GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Didn't see this when I replied. I dont get why companies don't wanna disclose their turbo making that kinda power. It would be better for sales but everyone wants to be so secretive

The reason is that the turbo I'm testing is not in production yet. It is one variant that is being tested as a production candidate and potentially will not be the actual one for sale to the general public. Data on this particular turbo could potentially confuse future customers if they didn't understand this. *Car is tuned by 5150 Racing.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The reason is that the turbo I'm testing is not in production yet. It is one variant that is being tested as a production candidate and potentially will not be the actual one for sale to the general public. Data on this particular turbo could potentially confuse future customers if they didn't understand this. *Car is tuned by 5150 Racing.

Can you at least say who the manufacturer/seller of the turbo is?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I saw that APR is getting ready to release a drop-in IS38 hybrid. Maybe its that? Although from what I can tell the upgrade is for the Golf R. I guess its probably going to be drop in for the GTI too though

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
nobody will ever do it but it would be fun to see a turbo showdown where the top 6 turbos on the market or whatever are all swapped on the same car and dyno tested to compare spool and IATs and power etc,

I'd bet $5 and a corndog that the EQT vortex turbos would come out on top until you start getting to big $ turbos, plus since there are so many vortex turbos out there on cars now, any kinks or issues are fully worked out so my guess is they will also turn out to be the most reliable hybrid bolt on turbo available

Hoon

Autocross Champion
There are options in development that will mop up everything currently on the market short of Iroz, but theyre way more expensive and discontinued.

Built motor will be required to make use of them.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
He might tell us when it tosses a few rods out his tailpipe :p

IE Tuscan I-beam rods

There are options in development that will mop up everything currently on the market short of Iroz, but theyre way more expensive and discontinued.

Built motor will be required to make use of them.

This will always be true until the platform changes and development moves to the next platform ;)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This will always be true until the platform changes and development moves to the next platform ;)

True, I won't be in the platform at that point.

I'm surprised it's getting as much support as it had...the hybrid market is so saturated.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I saw that APR is getting ready to release a drop-in IS38 hybrid. Maybe its that? Although from what I can tell the upgrade is for the Golf R. I guess its probably going to be drop in for the GTI too though
Apr would never make a drop in turbo that makes more power than their stg3 efr7163

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I gave up on the wait for the prototype map sensor.

AEM 5 bar, boost tap, and Braille G30 on the way.

Will put it on the dyno next week hopefully for a final tune session. Looking into a different dyno shop because my regular guy can never get my tack signal right and I need accurate TQ at this point

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I gave up on the wait for the prototype map sensor.

AEM 5 bar, boost tap, and Braille G30 on the way.

Will put it on the dyno next week hopefully for a final tune session. Looking into a different dyno shop because my regular guy can never get my tack signal right and I need accurate TQ at this point

You're going to have to change your signature line after you're finished. "just another 600 whp MK7".