GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long will a clutch last after it starts slipping?

brokeitagain

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
Stock 2017 gti sport, 40k mi, 2nd owner. Clutch started slipping under high boost in 2 days ago. Currently in Los Angeles, and had been planning to drive home to the Midwest in about a week. What are the chances of the clutch making it that far if I take it easy? Hoping to replace it with something stage 2, but I'm skeptical about finding a place here to replace it that quickly.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I drove for a few months with a slipping clutch on my mk6.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Stock 2017 gti sport, 40k mi, 2nd owner. Clutch started slipping under high boost in 2 days ago. Currently in Los Angeles, and had been planning to drive home to the Midwest in about a week. What are the chances of the clutch making it that far if I take it easy? Hoping to replace it with something stage 2, but I'm skeptical about finding a place here to replace it that quickly.
If you take it easy it should make it. Of course I don't know how bad it was slipping or if it seems to be okay when taking it easy. Can you smell the clutch burning when taking it easy?

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
oem clutch slipping under high boost? ya dont say. =P

anyways, if you absolutely have to drive it before you can get it replaced, do you have the option to return the tune to stock, and drive it as intended? it was only a matter of time before that clutch gave up once being pushed. taking a questionable drive train that far would worry me, but if you baby it you may not have an issue. best of luck.

brokeitagain

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
If you take it easy it should make it. Of course I don't know how bad it was slipping or if it seems to be okay when taking it easy. Can you smell the clutch burning when taking it easy?
No, only when I'm pushing it. If I drive like a normal person it's been fine.

oem clutch slipping under high boost? ya dont say. =P

anyways, if you absolutely have to drive it before you can get it replaced, do you have the option to return the tune to stock, and drive it as intended? it was only a matter of time before that clutch gave up once being pushed. taking a questionable drive train that far would worry me, but if you baby it you may not have an issue. best of luck.
Just clarifying, I'm completely stock except for a short shifter. No tune yet.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
No, only when I'm pushing it. If I drive like a normal person it's been fine.

Just clarifying, I'm completely stock except for a short shifter. No tune yet.
ahh, i miss interpreted that. i assumed you meant high boost, as in a different tune, with any turbo charged vehicle and a 5/6 speed, make sure you are in the appropriate gear for the situation, it does not like being lugged and making boost in the higher gears when not at speed. this is a judgement call only you can make. if you think it will make it, you are the one driving. good luck sir. but, if its slipping now on stock boost. its only a matter of time before it leaves you stranded.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, like others said, it should make it without a problem... take it easy.. downshift in the inclines/passing, especially if you are going to be loaded for the trip...
I drove my Mk5 that was tuned for months with a slipping clutch... It actually started to slip after a long trip taking a lot of weight lol

Also watch out in the midwest during the cold mornings, the clutch is going to be even worse until it warms up..... I lived in the NE when I had my Mk5....

brokeitagain

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
Yeah, like others said, it should make it without a problem... take it easy.. downshift in the inclines/passing, especially if you are going to be loaded for the trip...
I drove my Mk5 that was tuned for months with a slipping clutch... It actually started to slip after a long trip taking a lot of weight lol

Also watch out in the midwest during the cold mornings, the clutch is going to be even worse until it warms up..... I lived in the NE when I had my Mk5....
Will do. Interestingly, no slippage since posting this, even trying to get it to slip intentionally. Not sure why it would be intermittent, but I'm not complaining