GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many unscheduled repairs during your first 100k?

How reliable has your Mk7 been over the first 100k?

• Totally bulletproof

• A few issues, nothing to complain about

• Meh, it's fine

• We've had issues

• Utter disaster

Results are only viewable after voting.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
And it only took 67,000 miles. That sucks.

yeah ive smelled coolant since i first bought it, i took it in like every six months to get checked and they never found anything, said smelling coolant was normal lol, the car seems to have issues early on, thats why ive been thinking about a new one although mines almost paid off

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yeah ive smelled coolant since i first bought it, i took it in like every six months to get checked and they never found anything, said smelling coolant was normal lol, the car seems to have issues early on, thats why ive been thinking about a new one although mines almost paid off

Telling you that it's normal to smell coolant is pitiful. So much for German engineering.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ok. Jinxed myself with previous post in this thread

Went to go get a replacement thermostat for my house as the old one stopped working.

If I was reading a novel, I would have said this was foreshadowing.

So next stop was to drop off car to get is38, dp and intercooler installed.

Get the call 30 minutes later, your thermostat housing is leaking coolant. 😩 and cv is leaking.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Had to look this up. Go urban dictionary.

And I had read so much about it happening, had already made peace with it and was just waiting for the when, not if.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Had to look this up. Go urban dictionary.

And I had read so much about it happening, had already made peace with it and we just waiting for the when, not if.

Cool. Save me the hassle and tell me what it meant please.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Ok, thanks for sharing all. To me, this kind of crowdsourced data is about as good of a take as you're going to get in terms of reliability, etc.

In many ways, this thread may just be an informal version of the Consumer Reports reliability surveys.

Anyone surprised by the poll results?

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
So I haven't had to do anything to the engine, namely thermostat and water pump.

Does that mean I might be lucky, or just living on borrowed time?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
2016, 53k miles and heavily modified with no issues. Knocking on wood...

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
So I haven't had to do anything to the engine, namely thermostat and water pump.

Does that mean I might be lucky, or just living on borrowed time?

The issue isnt so common that it happens to the majority of people so you may be fine. Its just more common of an issue that I think it should be looked into by VW and a revised part released.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
just reaching 6,800 miles and I need a new turbo... However, do not let this sway your opinion as it is certainly a defect from the factory.

amsr

Ready to race!
Is the GTI/R less reliable than other MQB cars? I have friends that have Beetles and Golf/GSW and they don’t seems to have as many of the same issues? The A3 rated as pretty reliable on CR surveys at one point. Maybe it’s just inconsistent?

Last edited: