing gas doesn't clear things up.

I haven't logged any runs - only max/min on the Accessport gauges but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the KR during WOT.

The car seemingly runs great. Was pulling crazy hard at 50-90mph today.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed

Looks like I did post a log.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
I see knock retard of around .75-1.5 if I'm under a high load low RPM situation. I could drive around all day and not see knock under normal driving.

Yeah I think that may be the case here ... where it happens during higher load low RPM. Maybe exclusively.

I really just started paying attn to KR but I don't recall seeing it when accelerating briskly or at WOT. If I had to guess when I see it most it is when I am in "D" at around 40mph and sorta abruptly give it gas to about 30%.. the car reacts by accelerating but staying in a high(er) gear. So med boost, lower rpm, med throttle???

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah I think that may be the case here ... where it happens during higher load low RPM. Maybe exclusively.

I really just started paying attn to KR but I don't recall seeing it when accelerating briskly or at WOT. If I had to guess when I see it most it is when I am in "D" at around 40mph and sorta abruptly give it gas to about 30%.. the car reacts by accelerating but staying in a high(er) gear. So med boost, lower rpm, med throttle???

Get a proper DSG tune and when you give it 30% throttle in D the trans will kick down to a lower gear to avoid KR.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a proper DSG tune and when you give it 30% throttle in D the trans will kick down to a lower gear to avoid KR.

I wish. Cobb doesn't have the ability to tune TCU for the 2019 DSG. Yet.