GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How come CTS Turbo catch can is constantly getting full?

Sesameopen

Hi,

So I had it installed because I was getting the classic smoking under hard braking and the CTS catch can has solved it. However, my CTS Turbo catch can seems to become full every week or so. Oil levels aren't dropping too rapidly but I do not think this is normal for it to fill up so quickly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Downside to a catch can is that it's not just an oil catch can, it's also a water vapor catch can and accumulates condensate in normal driving.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Hi,

So I had it installed because I was getting the classic smoking under hard braking and the CTS catch can has solved it. However, my CTS Turbo catch can seems to become full every week or so. Oil levels aren't dropping too rapidly but I do not think this is normal for it to fill up so quickly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Unfortunately this is normal behavior but smoking the stock PCV means you're braking well (y)
The trade off to running it full time it the noted weekly or so drain interval
Any photos of your smoke show?

Sesameopen

Unfortunately this is normal behavior but smoking the stock PCV means you're braking well (y)
The trade off to running it full time it the noted weekly or so drain interval
Any photos of your smoke show?

Okay I just wasn't sure if it was normal or not as I've read some others saying they drain it every oil change or so.

Haha no smoke show photos, just got sick of the black flags.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
During the winter you will be definately getting more condensation - in fact PSA - make sure it doesnt freeze!! Might advise removing it for the winter personally. one time my innes froze up and almost blew my engine

Sesameopen

During the winter you will be definately getting more condensation - in fact PSA - make sure it doesnt freeze!! Might advise removing it for the winter personally. one time my innes froze up and almost blew my engine

Hmm never really thought about it, but I live in San Antonio and it rarely freezes, and my cars kept in my garage pretty much all the time anyways. But thanks for the heads up!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hmm never really thought about it, but I live in San Antonio and it rarely freezes, and my cars kept in my garage pretty much all the time anyways. But thanks for the heads up!

You'll only get condensation when the temperature is near freezing or below.