GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many times has someone opened their car door into your car?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
On my last GTI, within one week, I got three separate door dings. Not one single note was left and I'm pretty sure most of them happened while I was at work. We have an employee lot monitored by cameras and I asked one of the guys to check the cameras and he informed me that they're such bad quality you can't see anything. Nice.

Ever since then, I started parking at the very end of the lot by myself and away from everyone else. When a girl I work with asked why I do that and I explained, she laughed it off like "it's just a little ding". I tried explaining that the little ding could cost several hundred dollars to repair if it removed paint and they have to paint and blend the doors. She kept laughing and said that was ridiculous. I said something along the lines of "no one ever leaves notes either" and her response was "that's because it's just a little ding" and "I'm going to start parking right next to you to annoy you".

Why does it bother people or why do people care if I want to park at the end of the lot by myself? I swear half the time I do that someone goes out of their way to park right next to me because they think it's funny or something..

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
That's nuts.

Looking back, I've parked next to the person at the end of the lot before, but only because I knew they take care of their stuff, I treated mine the same, and leaving a space would put me in a weird place to get hit.

Tim2K20GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Unfortunately not everyone cares as much about their car as we do. To them, it's just transportation to get them from point a to point b. They also don't care about other people's property, which is why the door dings happen.

I'm very careful about where I park in any parking lot. I'll gladly walk much farther just to reduce the chance of door dings.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
She kept laughing and said that was ridiculous. I said something along the lines of "no one ever leaves notes either" and her response was "that's because it's just a little ding" and "I'm going to start parking right next to you to annoy you".

Camera pointing to sides. Send her repair bill with next ding.

She either has mental issues or is trying to tell you something else ;)

Or get your money's worth another way 😂

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Years ago I was sitting in my mk4 waiting for class to start. This kid that spent all his time interrupting the class parks next to me in his old ass truck and just swings his door the fuck open right into my fender. He gets out, see's me in my car, looks at my fender, gives it a quick wipe, and says "it's fine" and walks away.

I'm pretty anal about who I park next to and where I park. At work people generally end up in the same spots all the time. I usually park next to a mechanics truck because he parks closer to the right side of the parking spot, so when I back into the left of him we both have plenty of room to swing our doors open. Sometimes our accountant will park in my spot though and she has a habit of hugging the left side of the parking spot. When she does that I have to put a parking spot between us, I refuse to park next to her because of how she parks.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Place I used to work had employee lot with very narrow spaces. I had a new car that got dinged within about a month. Then I had a big ass truck and one day I almost couldn't get in to leave because the person parked so close to me.

Funniest thing that ever happened was a guy goes out and there's damage to his Camry. Nobody had said anything but they found out who did it. This girl had just got a scooter to ride around town. She was leaving and I guess the whiskey throttle got her and she plowed into this dudes car lmao

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
3 last new cars I've had, all have had door dings within the first month. 2 have been hit in a parking lot within the first 2 weeks!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have 2 door dings. Both happened in my garage. Both from my kids swinging my wife's car door open with all their strength.

Don't get any anywhere else because I park in bfe.

Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
None. I learned long ago that door dings are too easy to get, look terrible, and are expensive/impractical to fix. I park as far away from people as I can.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
None with my GTI because I don't park near anyone. If it was in a place where I don't have a choice I'll just find a corner spot and take up 2 spaces and let people be pissed at me.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's happened a few times. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on some color matched door molding - The thin strip that sits centerish with the door and is elevated higher to protect from door dings. Found it on the local facebook marketplace for Mk7s, pictures don't look too horrible.

I agree though, most people don't care these days about their car or yours. Plus most of the time its minimal damage to their car and a ding, scrape, chip on yours - they may get a small ding or scratch along the door edge.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Never. Luckily.

I'm the kind of person that never parks in a spot if cars are on both sides of it. I also do the park and walk since 99.99% of people are too lazy to park in the back 3rd of the parking lot at the supermarket.

I simply won't take the car anyplace where the parking is a sardine can.

Simple strategy: a car always has a driver so if you have to park next to someone choose the passenger side since they(the passenger)won't always be there.