GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much have you spent on your GTI and purchase do you regret the most?

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I'll jump in on the other side of the curve - I'm at about $650 in mods over the past 3-1/2 years and 22k miles since buying the car new. All but the rear sway bar have been unrelated to performance: low-profile rear headrests, intake manifold cover, D-dock and a few other little bits. Currently working on a ROW halogen tail light conversion, which represents almost half of the total.

I'm not counting maintenance (all done myself), a handful of tools (including my Obdeleven) or my winter wheel and tire setup.

Like @Supermoto, I just enjoy the way the car drives stock. Heck, I haven't even changed the stock tires - I've probably got another two or three summers on the factory Hankooks before they're worn to the point of replacement, and I honestly have zero complaints about them so far.

But I may just be kinda cheap...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
regrets: none, besides superpro endlinks. it's just not fair how moogs seem to be the only thing that doesnt make noise.

Currents mods:
1. PPF / Ceramic / Tint - $3400, not entirely sure the exact breakdown.
2. APR Plus - $1100
3. APR Pendulum Arm - $250
4. APR Steel Insert - $50
5. 034 Upper aluminum Insert - $40
6. RSE-10's w/ AS4's - $2000
7. Rokblokz mudflaps - $80
8. Helix Soundbox - $150 installed, carried over from my previous GTI
9. ECS Bleeder block - $100
10. Superpro Endlinks + Rear Sway bar - $350

Mods in boxes, not on car:
11. OEM VW cross-bars for Alltrack - $200
12. Bilstein B6 F+R - $600
13. Golf R springs, still need to source the rear estate springs - $100
14. FCP Euro suspension refresh kit (strut mounts, bearings, bump stops, spring pads, dust boots, and installation hardware) - $175
15. Moog endlinks - $80
16. Audi TT rear spring pads - $dont remember
17. EMD Rear spring spacers - $100? dont remember lol

Planned mods in the future:
18. Golf R DP, maybe full turboback ($3-400 max)
19. APR Intercooler ~$1K
20. APR Open Intake - $450
21. IS20 ~ $3-400
22. Cobb AP + EQT IS20 stock downpipe custom 93 octane tune - I imagine that’ll run me close to $1500, perhaps less
23. Front + Rear Wavetrack... front = $1000, rear = $5000
24. R Brakes - $500 or so.

^ all that equates to approximately 19K... and nothing includes labor lol. 25K car, 19K+ labor, call it 6 for an easy 50K. But when I’m done I’ll have the most badass Alltrack there is, and it’ll last me 10+ years of reliable motoring.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Currents mods:
1. PPF / Ceramic / Tint - $3400, not entirely sure the exact breakdown.
2. APR Plus - $1100
3. APR Pendulum Arm - $250
4. APR Steel Insert - $50
5. 034 Upper aluminum Insert - $40
6. RSE-10's w/ AS4's - $2000
7. Rokblokz mudflaps - $80
8. Helix Soundbox - $150 installed, carried over from my previous GTI
9. ECS Bleeder block - $100
10. Superpro Endlinks + Rear Sway bar - $350

Mods in boxes, not on car:
11. OEM VW cross-bars for Alltrack - $200
12. Bilstein B6 F+R - $600
13. Golf R springs, still need to source the rear estate springs - $100
14. FCP Euro suspension refresh kit (strut mounts, bearings, bump stops, spring pads, dust boots, and installation hardware) - $175
15. Moog endlinks - $80
16. Audi TT rear spring pads - $dont remember
17. EMD Rear spring spacers - $100? dont remember lol

Planned mods in the future:
18. Golf R DP, maybe full turboback ($3-400 max)
19. APR Intercooler ~$1K
20. APR Open Intake - $450
21. IS20 ~ $3-400
22. Cobb AP + EQT IS20 stock downpipe custom 93 octane tune - I imagine that’ll run me close to $1500, perhaps less
23. Front + Rear Wavetrack... front = $1000, rear = $5000
24. R Brakes - $500 or so.

^ all that equates to approximately 19K... and nothing includes labor lol. 25K car, 19K+ labor, call it 6 for an easy 50K. But when I’m done I’ll have the most badass Alltrack there is, and it’ll last me 10+ years of reliable motoring.
Damn. Forgot the tints and clear bra

I am now closer to 3k
Apr stage 1 and dsg
Intake
Clear bra
Tints
Cat back

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
.....I do wish I would have skipped the incremental steps and then wanting more power and just gone to where I am in 1 step. That would have saved a ton of money.
^^^This.
Me telling myself I wouldn't mod my R much when I bought it in April '19 was a pipe dream. Every VW and BMW I have owned since my first mk1 Rabbit when I was 18 yrs old has been moderately to significantly modded.
On the R I picked up a JB4 pretty much right away and added IE DP+IC & MST TIP...3 months later sold the JB4(fortunately recouped a decent portion of the $ I spent)
Moved to Cobb & EQT E40 e-tune (91 OTS tune for back-up) w/ HPFP
One year later....Vortex+Pagparts LPFP (E30, 91, E30 HPDE/track tune)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
About 5 to 6k just in parts, only labor I paid for is $100 or so for exhaust welding. Maybe more if you include tools, though I dont.

Only regret is the same as others. Unitronic tune(s). Should have gone accessport right away

Besides that, I'm satisfied. Car is paid for and is super fun. Havnt spent anything on it besides maintenance in months and months and there's nothing left to do that seems worth it. I thought about going big turbo for a while but ultimately decided to leave it alone.

After I paid it off I did start browsing golf r listings for a while. I've mostly stopped doing that too. Mostly...

Mk6gtik04

Car(s)
2012 vw gti
Custom united Motor sports Stage 3 tune running tuned on 91 oct $700.00
HPA K04 Hybrid Turbo Conversion for 2.0L TSI - with integrated diverter valve $1500.00
HPA 2.0T Cast Aluminum Intake Manifold - TSI - eliminates OEM flapper valve $949.00
Plus shipping 150.00
Tuning Gruppe install and labor for the kit is $2757.68 was done at 57k miles on 06/19/2018
Parts added BSH catch can
Fuel pressure sensor
4 new fuel injectors
Walnut shell decarb
Tuning Gruppe install and labor on new timing chain seals and hardware and valve cover gasket with
new parts and stage 2 boost controller meth kit with updated file logs $3457.27 done at 77k miles on
10/21/2019
Added Arm catless down pipe and throttle pipe they custom fabricated to fit the cobb cat back labor is
$350.00 parts was about $400.00
When I first got car it had cobb stage one power package that is a $2300.00 package
Cobb cat back system $695.00
Revo Intake 600.00
Black Forest industries Stage 1 motor mount and transmission mount
Black Forest industries Heavy shift knob
BSH dogbone mount insert
034 motor sports upgraded Pendlum mount
Unitronic Intercooler 700.00
Neuspeed short shifter and 034 billet bushings
R8 coil packs with NGK plugs done at 82K
CTS Turbo outlet pipe
Enkei 17 inch rims $740.00 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 all season tires 255/40 R/17 94Y $800.00 with
less than 7K miles I had to have front fenders rolled to fit much wider tires.
Stoptech brake pads and cross drilled Rotors
Custom hood vinyl wrap, matte black
Upgraded headlight LED bulbs , low beam and blue LED high beam bulbs tail lights replaced upgraded to LED
All interior lights have been upgraded to LED
Limo black tint all the way around
ECS Tuning Boost tap with EVO boost gauge
HS Tuning RSR Clutch stage 3 1200.00
VWR lowering springs and new shocks front and rear parts labor $1400.00
Carbon Fiber battery box
Rockford 12 inch 1200 watt sub/amp
Has a rear diffuser $250.00

SO add that up and Car has Over $15,648.95 in added go fast parts and some more with labor and maintenance.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've had my 2018 just over 2 years and where I'm at NOW took me 4 years to get to in other cars, so I don't even want to know.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Year in April. Sub $2k.
Mistake going JB1-JB4 and NOT waiting to tune with AP I have now.
Looking forward to putting JB4 on wife’s new Tiggy once we get it. Damn thing will fly I bet

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I don't think you're an idiot. You deserve to have your car the way you want it.
I agree - that's the beauty with cars like these, we get the opportunity to make them just right for us, whatever that may be. Gives you another passion in life, and something else to take care of. We also learn a few things here and there in the process.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Actually the tune has been running great, I just don't like the power. I've driven cars with more power than this but they were built around that power, whereas the GTI with a stage 2 tune brings out all the shortfalls of the car that need to be upgraded; engine mounts, intercooler, trans tune, etc etc. It was great stock and that's where I'm gonna leave it.

Ps: I know pretty much everyone thinks I'm an idiot for feeling this way, but that's just how it is.
Agreed. For every mod you do, there seems to be something else you have to do.

I mostly like all the mods done* but considering the cost (which is a shitload), I don't drive the car hard often enough to have been worth the $$$.
Of course, I expect to be spending a shitload more. There's no turning back now. :)

* Not a fan of the tractor idle or harsh low RPM chatter of the SMF, combined with stiffer mounts. No vibrations, but the sound is grating.
I swapped the mounts before the clutch install and it sounded very tame and liveable on the harshness level.