GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How Mnay People Bought CARNOT?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you have a serious disease and drive alone, it might not be worth it. I don't have a condition like that, but you can have a stroke or seizure no matter old you are. It was not comforting finding out the way they operate. If you press the SOS button but pass out before they answer they won't send help because they can't verify the call. The only exception I know of is if you crash the car and it sends an automatic signal. But I don't know if an airbag needs to deploy to do that. I also don't know if they send help if you are stopped in the middle of a road when you pass out. Too may ifs for me. I need to check with nearby county 911 dispatch people to see if they can triangulate or otherwise pinpoint my location if I call them. It seems you're better off not pulling off the highway if you don't feel well so someone will see if you're having a problem. Hopefully they wont jack you.

cb1111

was this part of your absence?
The subject line is telling " How Mnay People Bought CARNOT?"

Most 911 systems cannot determine your location. At best, they can find your cell tower - hence the need to enter your E-911 home information because we aren't much farther than that.

Here is the actual state of the industry.

If someone has a medical issue right now, then they would be best served with one of those medical alert systems.

The car based SOS systems will only send out emergency services following a crash based on certain criteria - all will do it after an airbag activation (some regardless of if you answer) and some will notify if they have advanced features (rollover etc.)

Another problem with all of the car based (and cell phone systems) is that they require you to reach up (roof console) or over (wherever your phone happens to be). If I was in the middle of a heart attack, I doubt that I'd be able to find and reach either the button on the car or find my cell phone and figure out how to call 911.

I hate that "I've fallen and I can't get up" ad, but the systems do work far more reliably than the current state of 911.

Fed - how are you doing? Did I miss a "Hey, I'm back" post?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Was "CARNOT" a Freudian slip or intentional?

I think the biggest issue with all similar systems is the cost. I've never looked, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't a Bluetooth peripheral and phone app with similar functionality to a life alert system.

Glad to see you back Fed!

cb1111

Was "CARNOT" a Freudian slip or intentional?

I think the biggest issue with all similar systems is the cost. I've never looked, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't a Bluetooth peripheral and phone app with similar functionality to a life alert system.

Glad to see you back Fed!
No real way to do that.The way that the life alert companies do it by having their own call centers to locate the device and call for help. There's no easy generic way to find the GPS location of a cell phone. Each of the phone providers can do that with their tracking apps, but there is no universal solution. E911 is heading in that direction but it isn't viable yet.

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I had my old car broken into because of car-net. I remote locked my car after leaving it with valet at a hotel it it was parked in a 3rd party high volume garage in Manhattan somewhere. I had just gotten the car-net subscription so it was a fun toy to lock my car whenever I saw it unlocked. I guess they left the keys inside the car with windows up and the car-net remote lock bypasses the smart key. Instead of calling the hotel or contacting me, the parking garage crow-barred into the front passanger door. The valet company just dropped off my car in front of the hotel when I checked out without saying anything.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had my old car broken into because of car-net. I remote locked my car after leaving it with valet at a hotel it it was parked in a 3rd party high volume garage in Manhattan somewhere. I had just gotten the car-net subscription so it was a fun toy to lock my car whenever I saw it unlocked. I guess they left the keys inside the car with windows up and the car-net remote lock bypasses the smart key. Instead of calling the hotel or contacting me, the parking garage crow-barred into the front passanger door. The valet company just dropped off my car in front of the hotel when I checked out without saying anything.
I would

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks to everyone who missed me. Part of my absence was because I was partially locked out even though one of mods could not find anything wrong. They finally fixed it. I suspect it was during the transition to the new platform. During that time I also had some nerve pain, so I didn't bother checking the email they have on file to see it was fixed. I'm back but sometimes my schedule doesn't permit me to be on as much as I'd like. And it seems there isn't as much activity. Plus I've fallen behind on some issues.

My car is nearing 4 years old. I bought the (at the time) VW endorsed "extended warranty" for 7 years, so I'm good for 3 more years. Just in time for the second year for the MK8 R. :)

It wasn't a Freudian slip.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

You're kidding right? They damage your car and you don't say anything?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No real way to do that.The way that the life alert companies do it by having their own call centers to locate the device and call for help. There's no easy generic way to find the GPS location of a cell phone. Each of the phone providers can do that with their tracking apps, but there is no universal solution. E911 is heading in that direction but it isn't viable yet.

Car-Net is a ripoff. People that want the emergency location would be better off getting one of those "help I've fallen and can't get up" devices. About as effective.

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Haha, oh! Yes the parking company took the fault and paid for the repairs. This was few years ago. My work puts me up at Hotel Belleclaire on upper west side of Manhattan when I have to work in city. The company that they contract for their valet is SP+ parking. But yeah it was pretty shocking they dropped off my Jetta in front of the hotel and took off, haha.