GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How are the EQT OTS / base Accessport tunes?

impulsive.ca

Autocross Newbie
Even then, driver mods and other variables make more of an impact, at least in my opinion. I'm not shitting on stg2 hardware/tunes, Im just having a difficult time justifying the cost:benefit ratio.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Even then, driver mods and other variables make more of an impact, at least in my opinion. I'm not shitting on stg2 hardware/tunes, Im just having a difficult time justifying the cost:benefit ratio.
I will say I had the same impression with my 3 Subarus. The DP makes a huge difference in throttle response and spool.

I'm pretty happy with my stg 1 and stg 2 will be one of the last things I do, but besides 20 to 30 hp, you spool faster and throttle is more responsive.

Daks

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI PP
If you're manual, once the clutch starts to slip, that's when you start going down the rabbit hole. The clutch and the install are the expensive parts, the downpipe and tune upgrade are not. I experienced a noticeable enough difference in daily drivability, response and power to have made the stage 1 to 2 jump worthwhile for me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you're manual, once the clutch starts to slip, that's when you start going down the rabbit hole. The clutch and the install are the expensive parts, the downpipe and tune upgrade are not. I experienced a noticeable enough difference in daily drivability, response and power to have made the stage 1 to 2 jump worthwhile for me.
Definitely no slip on stg 1 91 Oct yet, knock on wood, but I won't go WOT on the street in 4th, 5th and 6th. On track, I don't think it's an issue, because you're not pulling from low rpms in those gears.

When it does slip, I'll go stg 2 after new clutch.

Daks

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI PP
Definitely no slip on stg 1 91 Oct yet, knock on wood, but I won't go WOT on the street in 4th, 5th and 6th. On track, I don't think it's an issue, because you're not pulling from low rpms in those gears.

When it does slip, I'll go stg 2 after new clutch.
Your discipline > mine. I can't resist pushing it in 4th, but I never did under 4K RPM, and it still slipped on a uni stage 1 file. Mind you, the car was used when i purchased it so I am unsure of the other drivers habits. I had a Stage 2+ MK6R that I kept on the stock clutch for over 60,000KM.

impulsive.ca

Autocross Newbie
I had a stg2 mk7 gti with a 6spd. Between clutch slipping and loss of traction, I'm glad I upgraded to an R with dsg.

Dp install on a gti without the LS was easy AF. On an R with haldex in the way? Not so much. 30whp isn't worth it, but that's my opinion. You do as you want.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 R
I had a stg2 mk7 gti with a 6spd. Between clutch slipping and loss of traction, I'm glad I upgraded to an R with dsg.

Dp install on a gti without the LS was easy AF. On an R with haldex in the way? Not so much. 30whp isn't worth it, but that's my opinion. You do as you want.
At least going by EQTs dyno, it's only like 15 hp and 3 torque. I updated my clutch for stage 1, but don't really have any interest in adding a downpipe and going stage 2. There's a better chance of me buying a catback before a downpipe + tune upgrade.

Ridebjj

Autocross Newbie
The IS38 is past its peak at 6000 RPM so I agree that about 400 HP is tops. With a blow the motor tune and the right dyno you might see 430 HP once or twice.
I should have known saying +400hp would lead to the usual quibble fest about tuners and dynos and blah blah blah.

Let's put it this way instead - Whatever the actual final numbers are don't matter.

If I could gain another 50bhp over where I am now (whatever the actual # is), for ~$1300 and a single reflash, that would be worth doing. I know I could gain 80+ for ~$2500 with a hybrid turbo and custom tune. The expense and hassle of all that and the tuning process isn't worth it to me.

So, here we are. Now deciding about going for it with FCP Euro IS38 + sneekytuned OTS.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Seeing times between max effort Is20s on custom tunes Vs ots plain Jane 38s I don’t think the performance jump between the 2 will astound you... now going hybrid with associated fueling, I can say that’s a sureal jump in power-lol

Honestly you should email Sneeky - hes quick to respond and can help steer you...maybe going with a hpfp and full e85 on the Is20 will yield you the results you want...he’s very familiar with both setups so he can give you direct results.

Ridebjj

Autocross Newbie
Seeing times between max effort Is20s on custom tunes Vs ots plain Jane 38s I don’t think the performance jump between the 2 will astound you... now going hybrid with associated fueling, I can say that’s a sureal jump in power-lol

Honestly you should email Sneeky - hes quick to respond and can help steer you...maybe going with a hpfp and full e85 on the Is20 will yield you the results you want...he’s very familiar with both setups so he can give you direct results.

Too big a hassle for full E85. I don't want to drive to the ethanol pump any more than the once every 7 weeks I do now.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Cake/eat/free, haha! Ah I forgot

You still pretty much remote working? Of your office is still near mine - there is a station that’s essentially on the way at trop and Vally view of you take 95, I use that one when I can since it’s always at 70-80% vs Murphy’s at 60-65%. Just gotta take extra caution to Avoid eye contact with the people hanging out from the budget suites.

Ridebjj

Autocross Newbie
Cake/eat/free, haha! Ah I forgot

You still pretty much remote working? Of your office is still near mine - there is a station that’s essentially on the way at trop and Vally view of you take 95, I use that one when I can since it’s always at 70-80% vs Murphy’s at 60-65%. Just gotta take extra caution to Avoid eye contact with the people hanging out from the budget suites.

I can work remote, but I don't. My office is big ass titties, so I come in. It's in the Decatur and 215 vicinity. My commute is a brisk 21 minutes via summerlin parkway and 215.

There's a shell around 1000 yards from my house, so I just always go there then back to the garage to add corn jizzins.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor

Not sure why you're talking about sneeky in a discussion about EQT tunes. FWIW, we also offer all manners of custom tuning and can get anyone set up with whatever setup and fuel meets their goals.

Thanks
-- Ed

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Not sure why you're talking about sneeky in a discussion about EQT tunes. FWIW, we also offer all manners of custom tuning and can get anyone set up with whatever setup and fuel meets their goals.

Thanks
-- Ed
Sorry, for the temp derail.

And the “why” I brought it up... easy enough to scroll back and see that and who it was directed to.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
How much does the November Boost Weather Sale save over the current prices? I don't think I can resist the stage 1 tune much longer despite originally planning on keeping my full warranty intact as long as possible.