GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many people run an aftermarket downpipe in CA?

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
It would actually be 2023 for a 2015 car as we now have 8 years for smog. It’s really the only reason I went stage 2, as I plan on moving up the VAG chain 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m also curious with guys doing turbo swaps and emissions testing for CA too tho. Still gonna be some time until we find out. I’ve been eye an is38 upgrade for a few months now.

I thought no smog was good for 6 years not 8 years

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
I thought no smog was good for 6 years not 8 years

They changed the law and it became effective in 2019. Any car 4 model years or less from that year, is exempt from smogs for 8 years. Next car registration renewal, you’ll see “smog abatement fee” and that’s what it’s for.

maxchen6695

Since smog requires a visual check, does that mean any non-OEM downpipes won't pass? And flashing back to stock + reinstalling stock downpipe is the only option? I was under the impression maybe a higher-cell count, like a GESI cat, would help pass emissions. I'd like to go EQT stage 2 in the future but don't want the hassle of installing/uninstalling a downpipe every 2 years when the time comes to smog.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If your tune doesn't mess with emissions readiness and the pipe doesn't throw a CEL you can roll the dice. Though unless your AWD, swapping a DP isn't too bad. They are supposed to check for CARB numbers, doesn't mean they'll do much more than glance to see if you have a CAI or something obvious. Most Stage 1 tunes don't mess with readiness from my understanding, past that you'd need to speak with the specific tuner.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
If your readiness monitors set...and the smog guy doesn't pop your hood...you can technically pass. I have a Wagner downpipe on a 2017 GTI. I ran a downpipe with a NPM...now a JB4. No CEL...after installing a front mount intercooler...now I get the P0420. Going to get an o2 spacer installed to see if it gets rid of it.

maxchen6695

If your tune doesn't mess with emissions readiness and the pipe doesn't throw a CEL you can roll the dice. Though unless your AWD, swapping a DP isn't too bad. They are supposed to check for CARB numbers, doesn't mean they'll do much more than glance to see if you have a CAI or something obvious. Most Stage 1 tunes don't mess with readiness from my understanding, past that you'd need to speak with the specific tuner.

Sweet good to know! Mine is AWD and hear is a bit of a pain to remove/install. I think I read EQT doesn't touch readiness monitors for Stage 2, just hides(...?) CELs.

If your readiness monitors set...and the smog guy doesn't pop your hood...you can technically pass. I have a Wagner downpipe on a 2017 GTI. I ran a downpipe with a NPM...now a JB4. No CEL...after installing a front mount intercooler...now I get the P0420. Going to get an o2 spacer installed to see if it gets rid of it.
Good to know! Guess I'd have to find the right guy then.