GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How does your MK7 compare?

Bikebits

Ready to race!
Only a month into ownership, I've come to the conclusion that the MK7 GSW is the favourite of all the cars I've owned. It is quiet, comfortable, versatile, handles well and is very responsive given the outstanding fuel efficiency. I particularly like the huge list of small detail features and intuitive nature of the controls. The Ford Escape (below) was terrible in that regard.

In addition to 20+ motorcycles, the list of four wheelers I've owned over the years is 1952 Ford F1 pickup (bought in 1977), 1964 Chevy Corvair (1980) 1982 Dodge Aries, 1988 Jeep YJ, 1996 Dodge Ram van, 1993 Subaru Impreza wagon, 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo, and a 2011 Ford Escape inherited from my wife.

Of that list the Fiat was pure fun but the Legacy was the best long-term daily driver. The Legacy was incredible in deep snow, even with all season tires, but I expect to make up for that with dedicated winter tires in the VW.

I'm looking forward to a long relationship with the GSW.

o-iii1

Ready to race!
Welcome! I just switched from a 2015 GTI to a 2015 Golf TDI and couldn't be happier. It's smooth, luxurious, and almost as peppy as the GTI while saving me a ton in fuel costs.

ZrC

Ready to race!
Welcome! I just switched from a 2015 GTI to a 2015 Golf TDI and couldn't be happier. It's smooth, luxurious, and almost as peppy as the GTI while saving me a ton in fuel costs.

And I thought I was crazy for considering this. The GTI is fun, but I rarely have fun in the car and regret not getting a TDI. Maybe I'm getting old.

o-iii1

Ready to race!
And I thought I was crazy for considering this. The GTI is fun, but I rarely have fun in the car and regret not getting a TDI. Maybe I'm getting old.

I switched for two reasons: my son has a 2015 TDI and I was getting tired of hearing about how his fuel economy was 50% better than mine :D; but more importantly the GTI was a bit of a lemon and since there are no lemon laws in Canada and neither the dealer or VWoC were willing to do anything, I found another dealer that gave me an extremely generous trade-in on the new TDI. I did a full disclosure to the dealer that I bought the TDI from. They were amazing and felt it was their "duty" to restore my faith in VW products. They fully understand the concept of customer service!

Anyone in Ottawa reading this, Hunt Club VW is the only place to go!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Have had a few cars over the years, in particular a couple of Mk5 and Mk6 Golfs. Have a Mk7 GTD now and its unquestionably the best of the lot.....drives like a GTI, still v quick yet returns 40+ mpg EU no matter how its driven.

I do absolutely get why people go for GTI's and R's as they are that bit better still respectively but the GTD is such a good compromise even if I were looking to buy a car (GTD is a company car) and the choice was GTI v GTD it wouldnt be an easy decision to make. IMHO the quite minor loss in outright performance vs the GTi is far outweighed by its far superior real world economy but thats just my view.

Similar story for the TDI 150. I have this engine in a Skoda Octavia (basically a stretched rebodied Mk7 Golf for those in the US), weighs about 100kg less the GTD and for a car that could easily be mistaken for a taxi-cab (we have alot of Octavia Taxis here in the UK) it properly shifts and regularly sees mid/high 50's MPG on a good mixed run.

The new gen CR's are so v good youve really got to be anti-diesel to not consider one.

Harrison

Passed Driver's Ed
I miss my Fiesta ST at the weekends. It was so much more fun to drive and I feel it is a shame that the feedback from the steering wheel of the Golf is barely existent in comparison. The Fiesta stuck to the road like anything.

However, the gadgets and comfort for my commute is appreciated. Not sure it is really worth the price difference for me personally though. Would still be difficult to go back to the Fiesta's cheap interior...

OPB58

Changed from a MB C220 auto after 4 years for something smaller and nippier. I have a 150 TDI DSG and it is just as economical even when driven on. It is much lighter and faster than the C220 and encourages you to put your foot down. Have managed 59 mpg on journeys across country of up to 60 miles. Currently, producing 53 mpg on the long term measure. Not quite as smooth as the C220 but it is a joy to drive enthusiastically whereas the C220 had a very rough diesel engine when pushed hard. To date, after 4000 miles in 10 weeks, I am very pleased with a car costing me £165 per month less than the C220.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My MK7 GTI is my favorite of the cars I've owned.
Many of the cars I had were nothing special;Nissan Sentra, Toyota Rav4, Honda Accord... among the ones I liked better was a '98 New Beetle (shared with my wife) followed by a 3series BMW also shared with my wife.
My MK6 GTI was the first new car I owned all to myself, and when I hit on that- I believed that I found the perfect car for my needs.
Room for the whole family, (I've got two kids) front wheel drive for when the the roads get snow, good fuel economy, lots of fun to drive, good looks, and - where I live - relative rarity.
My MK7 is all of those things, but better.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Best all round car out there IMO.

