GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How, and how often to check engine oil?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
When the car tells me to; just kidding (but not really). I check it every 5,000km or there abouts since I do oil changes every 10k... But lately with covid not driving as much so I'm checking it once a month.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Do these engines typically burn oil?
So far between my gti and wife’s GLI. Yeah. Seems like it.

I’ve added about half a qt in the GLI. It’s got about 2500 miles now. I’ve added about 150ml in the gti and it’s got about 1200 miles.

My experience is super limited and u should wait for others to chime in. But in my super limited experience. Yes. It does.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I was thinking today, I need to check my oil. How often do you check yours? And do you drive the car first, and then let it sit and check it warm?

Per the service manual, wait for at least 3 minutes after turning off the engine after a drive to check the oil level.

Dorerj15

Car(s)
16 TSI SE
16 TSI w/121K on the clock.

started to notice consumption around 85K. Nothing crazy, a quart near the end of the 10K interval.

Just did my 120K service at 119XX and at 121XX oil light came on. Level was well below the indicator marks.

Did a consumption test at around 116K and not a drop was low. Dealer told me to call when it happens again.

More to come, might bring it in let them tear it down and find the failure. I figure at 2K miles there should NOT be this much oil used.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Open up the bonnet, pull the dipstick, check the level, if it's good you're good. Make this a regular habit every week or every fill-up as it takes no real time at all. It's like going to bathroom :)
Once a week? No way I could hold it that long.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I’ve added about half a qt in the GLI. It’s got about 2500 miles now. I’ve added about 150ml in the gti and it’s got about 1200 miles.

My experience is super limited and u should wait for others to chime in. But in my super limited experience. Yes. It does.

I have 105,000 miles almost all with FBO and IS38 turbo or hybrid turbo and I haven't needed to add any oil between changes. I do change oil every 4K but I could go more miles and not need to add oil.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI

I've added 300ml in 3000km since I bought my GTI. Seems reasonable given break in time.