GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Did you track the e46? I wanna get one to track just because I feel like it would be so much better than our cars. I agree its gonna be slower in the straight tho
I raced an E46 M3 in NASA GTS3. I bought it bone stock, caged it, made it a full race car. It is insanely balanced and you can go far faster than in the GTI, or most other cars, with very low horsepower. I'm 6'5" and had a very difficult time finding a good seating postion though. I'm slowly building out my GTI to get back into racing, will be doing TT4 or 5 need year and will be able to make a more experienced comparison.
But so far, I'm blown away about how capable the GTI is. And parts are far less expensive.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
30psi boost, E48, moderate timing, zero knock at all, spinning until 100+mph.

Only issue ive had is the ECU deciding to shut the HPFP off @ 7900rpm...going to have to look into that because i do not want a repeat of that incident.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
OK i'll find the exact stuff later, but the german gray RTV i got from ECS is absolute garbage. Now my rear main seal is leaking.

Keep in mind, I was meticulous with prep (washed all surfaces at least 2-3 times with acetone) and application because i hate leaks and i didn't want to be revisiting shit like this. Used it in 3 places, so far 2 have leaked (lower tming cover and rear main).

FML im annoyed with this, not cool at all. Should have just used Permatex Ultra Black on everything, cheap, readily available and never has these issues. Ive done the front timing cover a couple times now with Ultra Black and never had an issue, should have used it on the rear main and cam girdle also.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
30psi boost, E48, moderate timing, zero knock at all, spinning until 100+mph.

Only issue ive had is the ECU deciding to shut the HPFP off @ 7900rpm...going to have to look into that because i do not want a repeat of that incident.
Why exactly are you revving out to 7900? I thought most people limit to 7800 as theres not much point in going any higher on most hybrids

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
OK i'll find the exact stuff later, but the german gray RTV i got from ECS is absolute garbage. Now my rear main seal is leaking.

Keep in mind, I was meticulous with prep (washed all surfaces at least 2-3 times with acetone) and application because i hate leaks and i didn't want to be revisiting shit like this. Used it in 3 places, so far 2 have leaked (lower tming cover and rear main).

FML im annoyed with this, not cool at all. Should have just used Permatex Ultra Black on everything, cheap, readily available and never has these issues. Ive done the front timing cover a couple times now with Ultra Black and never had an issue, should have used it on the rear main and cam girdle also.

You have a iABED rear main seal?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

How do you know you have a RMS leak. Must be pretty bad if you know already

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
fuck! that's annoying, i love permatex ultra black. Did you go with that fancier rear main seal setup?

this is going to be SOOOO fuggin epic once dialed in with some boost by gear or traction control

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
If you do shop for one, try to find a CSL E46 M3. They did not bring them over here to the States but you never know, you might get lucky and find one that was brought over from somebody because they are awesome track cars.
So the CSL is a little lighter, has a different bumper, halogen headlights, different cam, and a carbon airbox. you can get an Evolve carbon airbox, headers, schrick cams, tune, and seats and a cage for less than a quarter of the difference in price. Fuck a CSL.150k for an extra 20 hp and ~200 lbs lighter, miss me with that garbage. If you get one, first thing, do all the fluids, constant pressure valve o ring, vanos pump/seals/gaskets, verify/adjust valve clearance and reinforce the rear subframe. Once you've addressed those common failure points, you can take your time with the other mods

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Videos, or we send a description of your car to the staties. side note, 30 psi is baby boost?

:edit:
I may have missed it somewhere, but do you have port work or larger cams, or is the stock stuff happy ripping that high?