GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How big of a problem is the P2681 error code?

tally2425

Car(s)
Golf R
Just been driving some very bumpy roads (country roads) for the last 45 minutes, and got home then went back out and after about 10 minutes of driving i got the P2681 error code, car drives fine you wouldn't know there was a problem if the engine light wasn't on, i've got it booked in with VW on saturday but i need to drive it there (20 minute drive) this should be ok shouldn't it? also is it possible to fix at home at all?

EDIT: there is no visual leak.

Last edited:

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
P2681 is Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Control Circuit/Open .. pretty common

likely leaking thermostat or waterpump. check your coolant level, make sure it's not below min, and you'll be fine. you're going to lose coolant

tally2425

Car(s)
Golf R
P2681 is Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Control Circuit/Open .. pretty common

likely leaking thermostat or waterpump. check your coolant level, make sure it's not below min, and you'll be fine. you're going to lose coolant

there's no visual leak and the coolant is within both the lines.

How much we talking when i take it to VW?

Last edited:

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
No clue. Gonna need diagnostic and actual eyes on to figure out what's going on.

When was the coolant last filled? I'd keep an eye on the reservoir until you get it to a dealer.

tally2425

Car(s)
Golf R
No clue. Gonna need diagnostic and actual eyes on to figure out what's going on.

When was the coolant last filled? I'd keep an eye on the reservoir until you get it to a dealer.
bought it 8 months ago and done 3k miles in that time, never filled up as it's always between the lines, no leak on floor too and everything runs fine!

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I wish I only did 3k in 8mo 😂

There are smarter/more knowledgeable individuals on this forum who may have an idea beyond what I think.. hope it's not too bad when you get it to the dealer!

tally2425

Car(s)
Golf R
I wish I only did 3k in 8mo 😂

There are smarter/more knowledgeable individuals on this forum who may have an idea beyond what I think.. hope it's not too bad when you get it to the dealer!
Just checked paper work and i have 24 month warranty so all is good :D it's just getting the bugger there now!