GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Doesn't CTS sell some kind of flap delete kit for our intakes? I believe it mentions something about tuning them out of the computer though?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Doesn't CTS sell some kind of flap delete kit for our intakes? I believe it mentions something about tuning them out of the computer though?

Probably, but it's not something I have interest in. I would assume the missing plates will partially reduce the effectiveness of the flap system, but those plates might be for a tumbling effect which reduces emissions. I'm not sure if they're actually intended to provide runner velocity.

I really have no interest in any mods that will compromise response, driveability, torque below the boost threshold, etc.

I know this is kind of backwards but my goal here is to maintain street manners, not make every last horsepower if it comes with sacrifices. This is a golf not a racecar, and I already couldn't hook below 100 mph so making more power doesn't really have any use.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
yeahhhh maiden voyage!!! hopefully end up with a nice sticky set of streetable front drag radials at some point too, I used to commute on Nt555r every day in a nitrous camaro and they were surprisingly sticky

Fliptrocity

Car(s)
8v S3 | B9 A4
It's been run, but not driven yet. No leaks (besides one from a fuel line fitting that I didn't touch the entire time the car was apart, lol) abnormal noises, or lights on the dash besides the usual after the battery is disconnected...and it insists it's due for an oil change lol.

Fingers crossed, looks like everything is good to go.

My only known mistake was forgetting the damn divider plates that sit in the intake ports. A friend put them in a box on the back of my bench, and it never crossed my mind when I was putting the manifold on. I've talked to a couple people who intentionally run without them and they say there is no change in drivability, but there has to be some increase in airflow and a better spray pattern from the MPI injectors. I'm going to run it as is, any drivability issue and the manifold will have to come back off to install those.

Should be driving it tonight!

So, uhh.... where you doing this?

Asking for a friend.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So the good news, the engine is running great. Quieter than the stock motor has been in years, smooth, feels perfect.

Bad news, now that I've got a few heat cycles, I have a small oil leak somewhere on the bottom front of the motor I have to chase. Very surprised by this, hopefully it's just the oil pan gasket or something silly.

So, uhh.... where you doing this?

Right now it's just break in miles, nothing fun. If I just need to make a quick adjustment I'll do a 4th gear pull pretty much anywhere and tweak the tune.

When I go out for a dedicated street tune session I go out very early morning to either Quonset or to a connector road on the CT border. There's a couple mile stretch out there with essentially zero traffic, can do pulls all day. It's a section of highway that was largely replaced by another highway and really serves no purpose now besides a place to street tune or race.

The dyno I use is in Cranston.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When I go out for a dedicated street tune session I go out very early morning to either Quonset or to a connector road on the CT border. There's a couple mile stretch out there with essentially zero traffic, can do pulls all day. It's a section of highway that was largely replaced by another highway and really serves no purpose now besides a place to street tune or race.

You talking about the stretch off Rt 6 on the Foster/Killingly line that connects Rt 6 to 395?

Also, glad to hear it mostly went well. Would love to see it when you get everything ironed out.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Does 1 pull, already on the other side of Rhode Island 😂
Pretty much!

You talking about the stretch off Rt 6 on the Foster/Killingly line that connects Rt 6 to 395?

Also, glad to hear it mostly went well. Would love to see it when you get everything ironed out.

I'm surprised you know that spot, very few people do!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm surprised you know that spot, very few people do!

I grew up in Killingly and lived there until I moved to RI about 15 years ago. Anytime I go visit the family I still have in CT, I usually take Rt 6 all the way into CT, so pretty familiar with the route. No issues with cops out there? I figured it'd be watched pretty decently since it's a prime spot to race like you said.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I grew up in Killingly and lived there until I moved to RI about 15 years ago. Anytime I go visit the family I still have in CT, I usually take Rt 6 all the way into CT, so pretty familiar with the route. No issues with cops out there? I figured it'd be watched pretty decently since it's a prime spot to race like you said.

Good job Acadia18, now everybody and their Grandmother knows the spot now. Way to tip off the Five'O...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
And lets be honest, anyone who's watched Live PD knows that the RI staties are the most giant of douchebags.
My only ticket in 25 years of driving was in RI.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R