GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long has your performance clutch like sachs lasted?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
South Bend Stage 3 daily, had 20k miles on it and was at 50% wear when I pulled it for a rebuild while replacing the RMS.

I autox, launches probably aren’t great for the daily.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
40k km on a SB3 daily, no issues. Running a hybrid turbo, around 400 lbft for the past 15k. No launches. Only highway pulls.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
This is correct. You don't need to double clutch, we have synchros
If you don't want to wear your synchros, you do need to rev-match.

Also, sorry if this got covered (multitasking here but I saw it in passing) - rev-matching with clutch in = single-clutch, rev-matching with clutch out in N is double-clutch, the latter is better because everything is brought to the same speed not just the flywheel side. I d-c downshift but s-c upshift because with upshift it's annoying extra work to go that fast with the thump-thump with the clutch so it's a compromise basically.

Edit: Also, riding with someone with a stick who can't do this stuff if you can is HIGHLY ANNOYING.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Unless I'm on a fun back road or in the canyons I rarely downshift except 6 > 5 to pass on the highway. Brake pads are cheaper than anything transmission related.

If I know I'm coming to a complete stop I engine brake down to 1k then disengage the clutch (just like Eco Tips suggests 🤣). But seriously, I can't stand when I'm riding with someone and they down shift 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > N (they better not downshift into 1st 😵‍💫), rev matching or not, let's be civilized. All that shifting is unnecessary, haha.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
If you don't want to wear your synchros, you do need to rev-match.

Also, sorry if this got covered (multitasking here but I saw it in passing) - rev-matching with clutch in = single-clutch, rev-matching with clutch out in N is double-clutch, the latter is better because everything is brought to the same speed not just the flywheel side. I d-c downshift but s-c upshift because with upshift it's annoying extra work to go that fast with the thump-thump with the clutch so it's a compromise basically.

Edit: Also, riding with someone with a stick who can't do this stuff if you can is HIGHLY ANNOYING.
Lol double clutching and rev matching aren't the same thing. I said above you absolutely need to rev match.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Unless I'm on a fun back road or in the canyons I rarely downshift except 6 > 5 to pass on the highway. Brake pads are cheaper than anything transmission related.

If I know I'm coming to a complete stop I engine brake down to 1k then disengage the clutch (just like Eco Tips suggests 🤣). But seriously, I can't stand when I'm riding with someone and they down shift 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > N (they better not downshift into 1st 😵‍💫), rev matching or not, let's be civilized. All that shifting is unnecessary, haha.
You'd hate driving with me haha. I also rarely shift to 5th unless I'm going fast.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Lol double clutching and rev matching aren't the same thing. I said above you absolutely need to rev match.

Where does granny shifting fit in?

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
Any large throttle openings in 4th, 5th, or 6th under 3,000 rpm are the real clutch killers on our cars. Killed my OEM clutch by being lazy. Example; passing while entering the freeway at 50-60 mph. With all the torque resulting from the tune, it’s too easy to just put your foot down, especially when cool weather in the fall results in even more torque. If you like to downshift more, then the original clutch might survive or try the low torque tune.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Any large throttle openings in 4th, 5th, or 6th under 3,000 rpm are the real clutch killers on our cars. Killed my OEM clutch by being lazy. Example; passing while entering the freeway at 50-60 mph. With all the torque resulting from the tune, it’s too easy to just put your foot down, especially when cool weather in the fall results in even more torque. If you like to downshift more, then the original clutch might survive or try the low torque tune.

This.

I came from a Mazdaspeed3 and the engine internals on the DISI were not as robust as the EA888 in our cars, WOT in 4-6th under 3krpm was considered a recipe for disaster on a tuned DISI so I developed these driving habits very early on. Cut to...

I've been stage 2 tuned on my MK7.5 for 20k miles and have had zero issues with the stock clutch. I attribute at least some of that to how I trained myself to drive stick many years ago. YMMV but a lot of it depends on how you drive. Be nice to it and it will be nice back.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I upgraded to a RSR clutch by HS Tuning about 15,000 miles after tuning to APR Stage 1. Total mileage on the car was 34k at the time. My factory clutch slipped only under certain conditions in the cold, but I upgraded early anyway. The RSR clutch is said to hold 380 lb-ft. I went to APR Stage 2 later the same year (2018). I upgraded to an IS38 and appropriate APR tune at 128,000 miles in July 2021. I'm right at the limit of the clutch. It slips just a hair at lower RPMs in cool weather... and I mean a hair. I was going to switch to a Stage 2 Endurance by SBC, but the RSR clutch holds fine 99% of the time. The car has 172,000 miles now. I'll consider another clutch upgrade if the slipping gets worse.

I don't track or race the car, but it does have over 30,000 miles of trailer towing under its serpentine belt:

I'd say having 138,000 miles on a clutch upgrade says a few things to their potential for longevity! :cool:
Lol it's funny you use your tuned sportscar to completely takeaway what the car has to offer. I'm assuming you're someone who likes to be "different" and tell people that your golf is a versatile car because you thought that towing the cutest little trailer around makes sense.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Lol it's funny you use your tuned sportscar to completely takeaway what the car has to offer. I'm assuming you're someone who likes to be "different" and tell people that your golf is a versatile car because you thought that towing the cutest little trailer around makes sense.
Is a GTI a sports car? Or a sport-y car? 🤔

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
The most accurate post I've ever seen regarding tunes and stock clutch. The torque makes it so easy but it will eat away at your clutch.

I have 160,000km on my 15 gti with stock clutch and stage 2 93 uni tune for 80,000 of that. It's only now starting to slip in low rpm 5th and 6th gear. That's after the clutch is hot and have been driving for 45 min+.

Stock clutch still holds just fine overall. Just have to know how to drive a car.. takes experience to know how to make things last