GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you mount your go-pro for track recording?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I have a GoPro mount on the right side of my helmet next to the chin, doesn't bother me at all, I don't even feel it and it gives a nice view. I also have a rennline tow hook that has a GoPro mount but don't put the camera there often. My chassis is stiff and it vibrates the image too much

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
GoPro on the tow hook doesn't work well if you bump draft down the straight. ;)

It's great that there are these small cams to use these days. Back when I raced full sized VHS was the only game in town. :LOL:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You need to turn on spot metering when filming from the front seat seat. Right?
Yes. Helps with exposure between interior and exterior lighting.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Last track day out I was running probably the best couple laps I’ve ever run, slotted between an older late ‘70s/early ‘80s 930 and a Boxster. The 911 Turbo in front of me with a whale tail, huge turbo hanging low and a snake work of exhaust coming out of that turbo exhaling plumes of fire was close enough that I knew the camera was going to get some dramatic footage!
That 911 Turbo driver was having a hard time keeping that Porsche straight, oversteering through turns and when getting back on a straight- the sound and fury coming out of that machine as it would pull away was glorious. I was able to get back close to him through a few brake zone and turn sequences- all with that Boxster right behind me .
Me in my GTI, running nicely with this relic in front of me and a newer Porsche keeping the pace behind. After a couple laps I thought what a wonderful time to pit and press stop on the recording- to memorialize the glorious laps that had just occurred.... and to my chagrin, the camera mount had come loose during some threshold braking and the footage recorded Was that of my passenger seat and footwell!
Noooo!!!!

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Tested a new setup tonight. I found an old GoPro Hero 3+ that accepts external 3.5mm mics without using the ridiculous $50 official GoPro external mic module. I need to tape the mic to the bumper next time instead of clipping it to the license plate frame. I also will probably add one of those bushy things that kills wind noise. The camera angle is from a head mount on a hat, but when I track I would mount the camera to my helmet as I usually do so the angle would be better. I hope to run 2 GoPros this season, one on helmet and one maybe facing rearward or on the side for some nice B-roll footage. Video below.