GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hot and humid, stop and go.....Intercooler or Twintercooler

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I just read through his test results. With summer coming up, I'm just trying weigh which options would be best to keep IAT's down while balancing cost, ease, and performance.

There’s no wrong answer, any will be a night and day improvement.

If my kit is in the running for anyone reading keep in mind my waiting list for placing orders is about a month out right now. So if it’s something you’re considering get on the list ASAP if you want one before full blown summer heat sets in

NOTE. The lower grille doesn’t need modded in any way, this customer just liked the aggressive look

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
These threads were very educational for me back when I was researching intercoolers.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16070

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20503

GTI Jake's FMIC thread - he didn't start building these until after I bought my IE SMIC so I never looked at FMICs :(

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40388

I lived most of my life in Houston and remember driving my mk6 from The Woodlands to Katy each day for a year. During the peak of summer, my Neuspeed FMIC could barely budge temps. Throw on the AC in stop and go traffic during July/Aug and the H in Htown would stand for heatsoak, haha. Good times.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Adding turbulent heat soaked air in with your nice cool air is never a good idea.

Real question is FMIC vs Direct replacement.

So 2 hour install vs 4-5 hour installation

Better or equal performance with a properly built FMIC, Swcrow along with almost 50 others can agree with me that it’s an easy decision when broken down

I'm pretty new to ICs. Do you not remove the OEM IC when you install a FMIC? Why is the install time so much shorter?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm in Houston. 8 month out of the year it's over 90 degrees, high high humidity. Lots of stop and go.

I have a magic intercooler and a twintercooler sitting in my garage and I'm torn which one to install.

Any advise for my climate? Which type of intercooler would be best for me? I'm more concerned with daily driving temps and drivability.

I have a DP ready to install and willl be going to Stage 2 once the IC and DP are in.

Thanks.

I have an APR direct replacement, and live in the Los Angeles area. While it's not as humid as H Town, traffic is as bad. With my direct replacement, it doesn't do anything for IAT in regular, stop and go traffic. It really only works (albeit, works VERY well) when I'm ramming a shit ton of boost through it in "spirited" or track driving. True front mount might be better for the situations you describe.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I have an APR direct replacement, and live in the Los Angeles area. While it's not as humid as H Town, traffic is as bad. With my direct replacement, it doesn't do anything for IAT in regular, stop and go traffic. It really only works (albeit, works VERY well) when I'm ramming a shit ton of boost through it in "spirited" or track driving. True front mount might be better for the situations you describe.

Same with my Neuspeed IS38 FMIC. It doesnt really do anything until you are in boost. then it shoots down really quick. I find it gets down to 15F above ambient easily, and sometimes down to 10F above.

then again.. you dont need it in stop and go cruising anyway, so it doesnt really matter.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Same with my Neuspeed IS38 FMIC. It doesnt really do anything until you are in boost. then it shoots down really quick. I find it gets down to 15F above ambient easily, and sometimes down to 10F above.

then again.. you dont need it in stop and go cruising anyway, so it doesnt really matter.

Well, down in the southern parts of TX when temps are in the upper 90s and humidity hits 65%, trying to send it after sitting in traffic with AC running, an ic can really struggle to achieve those types of drops. In my personal experience at least. Couldn't datalog when I had the mk6 though. Just looked at the p3 and sighed, lol.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
Well, down in the southern parts of TX when temps are in the upper 90s and humidity hits 65%, trying to send it after sitting in traffic with AC running, an ic can really struggle to achieve those types of drops. In my personal experience at least. Couldn't datalog when I had the mk6 though. Just looked at the p3 and sighed, lol.

What IC are you running?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Go STI style and mount some sprayers & a dash switch to spray down the intercooler.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
What IC are you running?

I have the Integrated Engineering which mounts in the stock location. It is one of the commonly used options. My logs show a consistent IAT drop on WOT pulls done close together. Haven't logged in peak summer but I'd guess high temps and ac use still factors. The IE has a meth bung which might be the best solution but I don't have any experience there.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Go STI style and mount some sprayers & a dash switch to spray down the intercooler.

I almost did this in my WRX, tapping the windshield washer tank! Hesitant to do that in this car.

AaronC1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 White SE DSG
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Wondering if there's some plugs for the charge pipe entrances for the stock IC then. Seems like a good home for rodents if not plugged off.
Been searching for this answer for hours. Neuspeed FMIC apparently includes a set, but what are others doing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk