GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much have you spent on your GTI and purchase do you regret the most?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'll start - not much compared to most - most likely around $6K CAD including labour. I regret pulling the trigger on the Uni tune.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
About $8800 USD for accessories.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I bought it because it was the most conservative tune and hoped that the stock clutch would hold. It would also cut out power on me around 4K RPM in second primarily, I’m not sure if this was traction control related or not, I coded the ECT to sport in VCDS around the same time the clutch started to slip. I bought and installed a stage 3 clutch. Since I got that done, there is really no need to be conservative anymore. From the research Ive done it seems that EQT is the route to go. But, being already $800 or something into the tune, and only needing $150 to upgrade to stage 2 with uni vs $1000+ CAD to go EQT, it made sense to stick to uni and focus on other things for now. The clutch is not broken in yet, so haven’t had the opportunity to see what the stage 2 tune is truly like.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I'm around $2700 on parts/tint and probably another $200-300 on tools that I was missing/needed for my first VAG car. That's over about 4 months.

The to-do list is another $8000 or so. Trying to prioritize but I'm hoping I'm "done" by the fall.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Oh somewhere around 8k probably. Dont regret any of it really

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I have spent just shy of $4k after 4 months of ownership. I have listened to some of the wise advice from folks like GTI Jake and others regarding what mods to do and not do (from a performance stand-point). So, nothing is on the regret list. Honestly, I think I'm nearly done (I know, famous last words). Ok, maybe a BFI stage 1 dogbone insert, 25 mm RSB and a Sachs SRE clutch when the stock one burns up. But, I sure like keeping her looking and sounding like stock. Here's my list in order of modification:

1. Window tint
2. RS7 spark plugs
3. Cobb AccessPort w/ EQT Stage 1 tune
4. VMR V810 18"x 8.5" wheels
5. Michelin PS4S tires, 235/40R18
6. Unitronic stock location intercooler

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
About 9k over 3 years and that includes a $1200 Unitronic mistake 🙄. Oh well, live and learn. My only regret so far.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Pushing $11K over six years. IMO, all excellent modifications. All labor done by myself. Still have not installed the bottom shielding from skid plate back, but I think it is a worthwhile modification. The $1,100 stereo upgrade was a bit over the top as the Fender system was decent, would of definitely done the car quieting (insulation) and subwoofer upgrade.

$ 700.00ECU Tune
$ 330.00DSG Tune
$ 700.00downpipe
$ 252.00Intercooler
$ 288.00Engine Mounts, 034 engine & tran mounts and dogbone
$ 285.00VWR Sport Springs
$ 562.00Koni Sport Struts
$ 1,300.00Lighting Package with AFS Retrofit
$ 130.00LP Grille
$ 600.00Tail Lights
$ 900.00Wheels
$ 850.00Tires
$ 610.00PP Brake Front only
$ 325.00PP Rear Brakes
$ 120.00Auto Dimming Mirror
$ 950.00MIB2 - 6.5" Screen Upgrade
$ 80.00Headrest Rear
$ 162.00Skid Plate
$ 126.00Bottom Shielding
$ 1,162.00Stereo Upgrade: Insulation (quieting) Subwoofer, Focal Speakers, Amplifier, DSP
$ 200.00Auto Climatronic
$ 10,632.00Total

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't even want to know. Just looking in the last two months, $1,300 on stuff for the interior in December, $700 on new rims last week, and $1,450 on a wrap going on on March 1st...

If I had to guess, probably another whole GTI in the last two years.

Do I regret any of it? Not really. The good thing here is this platform is so popular, nearly everything has resale value. For example, had a JB4 at first (bought used), and when I moved to an Accessport, I resold the JB4 for most of the cost.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know how much I've spent either and don't want to know. I do wish I would have skipped the incremental steps and then wanting more power and just gone to where I am in 1 step. That would have saved a ton of money.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yikes... I don't want to know but probably around $10k over 5 years. Could have been closer to $7k had I not spent some money on things that were half-way to what I really wanted and then later decided to buy anyway. Would be closer to $12k had I not been able to sell some of those same things.

The only thing I regret is the RGM Sill guards... not because they aren't great but they're really hard (imo) to get installed perfectly and over time they've scuffed up the paint on the bottom of my doors. I can't get the things off either, haha. And I guess I regret going through 8+ suspension setup variations before finally deciding to retrofit DCC... slowly accepted that I'm old and can't ride on sport suspension daily.