GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How are the EQT OTS / base Accessport tunes?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
My email hasn't been answered either but I'm not joining Facebook to communicate. I know Ed has more customers on Facebook but either he or an EQT representative should be in this forum more often than Ed is.
Have you checked spam? What address are you using? We have really been on top of the general email inquiries.
— Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
When's the E30 OTS tune for IS38 GTI coming? Will it ever? Gimme gimme gimme! 😁

I'm determined to build a +400hp gti for under $1300. Because I'm a cheap bastid.
Custom only for any upgraded turbos.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Haha, hasn’t ED personally posted that it won’t be a OTS map for something like that?

Also unless you drive out to his shop to get on his dyno - you ain’t hitting 400 with e30 on a is38 😅

Now in regards to your budget...
I know of a tuner that does ots maps for is38s and various fuels.
View attachment 204033
Oh that's interesting. That might solve my problem. Their literature says HP on that tune is "From 330HP to 430 HP depending on mods and fuel type". Maybe I should write to them and see what they say for my use case.

Also, I don't know why there can't be an IS38 e30 tune for gti just as strong as the existing one for the golf r eqt makes. That one makes 420bhp according to their charts.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Oh that's interesting. That might solve my problem. Their literature says HP on that tune is "From 330HP to 430 HP depending on mods and fuel type". Maybe I should write to them and see what they say for my use case.

Also, I don't know why there can't be an IS38 e30 tune for gti just as strong as the existing one for the golf r eqt makes. That one makes 420bhp according to their charts.
Yeah on a eqt dyno... that’s known to read high.

Sneeky lists the variance due to that same reason of dyno variances... 400 is already max effort on a is38. He wall always tell you something low, as to not disappoint

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah on a eqt dyno... that’s known to read high.

Sneeky lists the variance due to that same reason of dyno variances... 400 is already max effort on a is38. He wall always tell you something low, as to not disappoint
The IS38 is past its peak at 6000 RPM so I agree that about 400 HP is tops. With a blow the motor tune and the right dyno you might see 430 HP once or twice.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
No legitimate tuner/company will tune a car so it can't be reliable. The only way they will is if the customer signs off saying they're not liable.

That said, that happens often. Money doesn't buy brains. 30whp isn't worth a blown engine/turbo.

Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying spending money on a downpipe to go stg2 when the gains from the stg1 eqt 91 and stg2 is about that much.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No legitimate tuner/company will tune a car so it can't be reliable. The only way they will is if the customer signs off saying they're not liable.

That said, that happens often. Money doesn't buy brains. 30whp isn't worth a blown engine/turbo.

Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying spending money on a downpipe to go stg2 when the gains from the stg1 eqt 91 and stg2 is about that much.
Having driven my stg1 EQT back to back with another Rabbit Edition EQT stage 2, the hp isn't the real difference. It was how quickly the turbo spooled and how responsive the throttle was. On the street, probably not a big deal, but would be nice on track.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Even then, driver mods and other variables make more of an impact, at least in my opinion. I'm not shitting on stg2 hardware/tunes, Im just having a difficult time justifying the cost:benefit ratio.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Even then, driver mods and other variables make more of an impact, at least in my opinion. I'm not shitting on stg2 hardware/tunes, Im just having a difficult time justifying the cost:benefit ratio.
I will say I had the same impression with my 3 Subarus. The DP makes a huge difference in throttle response and spool.

I'm pretty happy with my stg 1 and stg 2 will be one of the last things I do, but besides 20 to 30 hp, you spool faster and throttle is more responsive.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If you're manual, once the clutch starts to slip, that's when you start going down the rabbit hole. The clutch and the install are the expensive parts, the downpipe and tune upgrade are not. I experienced a noticeable enough difference in daily drivability, response and power to have made the stage 1 to 2 jump worthwhile for me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you're manual, once the clutch starts to slip, that's when you start going down the rabbit hole. The clutch and the install are the expensive parts, the downpipe and tune upgrade are not. I experienced a noticeable enough difference in daily drivability, response and power to have made the stage 1 to 2 jump worthwhile for me.
Definitely no slip on stg 1 91 Oct yet, knock on wood, but I won't go WOT on the street in 4th, 5th and 6th. On track, I don't think it's an issue, because you're not pulling from low rpms in those gears.

When it does slip, I'll go stg 2 after new clutch.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Definitely no slip on stg 1 91 Oct yet, knock on wood, but I won't go WOT on the street in 4th, 5th and 6th. On track, I don't think it's an issue, because you're not pulling from low rpms in those gears.

When it does slip, I'll go stg 2 after new clutch.
Your discipline > mine. I can't resist pushing it in 4th, but I never did under 4K RPM, and it still slipped on a uni stage 1 file. Mind you, the car was used when i purchased it so I am unsure of the other drivers habits. I had a Stage 2+ MK6R that I kept on the stock clutch for over 60,000KM.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I had a stg2 mk7 gti with a 6spd. Between clutch slipping and loss of traction, I'm glad I upgraded to an R with dsg.

Dp install on a gti without the LS was easy AF. On an R with haldex in the way? Not so much. 30whp isn't worth it, but that's my opinion. You do as you want.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I had a stg2 mk7 gti with a 6spd. Between clutch slipping and loss of traction, I'm glad I upgraded to an R with dsg.

Dp install on a gti without the LS was easy AF. On an R with haldex in the way? Not so much. 30whp isn't worth it, but that's my opinion. You do as you want.
At least going by EQTs dyno, it's only like 15 hp and 3 torque. I updated my clutch for stage 1, but don't really have any interest in adding a downpipe and going stage 2. There's a better chance of me buying a catback before a downpipe + tune upgrade.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
The IS38 is past its peak at 6000 RPM so I agree that about 400 HP is tops. With a blow the motor tune and the right dyno you might see 430 HP once or twice.
I should have known saying +400hp would lead to the usual quibble fest about tuners and dynos and blah blah blah.

Let's put it this way instead - Whatever the actual final numbers are don't matter.

If I could gain another 50bhp over where I am now (whatever the actual # is), for ~$1300 and a single reflash, that would be worth doing. I know I could gain 80+ for ~$2500 with a hybrid turbo and custom tune. The expense and hassle of all that and the tuning process isn't worth it to me.

So, here we are. Now deciding about going for it with FCP Euro IS38 + sneekytuned OTS.