GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How Much Does an Upgraded Front Sway Bar Help with Track Feel (Already Have RSB)?

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I'm about to drop my subframe to install LCAs and deadset kit and figured this would be the best time to install a front sway bar. Thoughts on how useful an upgraded FSB? Right now I've got a 034 RSB on the stiff setting.

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
IMO, running a stiffer FSB is very usefully in these cars and will help you avoid having to run lots of static negative camber up front by reducing camber gain under hard cornering. It will also add some roll resistance up front which can be a good thing if you track the car and want more stability and less rotation in fast corners.

For street and autox use, most people run just the stiff rear bar or front on soft setting and rear on stiff (if you're running adjustable ARBs) since cornering speeds are relatively slower and having a loose rear end and more rotation are generally helpful.

Last edited:

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I've got a '19 Golf Sportwagen 4motion, I recently did the same thing as you, was dropping subframe for SuperPro LCA's, deadset kit and installed a front 034 swaybar. I've been running it on the soft setting, and was definitely a noticeable difference and reduction of body roll. I also have Bilstein B16's and recently stiffened up the front dampers to 8 clicks from full soft, which also helped with front end grip.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
definitely want to run both if you are using the car on track

stiffness depends on driver/setup, etc, but definitely want a FSB if you're running a RSB

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Sounds good, this is a dual duty car with a lot of track time this year and in the future so FSB it is. Dropped subframe with deadset, FSB and LCAs should be fun in the garage and then coilovers after that.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I have 034 front and rear sway bars, both on the stiffest setting. Love it.
Less body roll on track than with just the rear bar.
I don't feel that the car understeers any more than it did before adding the front bar.

A side benefit; it's easier to jack one point on one side of the car to change front and rear tires.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If you're dropping the subframe bad replacing LCAs, it's way easier to do the coilovers at the same time. You're more than halfway there. There's a TON of TTY hardware, make sure you have all you need.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
If you're replacing coilovers, the brake mounting screws are reusable! Hallelujah! (And some ride height sensor screws)

I took my car into the dealer to replace the RMS. I don't know why I ASSumed that the dealership would be following the factory replacement specs, and replacing all the TTY hardware with the work. They didn't. They only replaced the flywheel bolts, and everything else was reused. Granted I had just literally replaced everything a month before, but they said they never do as the common person typically complains about it. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why the hardware is TTY. But I ended up buying everything again, and replacing the hardware that I could reach just to feel better. But for instance the three ball joint nuts? Really?

I did the FSB, along with bushings, and new coilovers. I was shocked at how different my car handled at my first autox event this year. The car handled so much differently. Granted I did a lot of other work, but I am very happy with how the FSB plays it's role in everything I did.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I have a buddy/coworker who rode in my car, which has front and rear bars, and he was trying to figure out why it was so neutral. He worked down at a motorsport facility in cali, setting up actual racecars. So evidently it's not just me feeling like it has better turn in and stays flat in corners.

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
I was on H&R sport springs paired with Bilstein shocks and a rear 24mm sway. Over the winter I changed it all. Installed lower control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, ST XTA coilovers, 28mm front bar set on soft and 26mm rear bar. First Autox is two weekends from now and that will give me more input then I get street driving. The coiloves allowed a lot more camber, -3.3 The previous set up I attempted ground control tops and could only get -2.7 before the endling connection point started to hammer the inside wheel well.

One thing I noticed about the stiff front sway. You will need to adjust dampening a bit higher to compensate for the extra "load" the front bar puts on the set up. ST XTA starts at 9/16 and it had a little "bouncy" to it. At 13/16 it feels appropriate. The front sway defiantly made the car stiffer laterally and I have more control of the understeer with the throttle now. Reminds me of a rear wheel drive car and being able to steer with the throttle, only now it's the front end losing grip or regaining it. Taking a 90 degree turn through a bumpy intersection you can defiantly tell it starts to skip over more then it did previously. So in some conditions on the street I'm losing some grip, on smooth turns it feels very planted. I would defiantly recommend it, but what size bar will depend on what your doing with the car. Supper firm probably not the best for really rough roads if it's just a daily driver. 26mm for a sporty daily would be my suggestion. If your tracking get the 28mm bars that can be adjusted.

Defiantly do the deadest kit. Your alignment will be all wacko and harder to get ideal without it.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
I have been wondering the same thing, but I've heard many say that it is unnecessary. I am building by the year and will be looking at this closer in the future, so I'm interested in everything having to do with this thread. woopwoop.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I have been wondering the same thing, but I've heard many say that it is unnecessary. I am building by the year and will be looking at this closer in the future, so I'm interested in everything having to do with this thread. woopwoop.
Dont listen to anyone saying it's unnecessary. It makes a world of difference. Go kart handling

deleteaccount

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Sport
Autocross was a blast! Never experienced this car with so much oversteer. On the slow stuff it's awesome but at faster speeds it's difficult to control and can be twitchy. Rear feels good although slightly too loose. My adjustment will be setting the front sway to the firmest setting to help the rear stick more by inducing slightly more understeer. I did two fairly fast 180's and left some impressive spin marks :)

I believe you should be getting a front and rear bar combo on this platform. I would defiantly go with adjustable sway bars so you can use them to help tune the balance. It's too difficult to say how much sway your car actually needs out the gate and takes some testing with your set up.