GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How DKM Clutch ruined my transmission

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Please share this with anyone it could possibly save from looming catastrophic failure. All DKM Twin disc aka Stage 3 clutches are effective to this PSA.

Summed up in 120 seconds, here’s part 1

https://youtube.com/shorts/S8hSuG0UAj0?feature=share

& part 2

https://youtube.com/shorts/f1vMLuOyHrI?feature=share

Original video the day my car broke.

Finding out what exactly broke,

Tons of additional videos on my channel showing the rebuild process which has been over 2 months and thousands of dollars. I’m still 10-20 days ETA from receiving the last of the parts.

DKM is lying to other customers with these same issues saying it’s fine, and unfortunately they were smart enough to keep our conversations about these issues to phone calls rather than emails. I have nothing to gain here, but don’t want to see anyone else unnecessarily effected by what was originally a engineering oversight, but is now clearly corporate responsibility being dodged at the expense of consumers.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So even clutches assembled post '21 are prone?

We’ll, now they’re lying and denying any issues ever existed to customers asking about this so who knows.

The date range I was given was 2018-2021.

Edit: looking back at texts from when I was first notifying friends who’d potentially be effected by this June 2019 is the cut off for the known bad revision.

IMG_0362.png

I guess that’s the issue with them dragging this out over several months with tons of calls and emails. They were very careful to keep all emails vague and concise.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Man that really sucks. Hope something gets worked out. Years ago I started recording all my phone calls and it's definitely come in handy a few times like this 😂

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
I am dealing with trying to get something back from DKM for mine after the TOB exploded and soaked the clutch. Mine doesn't appear to have had this problem, and honestly gave me no problems until the TOB starting leaking.

In emails with them they acknowledged that this was a problem (when directly asked about it). However they would not give a date that it was rectified, besides telling me that my clutch was new enough to not be effected. I don't like the attitude of "oh yeah, that is a problem but you're good." while also knowing they have made no effort to notify those with clutches that have this known problem.

"To answer the disc question. That was a issue when we first released this kit and that was changed and handled shortly after. So that issue has been rectified and handled. With you having a kit purchased in Oct of 22 you are well passed any kit that would've had those discs in them!"

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I am dealing with trying to get something back from DKM for mine after the TOB exploded and soaked the clutch. Mine doesn't appear to have had this problem, and honestly gave me no problems until the TOB starting leaking.

In emails with them they acknowledged that this was a problem (when directly asked about it). However they would not give a date that it was rectified, besides telling me that my clutch was new enough to not be effected. I don't like the attitude of "oh yeah, that is a problem but you're good." while also knowing they have made no effort to notify those with clutches that have this known problem.

"To answer the disc question. That was a issue when we first released this kit and that was changed and handled shortly after. So that issue has been rectified and handled. With you having a kit purchased in Oct of 22 you are well passed any kit that would've had those discs in them!"

If your pulling yours out to replace it that’ll tell use exactly what they’re not willing to share (pre & post revision hub offset).

That’ll squash their BS to others on the FB page that no revisions were ever made (claiming this was never an issue).

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
If your pulling yours out to replace it that’ll tell use exactly what they’re not willing to share (pre & post revision hub offset).

That’ll squash their BS to others on the FB page that no revisions were ever made (claiming this was never an issue).
Sorry I didn't take any measurements prior to sending it back for warranty (hopefully). But they in no uncertain terms acknowledged in the email I received from them that it was an issue.

I asked specifically about disk hubs not being correct causing wear, and the post above was their response. So they definitely acknowledge this was a problem, that they fixed with a revision. So I would conclude that anyone with a disk prior to that revision (the date of which seems murky) has this issue.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Sorry I didn't take any measurements prior to sending it back for warranty (hopefully). But they in no uncertain terms acknowledged in the email I received from them that it was an issue.

I asked specifically about disk hubs not being correct causing wear, and the post above was their response. So they definitely acknowledge this was a problem, that they fixed with a revision. So I would conclude that anyone with a disk prior to that revision (the date of which seems murky) has this issue.

Can you screenshot that email so I can pass it along to the guy on FB?

Totally understand if you want to wait until they’ve resolved your current issues

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
so when are they claiming the fixed the loose spline of the discs? Cause my kit that was assembled near the end of 2nd quarter in 2020 - has shit fitment that I can pull out the box and show on the spare trans I have when compared to a couple other discs… and my DKM always gave me issues in its short life - when you try to shift quicky you could hear a pop/clud sound that seems like it was the second disc popping at the end if the input shaft

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
so when are they claiming the fixed the loose spline of the discs? Cause my kit that was assembled near the end of 2nd quarter in 2020 - has shit fitment that I can pull out the box and show on the spare trans I have when compared to a couple other discs… and my DKM always gave me issues in its short life - when you try to shift quicky you could hear a pop/clud sound that seems like it was the second disc popping at the end if the input shaft

Post it up, since they won’t publish or admit any fault in any of this.

hammermortyy

This happened to me too!! Brand new, freshly installed I had the DKM Stage 2 clutch kit that ECS sells. I had it professionally installed and it started acting up right away. If I held the clutch in for any amount of time in stop and go traffic the clutch pedal hesitated to come back up. I took it back to the people who installed it two days later saying something was up and they couldn't replicate the issue so they sent me on my way. 2k miles later I pressed the clutch in and it never came back up. I took it back to the people who installed it who had a warranty on their work. They determined the throw out bearing exploded... I got a replacement put in for free. I'm now scared to death of it failing again because parts and labor for my clutch was $2,300.

Edit: First clutch installed July of 2022. Replacement installed Jan 2023, 2k miles later.

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Man... hate to sound like a silver lining guy but it's really lucky you run a business on the side and have the tools and space to do this work. Imagine this shit happening while you were still living in the apartment phase of your life. I enjoyed watching the videos and seeing the transmission apart, thanks for making the best of this situation and sharing your story/info with everyone.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
My SB Stage 3 has 30K miles. No issues thus far. Is ACT better than SB, if so why?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Man... hate to sound like a silver lining guy but it's really lucky you run a business on the side and have the tools and space to do this work. Imagine this shit happening while you were still living in the apartment phase of your life. I enjoyed watching the videos and seeing the transmission apart, thanks for making the best of this situation and sharing your story/info with everyone.

I 100% agree, if this had to happen to someone I’m definitely in the best possible position to deal with it (cars been paid off for several years, shop space & ability to repair on my own, several spare vehicles to drive).

If this kind of thing happened to your average Mk7 owner it could definitely be devastating, so while it’s been expensive & labor intensive I really hope it saves countless people from falling victim to this design flaw & less than ethical way of dealing with it on DKM’s part.

My SB Stage 3 has 30K miles. No issues thus far. Is ACT better than SB, if so why?

I have no direct experience with either, lots of people have had great experiences with SBC.

I do have about 15 years experience being around SBC failures on Diesel trucks, Mk6 back when that platform was new & the first year or so of Mk7s (I’ve been here since day one). So I personally wouldn’t ever buy one (because from what I’ve seen their customer service is even worse than DKM).

If you’re not having any issues I doubt you will, so I wouldn’t worry.