GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How are the EQT OTS / base Accessport tunes?

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I'll be switching gas today to see if anything changes, but on a long trip, I saw some -4.22 across 2 cylinders, other two at -3.7. Getting a little concerned now given the car has only 2k mile, no other modifications aside from the EQT Stage 1 (and TCU) and a drop in filter.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'll be switching gas today to see if anything changes, but on a long trip, I saw some -4.22 across 2 cylinders, other two at -3.7. Getting a little concerned now given the car has only 2k mile, no other modifications aside from the EQT Stage 1 (and TCU) and a drop in filter.
Plugs?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Could be your problem right there. Ed recommends one step colder. FWIW, I’m on new Ruthenium’s which are a stock heat range with no issues.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Could be your problem right there. Ed recommends one step colder. FWIW, I’m on new Ruthenium’s which are a stock heat range with no issues.
I think their FAQ on their page suggests step colder on Stage 2 and above. I thought Stage 1 says no modifications needed.

I have some rutheniums I purchased a while back for my '16 GTI that I never installed, just never replaced plugs before. First car I'm doing work on and learning as I go, but replacing plugs is the most daunting project I'd tackle so I'm hesitant. Scared of fucking it up.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I think their FAQ on their page suggests step colder on Stage 2 and above. I thought Stage 1 says no modifications needed.

I have some rutheniums I purchased a while back for my '16 GTI that I never installed, just never replaced plugs before. First car I'm doing work on and learning as I go, but replacing plugs is the most daunting project I'd tackle so I'm hesitant. Scared of fucking it up.
The FAQ doesn’t mention specific stages, it just gives a blanket plug recommendation. If you check out the EQT Facebook page where Ed provides much of his customer service, you’ll see the consensus is step colder on stage 1 and 2.

However, there’s enough evidence on this forum and some on that very page to prove that Ruthenium’s work fine too so I’m ok with running those for now.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
The FAQ doesn’t mention specific stages, it just gives a blanket plug recommendation. If you check out the EQT Facebook page where Ed provides much of his customer service, you’ll see the consensus is step colder on stage 1 and 2.

However, there’s enough evidence on this forum and some on that very page to prove that Ruthenium’s work fine too so I’m ok with running those for now.
What are you gapped at? I guess I'll try to swap the plugs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No need to run a colder plug withaan OTS stage 1 tune. Some guys are running stock heat range with over 400 HP without any problems.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
How many miles do you have on the plugs? Are you sure the gas you're purchasing is okay? What does Ed have to say about the knock retard?
Car has 2k miles. Shell 93, switching to another location to test it out. Haven't reached out to Ed yet. I'm being proactive now and I'll start monitoring as I try different things.

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
What are you gapped at? I guess I'll try to swap the plugs.
+1 on Ruthenium. I changed mine about a week ago and they were gapped ~0.028" out of the box so I just put those in without adjusting the gap. Haven't seen any misfires and not seeing much knock.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Easy process. Heat up the engine. Put on work gloves. Pull on the ignition coils nice and steady. They will pop out. The rest is easy. Get a magnetic torque wrench extension for pulling out the plugs.

This is the first car I've worked on as well. I've changed my plugs twice and my wife's Beetle's plugs once.