GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How, and how often to check engine oil?

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I was thinking today, I need to check my oil. How often do you check yours? And do you drive the car first, and then let it sit and check it warm?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
The manual says to check the oil after it has achieved normal operating temperature. So, drive it first to get the oil temperature up to a stabilized temperature, mine is normally over 200F, then shut the engine off and wait maybe 5 minutes, then check it. I normally check mine at least once per month.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Agree.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Check mine weekly because I drive 1000 miles per week. I do it in the morning only because it's easier to read the dipstick.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Do you get a higher reading when its cold in the morning than after it runs and settles back down? Or is it the other way around?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
If you mean by higher on the oil dipstick, then no. When oil is cold the the reading is lower. The oil level is higher once it has achieved normal operating temperature. Since oil is a liquid is has an expansion factor, though small, that causes it to expand when hot.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I experimented with checking level warm/cold and there is no real difference. 1x month minimum and that is only because I know it doesn't burn any.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
The difference warm vs cold is negligible but the manual recommends checking 10 or so minutes after shutdown.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I thought there was a valve in the filter housing assembly which prevented all of the oil from draining down to the sump.

There probably is. I just like checking the oil after the car has sat all night because I can just pull the dipstick out and don't need to wipe it off to see the level.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Open up the bonnet, pull the dipstick, check the level, if it's good you're good. Make this a regular habit every week or every fill-up as it takes no real time at all. It's like going to bathroom :)