Also compared to the Seat Leon ST & Skoda Octavia variant, my Golf variant is the best looker & will not age as quickly in looks

again all IMO................1 year one almost & I still pinch myself when I walk to my car in the car park.....

TooManyHobbies

Ready to race!
I still think my favorite car I've ever owned was either my Mazdaspeed3, or my 2013 Mustang GT. Both more heavily modded than my golf R, TBH. I do remember always being pissed off about traction issue on both cars, but some how were still more fun. Maybe some of that is having a long commut and not being able to just go drive on saturday night open roads? Even though the R is superior to the speed3 in every category, It just doesnt FEEL as fast.

Once I get APR stage 1, I'll have my final answer. Something about the mustangs low end power is just irreplaceable..

also, to be fair, I dont get much of an opportunity to flog this car from a dead stop, which is where it would shine the most- given the AWD.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
also, to be fair, I dont get much of an opportunity to flog this car from a dead stop, which is where it would shine the most- given the AWD.

Isn't that the whole point of a traffic light? LOL

DanielSL

Ready to race!
I bought my Mk.7 simply because of the nostalgia I have for my Mk. I Rabbit GTi. My 18th B-day present. My going away to college car. My first Auto-X car. My first Road race IT class car...
I had an Audi 4000 for my first at 16, and a Rabbit diesel 2 door, for my first stage rally car. But the Rabbit fueled the fire that had started much younger.
I ended up going to work as an apprentice at a Porsche dealership during college, and had 944's, a 951, a 914, and a 914 I converted into a 914-6. None of them were the all-around car the GTi was, even though the 951 was one of my top favorites looking back.
I went through a stage where I had 5 Land Rovers at the same time, ranging from a 67 SIIA, to a 2002 Discovery II Kalahari edition. Still have two of them. One for an off-road toy, and the 67 still waiting for the full frame off I promised it at purchase.
My last stage was MB; again owning 5 at the same time, including two AMG's. An old school pre-merger 560 SEC AMG, and a new age W220 S600 V12. Have three Benzes now, and searching for number four.
Add in all of the motorcycles, boats, and other miscellaneous toys; I had to return to Volkswagen to re-capture my youth.

After 10,000 miles on the Mk.7 in the first three months of ownership, I am so happy I went back. I love the car. VW has made it feel like a true evolution of the concept. It truly has matured, but somehow still feels the same. I went through the Mk. I, several Mk. II's, a Mk. III, and my father had a Mk. V Rabbit, and the second generation New Beetle; so I've felt the gradual changes. But the jump from GTi to GTi (Mk. I, Mk. II, to Mk.7), has been unexpected.

Now after the first oil change, it's time to play with the modifications, and see what is lurking underneath...

TerryReis

Passed Driver's Ed
Previous cars:
911 C4 (Supercharged it)
Subaru Impreza(Turned it into a track car)
Merc E Class 350 CGI
Various Range Rovers
Various Discoverys
TVR Griffiths
TVR S3C
Mk5 GTi

My family (and some friends) are seriously bored with me saying how much I love it and it is the best car I have ever owned.
But it is, mixture of practicality and fun in a small chuckable package....... Unbeatable.
Did I say I love it :)

Cheers,

Terry

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
I still think my favorite car I've ever owned was either my Mazdaspeed3, or my 2013 Mustang GT. Both more heavily modded than my golf R,

Once I get APR stage 1, I'll have my final answer. Something about the mustangs low end power is just irreplaceable..
Really??
I am on my 3rd coyote(current 2015 GT) and its quick but far from a torque monster.
I've always felt that the coyote 5.0 lacked in the low end department (under 3500rpm) especially when stock and never felt as quick as it is. My modded (AED tune, Circle D stall, full exhaust) auto 14 GT pulled pretty good but needed modding to do so...

Hobby55

Ready to race!
It's a big improvement on the Mk6 I had before, but having said that every new car has been an improvement on the one before so that's not saying much...

It's no quantum leap, but I doubt any new car/model is, they are just developments on what went before...

Having said that I am more than happy with it!